1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which mobo for new build?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by mithrandir, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mithrandir New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't planning on upgrading soon, but I came across some bargains in a sale and got myself some parts to kickstart a new dual core build

You can see my main rig on the left.

Well, I got myself a C2D e4600 along with some OCZ Reaper HPC 4gb (2x2GB).
    I'm planning to put this into a case I bought a while ago, a Silverstone TJ08.
    I'm also looking to transfer most of my parts from the rig (on left).

I'm currently looking at finding a very stable and clockable mobo for this setup. I've mainly been looking for Micro-atx mobos so I can use it in the TJ08, but if they are not worth it then I'd probably go for an ATX mobo.

Here are some of the mobos I've been looking at and would appreciate comments or suggestions, especially with the hsf I'm looking at (Xigmatek HDT-S1283):

DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS - expensive and concerns with the PCIE 2.0 running at 8x.
    Asus P5Q-VM
    Asus P5Q-EM
    Asus P5E-VM SE
    Asus P5E-V HDMI
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI

Or will I be better off with an ATX (for stability/OC'ability/price)
    Many thanks!
  2. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
  3. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    i would get the DFI LP DK p45-t2rs
    it is about the same as the JR but it is its full size big brother.
    mithrandir says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. mithrandir New Member

Thanks Received:
    True, but not when I got the e4600 for peanuts (from PC world recently :D)
  5. mithrandir New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read there's two versions of this mobo, a plus and normal one (unless I'm mistaking it for another model)
    Also would this big bro version run the pcie 2.0 at full a6 speed or is restricted to 8x speed when only one slot is being used?
  6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Hiya mithrandir!

What's the concern with the 8X slot? Are you going to be running single card or crossfire? Only reason I am asking is because the performance drop is very minimal, but mainly dependent on the card.
  7. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    Theres something wrong here..the words 'PC world' and 'got it for peanuts' together? no way man, tell me how much
  8. mithrandir New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, single card to start with (my 2900gt), but I'd like a lasting mobo and will probably upgrade my gpu within the year. I know current cards don't make full use of the ports just yet, but the new gen of cards I think will.
    Just seems the performance might run slower than pcie 1.1 @16. (PCIe 2.0 x8 running at 4 lanes upstream and 4 down, whereas PCIe 1.1 x16 will run at 8 upstream and 8 down)

They had e6320s and loads of other stuff (like the OCZ reapers), but it was a case of being in luck at the local store to get them to check stocks.

£9.97
  9. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    it will run 1 PCI-E slot at 16x when the 2nd one isn't in use when they both are used they both run X8.
    The Plus has more SATA ports and MAYBE some different bios options but the non-plus should be just fine.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. mithrandir New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, I read DFI has confirmed that even with one slot max speed is at 8x (PCIe 2.0), just a little concerned on it's limitations in future use (considering the price of this mobo is pretty much same or more than a very good ATX board).

Thanks
  11. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    sorry for not giving you the right info. different sources seem to have different info but if DFI confirmed it then it much be 8x :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Jr is in fact 8X for the GPU. Also something to concider is alot of users complaining that they have trouble with getting CPU coolers to fit well. So essentially there goes good overclocking, unless you are using a waterblock!

Have a look see for yourselves.... http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49
    mithrandir says thanks.