1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why I stick to techpowerup for news

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by ArmoredCavalry, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ArmoredCavalry

ArmoredCavalry New Member

Thanks Received:
    They reminded me why I stick to techpowerup for news:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/1702...the_vista_but_windows_7_looks_impressive.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/170342/upgrading_to_windows_7_why_bother.html

referring to XP users:
    Oh, so 82 percent of people who haven't used Vista, don't like it? Only 2 percent of people who haven't tried Vista like it??? That is so weird, who woulda thunk?

What an unbiased statement. Reporting at its best....

/end sarcasm

Seriously, these are the people with a print magazine? :laugh: :shadedshu
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    lol, great stuff.

i bet they use 4GB of ram in XP as well...
  3. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    It was out of 5000 readers, of course it isn't going to sound accurate. I'm sure there are PLENTY of people that use Vista and have no problems.
    Which I see your point to sticking to TPU for news
    Personally, I've never used Vista (but am using Server 2008) and I like it. No problems there. Especially with the both Service Packs on it.
    Of course, having that kind of quote in there is kinda ridiculous and not needed. But, it may have been wanted by the head or whoever.
    But as far as the accuracy for 5000 people, meh, it could be right. Just so happens that out of those 5000, 2% liked it :laugh:
  4. ArmoredCavalry

Thanks Received:
    I think that a more accurate statement would have been "82% of our xp users don't like Vista from what they have read in our articles, however 2% do."
    Mussels says thanks.
  5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

[​IMG]
    according to steam, with modern results - gamers dont seem to dislike vista that much.

55.04% of users, are on XP.
    36.82% are on vista
    4.2% are on win 7 x64 (yay, go 7!)
  6. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    lets be honest though - windows 7 is really vista, just the way it should have been
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no, the problem is that vista was late. it didnt matter if the thing was free and twice as fast as XP, everyone hated it just because it wasnt XP. whatever OS came out after 7 years of XP was going to take the fall, and the next one after it was going to be the next competitor.

if 7 remains in the market for 7 years, bet your ass everyone will hate windows 8 the same way
  8. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    Very true. I agree that articles have scared off many people from even attempting to try it out.
    I make up that 0.45% using XP x64 :rockout:
  9. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Thats the way i see it also.
    Windows 7 is just a updated vista with most of the bugs worked out of it.
  10. ArmoredCavalry

Thanks Received:
    I'm not really sure if it is, or if that is just what it is being marketed as...

Vista could have been Windows7, yes, but that would have meant Microsoft waiting a years, and continuously updating an o/s before they even bothered releasing it. They didn't do that with XP, so they figured why do it with Vista. Windows7 only runs so well because it was built off a stable Vista. :p

It is like what Windows ME could have been to '98 had Microsoft not totally screwed things up. :p

So, in short, Windows 7 certainly has its place. But without Vista it would not be there.
  11. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Stick to TPU for news, save kittens :pimp:

And check out the results of our survey along the way.
  12. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    My own guess will be 7 wont be around for as long Xp before as ive already heard stuff about 8 but who knows.
  13. Kovoet

Kovoet

Thanks Received:
    Main reason I haven't used vista is basiclly down to gaming and being a stubborn old man scared to change. But in saying that I am quite looking forward to 7 but the biggest question I would like to ask you guys is?

Do you wait for the service pack or do we go straight into and take it at it's stride.

Sitting here pondering about it I also think I did not like the layout of it. But thats me just being a stubborn old fart. Although I had no qualms from changing from 98 to XP
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    well... i'm already on it. zero issues.

Since its based on the vista core, any fixes they came up for in vista SP1/2 are already applied to 7. Things they couldnt patch, were worked out at an earlier level (such as vistas network slowing down when audio was playing)
  15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I used the first RC of Vista and it was pretty solid. I didn't see any need to upgrade though, so I didn't. XP is still a decent os, but it's too old for it's own good. I will probably go Win7, if I have the money for it. When will it be released btw?
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    october 22nd.

its already out on technet and MSDN
  17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Most of the bugs are worked out of Vista now too :). I do think all those who spent hard cash on Vista SHOULD get Win 7 for free or at least 1/2 price.
  18. ArmoredCavalry

Thanks Received:
    yeah I got it free from MSNDAA. :p

Same way I got Vista. :toast:
  19. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    They did offer it at 58% off with the preorder for the first 3 weeks

A little fun here:laugh:
    ArmoredCavalry says thanks.
  20. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    windows 7 IS NOT vista after they fixed it.

its a whole new OS.

fucking idiots.

vista is not a POS either.

ppl are too fucking stubborn to upgrade cause no one likes a change in what they already are used to using and they also dont want to buy anything thats not tangeble. purchasing any software is almost always grumbled about, especially ones that cost alot or have a subscription.

if you want some real number you need to talk to some real customers of a PC repair/sales business/shop. then you'll get some real honest answers and opinions.
  21. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    YeaH I have to agree, I think they went pre-vista core for W7, kind of a smaller more efficient in between XP core, Vista was to soon, and will most likely be W8 Vista HP 64 can handle 32gb twice as much mem as W7 HP 64, I think that's a way of saying Vista is good for the future systems,just not so much current systems
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  22. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am currently on Vista and wouldn't move back to XP purely for the use of DX10 and that is it.

With Vista, I get considerably less performance out of my PC than I did with XP64, there are loads of annoying things you have to turn off and tweaks you got to make to get it running decent at all, and you get lots of annoying little mini-freezes (2-3) seconds all over the place (especially with MediaPlayer) that I never used to get with XP.

DX10 aside, from my experience of using it, Vista is actually worse than XP. No doubt about it.
  23. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Then you Sir should look up How to optimize Vista on this very forum, i think if done right Vista is far better than XP ever was, but some things are done differently, and you have to learn the new ways, that's all i have to say
  24. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox New Member

Thanks Received:
    *******Edit: moved to a new thread, since it doesnt fit in very well in this thread, even if the topic is relevant.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009