1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which manufacturers drives have failed on you?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by tigger, Nov 2, 2011.

?

Which Manufacturers drives have failed on you?

1. Fujitsu

13.5%
  2. Hitachi

25.7%
  3. Seagate

62.2%
  4. Samsung

20.3%
  5. Western Digital

56.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    This is just so we can see which drives fail the most. You can select multiple options if you have had more than one make of drive fail on you.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    None of my drives have ever failed. And I own the IBM Deskstar that earned the series the nickname "Deathtar", still soldiering on after a decade of use.

3. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Aren't they made by hitachi? Not certain though.

4. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I too never had a drive which died completely. The worse I had was my brothers Western 80GB desktop HDD which after parking its reading heads never un-parked them, they became stuck for some odd reason, so, while the computer was stuck at BIOS waiting for the HDD response, we smacked the HDD sideways to the floors carpet a couple of times, hard, until we heard the heads seeking again. This was years ago, but it never did the same thing again, and I don't expect it too, or else it gets another beating xD

IlluminAce says thanks.
  5. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Only drive I've had die on me was my last Vertex 2.

You should add a None to that list.

6. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    I have never had a drive fail on any PC I've ever owned. That goes back to the dawn of PC time. At work, however, I've seen many a drive fail. Most of them Seagate or WD, but then they are the biggest sellers, so I'd expect that. Also, more failures in business PC because of inferior components, too small power supplies, minimal or non-existant cooling to say nothing about being placed on the floor (dusty place) and left on for years.

robn and Maban say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    No failures. And the laptop has a Hitachi.

8. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Dunno how to edit the poll to add none, so if none just don't click anything in the poll i guess.

9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I've had Seagate, Samsung, and WD fail on me. Though though my business I've seen them all failed, so I selected them all.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Not at that time. IBM sold it's harddrive business off after the Deathstar scandal.

11. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i have a hitachi 80gb bought in 2007. it doesnt have a single bad sector and all its smart charecteristics are fine. it still gives ~75MB/s read write.

but the seagate barracuda failed completely after 3 years.

also this poll is meaning less, as WD and segate being the most popular ones, they have more quantities being sold, and hence a greater amount of failures will automatically come out of them.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
    robn says thanks.
  12. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    One seagate failed on me but it was kind of my fault and i never had any samsung ,wd ,or hitachi to know how those are.

13. horik

horik

Thanks Received:
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 died on me after 2 years of use.

14. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    i had a maxtor drive crashing once.

15. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I've had mostly Seagates in the past (6 1TB drives in the past three years). Of the older drives, 4 of them have failed on me. Those failures were 1 DOA, 2 slow death, and 1 death out of the blue within 4 months of use. I really hate the barracuda line, as their earlier drives have proven themselves as better than 50-50 chance of failure within the first year....

I have Samsung and WD 500 GB harddrives (one of each), that still soldier on after 5+ years of intensive (read: OS thrashings) usage. Both of these drives are absolute tanks.

I've purchased 5 Hitachi 2 TB disks, of which 4 have been running for over a year in RAID. None of these suckers show even the mildest indications of failure.

I have an additional WD 2 TB drive that has been running for a year and a half. It isn't exactly breaking any speed records, but it always responds when I need it to.

For my money, Seagate can eat me. Their replacement service is relatively quick, almost as though their 1 TB drives were known to be bad.... I digress. Hitachi got the name Deathstar for a reason, but they've definitely moved past it (in my experience). Samsung makes a decent drive, or at least they used to. I've generally stuck with Hitachi and WD when their pricing was reasonable.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  16. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    Maxtor,

Fujitsu,

Western Digital, Western Digital, Western Digital, Western Digital.....

In WD's defense, ALL of their drives lasted out the warranty period just fine, but ALL of them also failed within weeks of the warranty expiring - I have never purchased another western digital since.

I now exclusively use Seagate, with astonishing success - I have only ever had 2 failures - with that 7200.11 firmware bug, but both dives where re-flashed, and repaired and are still running just fine to this very day.

Since 1998 I have used over 200 Seagate drives with NO failure and don't plan on ever using any other make of mechanical drive.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Flibolito

Flibolito

Thanks Received:
    I have had a WD 640GB Black go down. I think it was mishandled during shipping. WD replaced it in a hurry and were great about it. I bought a second one and had a nice RAID 0 array.

18. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    oh shit look at seagate!

19. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Two Seagate drives (in RAID 1!) and one WD that arrived DOA.

I have a SCSI drive from work that failed in spectacular style, grind marks near the center of the top platter and magnetic dust everywhere. Great conversation peice. Cover is gone, so I don't know the make.

20. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    2 very old Seagate failed on me, but they "died of age", so I am not going to count. The last one is Samsung, my brother dropped it :ohwell:

The rest are good.

21. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Only Fujitsu have actually failed on me and never had a Samsung or Hitachi HDD. WD drives never stopped working and strangely never had a bad block with them were as with Seagates i always tend to get bad blocks but neither have broken down to the point of not working at all.

However the closest i have had to a breakdown of a WD or seagate was a WD 850MB HDD were the PCB actually came loose.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  22. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    2 small Samsungs failed after only 2 years, 1 Seagate after 4,5 years, which i think doesnt count

23. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Does sending samsungs back for errors count? Otherwise none.

24. Eric_Cartman

Eric_Cartman

Thanks Received:
    I wish there was a way to multiple vote for Western Digital.

My Caviar Green drive has died 3 times on my in just over a year and a half.

Twice it started clicking loudly a few days before it died.

So I could get my data off it.

The third time it just died right in the middle of me using the computer.

The computer just locked up and when I rebooted the drive was gone and I couldn't get any computer to detect it.

Also my roommate's Caviar Black died twice on him.

When he finally replaced it with a RE4 drive that drive died two weeks after he bought it.

And before anyone says something else must be going on with out drives he has a Samsung 250GB that he keeps in his machine that is always in use downloading torrents and it has run strong without any issue for years.

So it isn't any outside force killing the drives.

Western Digital just makes crap drives.

25. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I agree WD is crap. Ive seen at least 10 go bad before 2 years. Ive never seen a Sansung go bad yet