1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why is PC gaming not as big as it once was?

Discussion in 'Games' started by El_Mayo, Aug 5, 2011.

1. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

2. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the Bee is a god gamer.

[​IMG]

El_Mayo, Mussels and digibucc say thanks.
  3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    the only way imo bee ;)

4. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    With that list I gave, can you play GTAIV or Crysis2 maxed out? I don't think so...
    Also, I don't care if a PC is more than a gaming platform... we are talking about gaming.
    Also, Don't care about TV and Monitor... consider we are playing in the same monitor/TV

you still have your PS3 to play your games and whatever... as for the accessories, I would think that the consoles bring the controllers don't they?? :banghead:

also, I have lots of PC games I cannot play in win7... and there are many.

Not all of them suck.... Fable2, MGS, GT, Forza, Halo, God of war, Haze, Lair, LittleBigPlanet, Motorstorm, Resistance...

here is a reasonable system I made in Newegg:

APEX PC-389-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    $29.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    $47.99

MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    $189.99

Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE ...
    $89.99

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 1000
    $26.99

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2K2/4GR
    $47.99

GIGABYTE GA-P45T-ES3G LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
    $79.25

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E6500
    $79.99

and the total is around 600USD

I don't think a lower spec PC would play Crysis or GTA very well in 1080P, even in low graphics

anyway, staying in topic, PC gaming is bigger and better than it was... maybe not commercially.

5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    And your point? There is still the functionality of the PC over the console....

What about the A8-3850+HD6670 pair in hybrid crossfire, 1080p on a console can be easily replicated in IQ with 1600x900 2xAA on a PC, so still a super strong video card would not be needed HD5770-esque.

As I said before PC games should be ported to a Console NOT the other way around. Lazy devs!

Then dual boot Windows XP or keep some legacy hardware around.

6. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Not the case anymore. They are having to scale down
    the games to be able to run on the console. :ohwell:

7. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed.
    I Hate to have the power of my PC wasted on Poor Console ports

8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    skullfox:

a lot of those games you listed that dont suck, are pretty bland on PC. look at halo: Xbox owners think its utterly awesomesauce from god, but to PC gamers its just another shooter with aliens. the plot was average, the controls average, the only fun thing about it was the story (which i liked, btw).

lets not even bother with the price of the PC parts you listed, it can be done so easy to match a console. stick with 720p like they do on low textures, and a modest $500 PC can handle it with ease.

and then you went to win7... again, missing the point completely. ever heard of dual boot? my system can run XP just fine if i want older games, and VM's if i want even older than that.

your comments make it sound like you made a choice without thinking about it and now you're looking for reasons to defend that choice - not that you thought about it in advance, are explaining your thought process.

digibucc says thanks.
  9. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Why do you have to own the consoles though?

I can rent the consoles but not high-end gaming computers.

10. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    It's hard for devs to program games for PC, because there are many PCs out there with different hardwares while consoles use the same hardware.

It's the same reason why WOW is more popular than others... the requirement to play it is super low.

SkullFox says thanks.
  11. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you heard about any system nowadays that can boot Windows 98?? no?? me neither that why I have lots of games catching dust.

Also, for some reason I can't install the XP on my system... he doesn't see my Raid 0 HDDs.

LOLOL:rolleyes:
    Agreed...

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    an excellent argument. i wont bother responding to you now, i think you made my point for me.

13. SkullFox New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just said that because of what you said.... I made a choice without thinking... c'mon:p I just had to laugh....

--------

You have two paths for gaming:

1 - You want to play. No hardware problems, just plug the system in and play... - Buy a console
    2 - You want to play with the best graphics. You also want versatility, but you should expect some problems with drivers/compatibility and so on. Also quite expensive. - Buy a PC

14. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    For older games, just run Dosbox, or a virtual pc if you can't dual boot. Problem solved.

Then you can play new games, older legacy games, and even run emulators for console games. You'll win everywhere.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  15. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Does a console play either of those games maxed out? I mean really, lets compare consoles play Crysis 2 on DX9 with low settings to a PC you want to play maxed out on DX11 for cheap, that makes absolutely zero sense. As I have said the entire time, stop comparing consoles to PC's playing the games at max settings, because consoles do not play maxed out. And what list are you talking about? And what do you consider maxed? A lot of console games don't even use AA, because it's a killer setting, I believe with dropped AA a 2GB 6950 could play either of those maxed. But thats beyond the point, compare them on equal settings, and on equal settings you can build a cheap PC, also I forgot, are you posting this from your console? If not, then why doesn't it matter that PC's do more?

And I do care about monitor, simply because, I have a $650 TV and my PC monitor only cost $300, it's a massive difference.

digibucc says thanks.
  16. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey you're from Mozambique! I sent you money via western union to get your rich uncle out of jail and now I see you buying video games with it?!? WTF! I think I've been had!

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  17. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: incoming infraction for you?

18. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Well, they are still falling for that e-mail scam in the future. At least in Deus EX HR! :D

19. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    GTA IV looks horrible on the PS3. Even FIFA 11 and NBA 2K11, compared to their PC versions. And those two aren't exactly known for their graphics. The difference are miles away, even my cousin's old and cheap computer can max out FIFA 11 and NBA 2K11 at a slightly higher resolution (1600x900) than a console and yet still looks better even with the "greater load." And that's with a 9500 GT.

20. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    PC gaming is as big as it ever was in my living room.

21. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    1. Actually consoles can have hardware problems as well and when they do can be quite expensive and harder to repair then just opening up a PC and replacing a part. Ever heard of the Red Ring of Death (RROD) or Yellow light of Death (YLOD)? Both my friends came running to me when their PS3 and Xbox 360 respectively both got those hardware malfunctions. They were pretty much SOL... had to fork out another $400... Could have bought an $800 PC that would have lasted them years. You'd hope they would learn their lesson.. but nope.

2. Everything you say minus the you should expect drivers/compatibility problems and the expensive part is relative. For $100 bucks more I'd rather get a PC. Not to mention when consoles first come out... $600 for a PS3 isn't exactly cheap either.

Drivers are easy to obtain and usually most devices today are just plug and play. Plug it in and your good to go. Also what's with the compatibly? Just make sure what ever game/hardware you get is Windows 7 ready or supports your OS and bam... your good to go.

22. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I'll fix it #1 for you.

1 - You want to play. No hardware problems, just go to a place that lets you rent consoles... - Rent a console

Considering the TVs are usually 23"-32", that's not a problem, and considering it's very cheap, you don't have to buy the consoles themselves and you save money for other expenses, like upgrading a PC that can do something else besides gaming for example. You save on electricity since the consoles and TV are not using your house's electricity but the establishment's.

23. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    It's been said...

Consoles, you buy a Ps3 it will play any Ps3 game, it's a few hundred dollars and they look great.

People go to Walmart and buy an Emachine and then go buy Starcraft 2 and complain it doesn't play it, so then they go to the geek squad and cry and get told hundreds of dollars worth of upgrades and then go nope, no way, not putting more money into upgrading a system than the system cost in the first place.

Not to mention most households only have 1 computer. Most households have more than 1 tv.

Again we come into a cost thing.
    To expand on the cost more, you buy a computer capable of playing most games decently $1500 call it... Well that's a Ps3 and a LOT of games.

Another thing to consider is console games mostly support 2 sometimes more players at once, not true with most pc games not utilizing the same system.

Physical size and the honestly I find that a lot of people don't even know that PC's can play some pretty sick games... They just have no knowledge to the fact.

I find personally that console games are generally complete and fairly bug free on release... When's the last time you could say the same about a big PC title...

Lastly, there is a still a large group of people in this world who are totally against even owning a computer, mostly due to a lack of knowledge or simply being scared of the concept of owning one from all the horror stories about identity theft etc doing around, I have countless amounts of customers who ask me to block facebook on their systems for their childrens safety... Some we are talking about high school students..

I would LOVE for you to build me a system for $100 over the cost of a PS3 with anywhere near the graphics ability, don't forget I'm going to need that to play Blu-ray, the other half of the problem.

SkullFox says thanks.
  24. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, you see the devs of ancient has thought of that. They have an Option/Settings sub-menu in the game's menu to solve that ;)

:shadedshu
    Would've done you better if you helped your country out of it's debts.

SkullFox says thanks.
  25. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I haven't been able to lease a console in my area since the 16-bit era. it's cheaper to own than lease. 50% of Netflix subscribers stream through consoles and the PS3 doubles as a Blu-ray player so they have other uses.