1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

When smoking can actually prevent disease

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by qubit, Jan 3, 2014.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Frick says thanks.
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Interesting, but he does come across as sort of shitty. I mean yes the anti smoking lobby thing is probably silly where he lives, but smoking IS bloody, bloody dangerous. If I cut my leg of I will never break my toes.

It would be interesting to see how much nicotine is needed for it to make an effect. And remember smoking is bad not only because the nikotine, but the smoke itself as well. Make nikotine pills or somethin. Electronic cigarettes would be his better choice.

3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    150 poisons, 70 of which are cancer causing. Both my father and mother done in from it. My grandmother done in from it. I will admit to switching to an ecigarette now, so I don't deal with the tobacco and the chemicals that cause it. Nicotine itself is not cancer causing, and in small amounts can actually show health benefits. Weird shit....

4. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nicotene whilst not harmless is not what causes anything major with smoking, it's the combination of tar, chemical preservatives and carbon monoxide that kills you, well kills some but in my country there are several other even bigger killers than smoking, obesity (3 times more people die from diet related coronary heart desease than smoking related heart disease) being at the top of the ladder.

5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't surprise me that nicotine can have medicinal benefits, as there are thousands of compounds in our bodies that useful or even essential in our bodies at small doses, but will poison us at higher concentrations.

6. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If the nicotine is what is protective then he's better off doing snuff like i used to. Almost no health risks , far cheaper and less smelly.

7. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Read the link article and for sure the writer is one of those reactionary pricks that just enjoys going 180 degrees to the common consensus. You can get nicotine patches for UC - you certainly dont need to smoke and if you dig further, it doesn't help women smokers and it doesn't influence the rate of colectomy. What's worse is the rate of UC in former smokers is even higher.

I have a work colleague who has it and I know from his words it is cripplingly painful. He smoked while he had it and has now given up.

Found this from the world Journal of Gastroenterology. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21734782)

adulaamin and qubit say thanks.