1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which PSU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by oli_ramsay, Mar 12, 2008.

?

Which one?

1. ThermalTake ToughPower 650W with Qfan

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. ThermalTake ToughPower 750W without Qfan

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    I'm upgrading my puter soon to the following specs:

MSI P35 Neo2 FR
    E6600 (gonna be overclocking)
    8800GT (Gonna OC)
    4GB PC6400 CL4 Patriot
    3 HDDs
    DVD RW

I'm currently using an EZCool 650W PSU to power the system in my current specs, but I've heard they are quite poo, so I don;t wanna risk running a new system off it.

Anyway I've narrowed my PSU choice to either ThermalTake ToughPower 650W with a Qfan or 750W without Qfan (both are about the same price).

The reason I've chose these 2 is because it's modular (I can sleeve it much easier) and it doesn't have an LED fan (which would have inevitably been blue which wont go with my colour scheme).

I was gonna get a Corsair 620 HX PSU but the cables aren't round and sleeving them would make it look a bit poo.

So do you think I should get the 650 with Qfan or woul teh 750W be better?

2. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    which ever has the best efficiency rating and the highest amps on the 12v rails will be best for crossfire or sli.

I belive the 750 would be best i always stress to get more than your hardware needs.

1. for future upgrades sli crossfire quads etc..

2.the more strain on a psu the more heat its components will generate and life span shortens.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
    oli_ramsay says thanks.
  3. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice, as long as it's stable, reliable and quiet then it's all good. I doubt I'll ever go Xfire or SLi but it's always nice to have the option. I think the 650W would be OK for multi GPU anyway.

According to ThermalTake's site they both have 4 12V rails with 18Amps on each rail.

(http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0116/w0116.asp and http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/ToughPower/w0163/w0163.asp)

So far I'm thinking of going for the Qfan due to it's quietness as my PC is right next 2 my bed.

4. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Well yea i think for your current hardware the 650 be fine then if you arent worried about the long term.
    i know things are getting more energy efficient which is all good but there also bringing out more cores and quad crossfire etc so the need for a good psu is still there.

oli_ramsay says thanks.