1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What to do with spare computers?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PVTCaboose1337, Feb 23, 2009.

1. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:

Interesting reply ...

1) The 780W PSU has amazing power factor .
    2) The PSU limits are 780W not the power consumption.
    3) Its easy to throw the ball about savings and economy to others , and you ... doing nothing about it.

Act smart , save from your father some EUROs from the power bill , your family will have a better life .

If you do not care about the planet , do it for your family , if you do not care about your home , why should we believe , that you care for the strangers like the members of this forum ?

Any more questions ??

h3llb3nd4 and Azkeyz say thanks.
  2. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    PVT, I say keep doing what your doing.. With the form of Power that is being developed in this day and age, the worrying really just has to do with the plants being built. The times we get our spikes in pricing on power bills, isn't to do with over use, but the building of the plants itself. Whenever something happens with the plants and it's pushed back on construction, that's when we get our hits..

Wisconsin got hit pretty nice in the Northeastern part a couple years ago. Reason why... The same power plant that was being built, kept on getting hit by lightening.. So, they raised the bill.. Nothing to do with the people USING MORE. Just the fact that they where needing more money to fund the project.

Yes, we should care about our planet, and if we live with family, care for the finances. We're learning more, to be able to build those plants that move away from coal and anything else that can harm the Earth. Just takes time to do so..

PVTCaboose1337 and Azkeyz say thanks.
  3. Azkeyz

Azkeyz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Each computer you rebuild and use keeps them from going to a land fill or to places like bejing
    where children wade through toxic computer waste dumps in order to survive.

Our E-Waste goes there, and it kills children and the planet.

I'm going to save every computer part I possibly can , one day I'll be an old man with alot of computer parts to melt down for gold and other metals to sell to a proper E-Waste disposal facility.

Save a computer , Save the planet , Save humanity.

It all looks good on papper, but it can only work if we all do our part.

What would a crazy ole hebrew like me do with gold?
    Melt it down to make a manora as commanded by the holy one of israel of course.
    Clutching it in my arms as I'm being killed ...

All of todays computers are the result of some evil men who used them to make money.
    They will be judged. ( my unauthorized tresspassing into the mind of Alexander Gaham Bell )
    Bell considered his most famous invention an intrusion on his real work as a scientist and refused to have a telephone in his study.

I can't fill oscar shindlers shoes, but it would be nice to be remembered as the oscar shindler of computers.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
    h3llb3nd4 says thanks.
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you can always give the spare computers away. i'd welcome a few.

Its easy enough to set them up running ubuntu and sell them for $30-$50 to poorer families, so they can at least let their kids have internet access.

5. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    Give me the laptop! I want the laptop! I'll pay for shipping! I'm poor!
    Or Fold on it. :D

6. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    The laptop have all plastic around the heatsinks cut away for better temps, as well as a removed floppy drive (it was pretty tricky) and now it have a hole in the side.

Desktop A utilized 32 pennies welded together as the heatsink.

Desktop B power button has been changed to a key switch, i guess i could reinstall the original power, but I am too lazy. Also, HD is vertically mounted from string as the HD cage is non-existent.

7. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I want to see the penny heatsink :D

8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    seconded.

9. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    I'll go ahead and show you guys the penny heatsink after I get home from school today.

10. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    BIN them. (Or ebay the components).

Get yourself a nice Atom 330 system... just $100 incl. 2GB DDR2, which will out fold them at a FRACTION of the electricity requirement. PLUS is silent.

11. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Here is my penny heatsink before I installed it.

Attached Files:

DrPepper says thanks.
  12. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea it sucks too much power but my machine. 700W load/ hr = 16800W/ hr = 504,000W/ = elecctric bill is still $250 = folding is no problem

13. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it is very, very easy for me to throw the ball about savings and the economy to others because I'm not the one running 5 rigs or driving a big engine gas guzzling car. I said I don't care what HE does. How is him running his 3 computers going to make my dad's electrical bill go up? Unless what he does effects me directly, then I would care. You seem to forget that we are on a forum that is full of overclockers and extreme rig builders. You say to help the economy but I'm not the one you should be talking to on this forum. I'm not the one who has more than 1 computer, I don't have a 1,000w+ PSU with 4 video cards and a high end CPU. Worst case scenario is I leave my PC on overnight, oh my god...I'm such a monster! I forgot that an idle computer left on for a few hours while I'm asleep uses so much more power than it does when I'm awake.

It's not that I don't care for the planet, it's that I don't care what he does with his computers. Even if he gives them away, they're still going to be used.

I walk to the shops, I get the bus to school. I recycle. God, I'm such a monster.

14. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Temps :laugh:

15. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    will people stop complaining about how much electricity he will be spending? sure you can bring it up, but no "your killing our planet" etc.. PLEASE! he does wtv he wants and he problem knows "wasting" electricity is bad, but he decided to do it anyways...

ex: kiriakost, do you srsly not EVER use 300w of power with your rig??? do you ever leave the TV on for 10 minutes even though you aren't watching it? do you ever leave your comp on, even while doing nothing with it? your saving energy are you? with 2 raptors in RAID?

guess what, IDC! but at least don't criticize someone who is probably more power efficient, saver then you... he knows it's a "bad thing" to waste energy, but folding IS FOR A GOOD CAUSE, and anyways, we need the economy rolling, so more the ppl buy, better it is to come out of recession :p

16. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    I would say never give them away. I got rid of my spare rigs and bloody regret it :( I used them for chatting while gaming etc.

17. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    I agree DP there being used for a good cause and energy is not an issue but then i said that before. :p

18. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Temps are... we I have no way of measuring the temps at the bridges. I can only measure the CPU. Temp.

The base is a scavenged HS block, and I ran copper strips in between the pennies to hold them. (I had to use copper cause you cannot weld different metals without explosives) Also, I had to get pre-zinc pennies.

19. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    that heatsink is definetly one of a kind :toast:

if those rigs were in my hands id probably oc the hell out of them, and eventually kill them...

does this make me a sadist bastard...? :slap:<-myself

:roll::roll::roll:

20. steelkane

steelkane New Member

Thanks Received:
    melt them down for the gold content, gold is going for $1000 for 1 troy ounce

21. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    how much gold will he get? how much is melting all that gonna cost? guess what... less than the cost of melting it... only old cell phones have gold in them... a tiny bit... but it's at a specific place and pretty pure :)