1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which "PSU" Should I Choose?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by swordfish666, Jun 17, 2010.

1. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    swordfish666 says thanks.
  2. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I know what you mean . I truly only comment on the ones I have Actually had and used .
    The RocketFish PSU I still have is a very powerful PSU rock solid and very nice and still working great , The BFG PSU's I have had were less that desirable ( went out on me less than 30 days after buying it ) Enermax is a good PSU had a couple of them thought they were ok they have heat issues ( at least for me it did ) . Corsair is like the Cadillac of them all IMHO . Rock solid and runs cool can put out enough power to do the job and then some ! Thermaltake NOT good at all IMHO Just like the BFG PSU it went out 30 days after purchase !
    I also had the Xion and the coolermaster and a Xconect all very bad .
    That is why I stick with what works for me . so far rocketfish and you know corsair is my top pick . :D

3. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Amen brotha, those freakin' PSU's are TOUGH!

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Latest review, card alone, 273w. Double it, 546w, meaning the cards alone are consuming 45.5a of the 70a provided by the 12v rails, leaving just under 300w for the rest of the system. This assumes he never runs furmark or anything.

I'm not saying that HX850 or TX850 wouldn't run the system, but my concern is how long will it run the system. I'm not a fan of running a power supply near its max constantly. I'm well aware that he could probably get away with running an 850w power supply, however it will be near its max, and I prefer to error on the side of caution. I'd rather run a 1000w power supply at 70% load and know I've got more than enough power than run an 850w power supply at 82%+. It is just my preference. I'm not saying you or Trickson are wrong, I'm saying what my preference is, I'd spend the extra $50 and get an HX1000 over an HX850 and be sure, but again, that is just what I would do and my preference.

I'm well aware that most people drastically over estimate how big of a power supply you really need. I'm well aware that a system like mine doesn't need a 850w power supply, in fact I know I can run a good 550w easily.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    If the psu is designed to run at 850w I expect it to do so. I have another rig pulling close to 80-85% of the rated 500w it puts out and that's been running for more than a year now.

6. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    And it probably will continue to do so for a good while, but again I prefer not to do it.

7. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Then don't . Fact is they can run at full speed for years if they couldn't do so then they would not get buyers to come back and buy there stuff .
    When they rate them they run them full on full out , They MAX them out and run them at full speed for a very long time this endures that you get what you pay for . Or am I missing some thing ? :confused:

8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, PSUs have never not lived up to what they are rated for...:rolleyes:

And a PSU that maybe spends a year in developement, and I'm being nice here, is impossible to run full out for years on end to make sure it stands up. An good 850w might run the load for years, but I know a good 1000w PSU will.

And buyers, as I've already pointed out, are stupid. They buy 850w power supplies, put them in computers running 400w loads that they think are pulling a lot more than they really are, and then praise how great the PSU was because it lasted so long and never gave them any problems...

9. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I have pushed mine to 800w 24/7 for about 3 months and well it is still working fine .

10. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    ummmm.... Will he be Folding + crunching 100%? I doubt that. On idle, there is alot of room. and gaming, or whatever he does, isn't Furmark. As long as you don't OC your 4870x2 too much, you are fine with a 850W Corsair.

11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    No no no, they are simply uninformed. TITANIC difference.

12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    oc'd 4850x2/4870x2 i could furmark no issues :slap:

13. trickson

Thanks Received:
    See he is trying to say you are wrong , thing is not very convincingly .
    How many times must I say this a PSU Is made to work at full out put 100% at 100% all the time ! how can you MARKET a product to the GP Stating they put out 800w/70A/+12.0 or WHATEVER and then take it home and run it just to find that it is only good for 600W ?.. , I do not get the logic on that . My video card , CPU and WB tech / water cooling only make's it to 600W . That was running One video card ( The GTX260 MSI ) . So even my RocketFish 700W PSU was more than enough for mine ( This was MAX wattage ever used , Over clocked and running OCCT and folding ! MAX wattage I seen was 600w ) . I just can't see this need to add WAY more than one really needs is all .

14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    If I was concerned that he was folding or crunching 100% 24/7, I would have used the maximum numbers, not the peak numbers that W1z gets under a game situation.

Well, right off the bat, you are actually wrong. Why? Because I'm not saying anyone is wrong, I'm stating my preference when picking a power supply, and erroring on the side of caution.

PSUs can run 100% all the time, but doing so can lead to premature death, just like his current 750w. And this entire crap about "how can you MARKET a product to the GP Stating they put out 800w/70A/+12.0 or WHATEVER and then take it home and run it just to find that it is only good for 600W ?.. , I do not get the logic on that ." and using that for logic behind why a PSU can run 100% non-stop is total crap, and shows how little you know. Whan some examples? Ok:

How about a 1050w that can't handle anything over a 600w load? I know, not possible, because they test this things under load for years before releasing them on the market, right? They spend years on end testing them to make sure they will run at 100% load for 5+ years, they absolutely know this, before releasing the PSU...

But that entire arguement doesn't really apply to anything I've said, because again, my preference is to not run a PSU at 100% or even very near it, when talking about something that can potentially kill my entire system when it dies, I prefer to have some headroom. Again, this is my preference, you have yours. We've both state our preference, I haven't said anyone is wrong.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  15. trickson

Thanks Received:
    :banghead::slap:

16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    newteckie does have a point depends if the PSU is marketed with peak wattage or continuous wattage. my thermaltake is marketed as cont. wattage 850w at 45C or some shit like that the diablo he linked is marketed 1050w peak if the room is -200C and the stars aline in the cosmos. hence why my Tt handled 4870X2+4850X2 and a X6 in games furmark etc even if i hit 850w thats what the PSU was made to do. this is how PCP&C markets their PSU's as well and its also how the 500w OCZ modxtreme i have back how is set up.

17. SUPERREDDEVIL

SUPERREDDEVIL

Thanks Received:
    go Corsair. Quality, stability, warranty, nice Amps, nice cables, nice ALL! even the box with the bundles inside! :D

18. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    there is two ways to rate a PSU. what its capable of doing 24/7 (sustained load) or its peak values, which is basically what it reaches and can do for 60 seconds before it pops.

800W peak PSU can be sold as an 800W PSU, but its likely gunna pop if you run it at 500W+ on a regular basis.

i'm not sure which side of the fence you were on from that post, just adding my two cents.

19. starams5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    "remember how these threads go you have to buy a corsair......." My thoughts exactly, nothing worse than the band wagon affect (product owners excluded). I bought my 1st Antec 1000w late 2007, the 2nd early 2008 and they're both still going strong. I'll definitely be going back Antec, but from the numbers I've seen the Corsairs PSU is a good unit (untested).

20. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Had a similar ''debate'' about pretty much the same thing over in one of my older threads:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=124222

Personally, i would feel comfortable running 2x GTX 470's on a Corsair 850w PSU.(not overclocked though). As long as your not doing major overclocking and running it a 100% load all the time, it should work out fine. Corsair makes some very quality PSU's, i wouldn't worry.;)