1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why 64 bit software looks slowly enter the market

Discussion in 'General Software' started by micropage7, Mar 27, 2011.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i just wanna ask about your opinion bout 64 bit software, since 64 bit offers us many advantages than 32 bit, and our pc and gadgets go complicated and ready for 64 bit. why the 64 bit software looks slow entering the market

2. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    i would assume because MOST software has no use for 64bit.

3. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    It's because the user market doesn't need it(yet).
    Supply and demand is the case here as usual. Take the server market for example. There about 99% of the market is 64bit and the rest is dedicated 32/16/8bit.
    When the consumer starts demanding 64bit, the market will adapt and provide. But frankly when most people don't even know the difference between 32bit and 64bit, you won't see that change any time in the near future...

micropage7 says thanks.
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    unless a program needs to address more than 4GB of ram, 64 bit isnt needed.

to give you an understanding of how progress IS being made, the following short steps:

32 bit app in 32 bit windows = 2GB address space, maximum.
    32 bit app in 64 bit windows = 4GB max.
    64 bit in 64 bit windows = some ungodly number in the terabyte range.

the shift to 64 bit OS's has helped us double how much ram is available to modern programs, but until 4GB per program is common (meaning, the average prebuilt PC has more like 16-32GB of ram minimum) then 64 bit apps will be rare.

games should have taken off with 64 bit, but they havent thanks to the consoles. (this is sarcasm. they're holding us back)

5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    so it return to market demand, and it would be harder coz most wont notice any difference between them right? on the other side we are too familiar with 32bit software and it makes some think that why i need to move to 64 bit, 32 bit works well on me

6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    well heres a question, how many apps do you use, that hit a 4GB limit?

i only have a few that breach 2GB, and outside of games thats usually because of memory leaks in the programs.

7. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I had problems with Fallout 4 in Win7 x64 with made the game crash very very often so I installed Windows XP x32 and this problem was past.
    Now I am on Win7 x32 since I only have 4GB ram and I am in the believe it causes less problems or than x64 with 32 bit software.
    Really, so few apps and games make use of 64 bits so its next to worthless if not for more than 4Gb ram usage.
    If the next Windows would be only availible with 64 bit only, then maybe more and more apps and games would be 64 bit too.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  8. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are many programs, such as drawing, editing, rendering, CAD, CAM, etc., that will use all the RAM you throw at them. This is when having a 64bit system makes a huge different.

For most peoples' "everyday" applications you will see little, if any, difference.

9. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    Yeah in for example CAD, photo-apps, video-apps and games even if the app itself is 32bit they benefit for Win x64 since the app can then use more than the 2GB ram limit per app in Win x32.

10. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    They will not do this for awhile yet for two reasons ...
    1) Not all computer in use are capable of running a 64 bit OS. This is especially true in the business world.
    2) Without some kind of 32 bit support, all 32 bit application will cease to function. This would be a complete deal-breaker. Many large apps (like ERP and such) that businesses depend upon may not be compiled in 64 bit.

One could state that for those that need 32 bit support, simply remain at a previous OS, but that would be a very foolish move for an OS developer in terms of sales and forcing legacy support.

11. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    The reason i dont use 64bit is enforced driver signing, some of my stuff dont have signed drivers and its not possible to get them to work on 64bit, unless there is a usable workaround?

12. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    yet it says you are using Windows 7 x64 in your specs?

13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Forgot to update it lol. 2 ticks :p

14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the solution is to get hardware newer than 2003, and not made by chinese manufacturers who have no idea what signed drivers are.

erixx and trickson say thanks.
  15. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I would like to see more products from the USA ( one reason I like Intel ) , But I do not think we will get much more than that from any electronics company for sure .
    I must say I love the 64 bit OS as for 64 bit programs they are out there just not in abundance at all . Thing is 32 bit is far easier and in more of a demand than 64 bit . If more people would take the time to LEARN about computers ( Man I know they teach this crap in schools now ! ) and buy wisely this would be a non issue . Console gaming is holding us back ! The cell phone industry is also holding us back ! :mad: What sucks the most from all this ? We never really get to see the full potential of our systems ever ! We are stuck with all this hard core supper powerful hardware and a 64 bit OS and get nothing but 32 it software to run on it ! Still holding the full potential of our systems back !

16. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean by easier here? Nothing hard about compiling a program for 64 bit use.

17. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    One of my things is a VFD front panel display, no chance of a signed driver there, and the other is a 400x digital usb microscope (very useful for volt mods) from maplins. both very useful to me, so x86 it has to be for now.

18. trickson

Thanks Received:
    What I mean is it is easier in the sense that you will only have to make one compiling for 32 bit and not 2 one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit . make sense ? :confused:
    In the end less time and money spent .

Kreij says thanks.
  19. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Yes, makes sense now. That's why I asked what you meant. Thanks :toast:

trickson says thanks.
  20. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah some times it is hard to convey what I mean as my thoughts go faster than my fingers :slap: .

21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    on the microscope, a 32 bit VMware could have handled that. bit clumsy for the VFD, however.

22. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:

And i guess as most common programs are X86 they will go the cheaper/easier option and compile for that.

23. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Maybe i could lose the VFD, but it just dont seem worth the reinstall tbh. i'll probs change at some point when i have to reinstall mebbe.

24. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    The actual compiling to 64 bit is not really any more costly. Where cost starts to enter the picture is that you would need to do twice the testing (once for each version), house both executable and make them available for download (or distribution), and have support for both versions.

If a product has no use for the advantages of 64 bit (ie. requiring > 2GB address space), and the OS fully supports 32 bit execution, it begs the question, "Why bother with a 64 bit version?"

trickson says thanks.
  25. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Its not just purely a memory thing is it? Just so there is more addresable ram, for people using programs which need large amounts of ram.