• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will a RTX 4070 TI super bottleneck a Ryzen 9 7950X3D?

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
You can almost linearly scale RAM performance with latency.
The same is not true for MT.

Infinity fabric being tied to memory speed muddles the waters somewhat, but you can see the effect of running out of sync even with much greater bandwidth on performance (negative).

Why? Because latency.

CPU is sitting around idle for most nanoseconds it's active. Either waiting for data from cache or data from memory.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Yeah, already know that. It's all already as tuned as can be and everyone else probably knows after seeing 7+ notifications.

Thread is probably over at this point with derailments.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Dell 27 4K Monitor S2721QS; Samsung Odyssey G55 Curved 2K 144 Hz LC27G55TQWRXEN
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Pro
320 W is a standard TDP for a GPU of this segment, it is lower than the RX 7900 XTX's, and adding to that, the RTX 4080 does not reach ~300 W for the vast majority of workloads, and I'm gaming at 4K. The 4080S is no different.

The 4080/S are, in fact, the most power efficient GPUs currently available from a raw performance to power draw perspective.
oh, okay, I know this case, when stated power draw is less than actual, well, it's ok, but I like when it's 1:1, but that's me.

32GB is still plenty for that. If you have programs open that use so much RAM that 32GB is not enough you'll have having a CPU and/or GPU performance impact most likely. Example, if you're running UE5 or Blender in the background you'll probably loose some frame rates. Generally I find games crash more with constant minimizing as well. Some games work fine, others crash or have frame rate issues if constantly minimizing and maximizing. I can't recall which games it was but I recently played a game that would get frame rate issues if minimized 3-4 times. Restarting the game would of course fix it.

So I'd always recommend shutting down programs unless necessary. Leaving your browser, Discord or whatever on is fine of course. But if your background programs are using 10-20GB of RAM I assume they're quite demanding and not just in RAM.
that's sh*t games, if they "have issues", when minimizing. PC isn't a dumb kiosk that you can only have "that gamee" on big screen and can't open up a calculator for little sister, lol

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
that's sh*t games, if they "have issues", when minimizing. PC isn't a dumb kiosk that you can only have "that gamee" on big screen and can't open up a calculator for little sister, lol

Yeah I don't like that either. It is probably around half of all PC games I've ever played. There are some games that work fine. Horizon Forbidden West, which I am playing is one such example. I can minimize without issue if needed when necessary. Also runs amazing, while getting 90-100 frame rates on my PC.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
Hello!

I ask this question for a friend.

His pc is the following:

Ryzen 9 7950X3d
Asus Rog strix B650-A Gaming
64gb Corsair vengeance ddr5 5600mhz
Windows 11 pro 64 bit installed on a samsung evo 860

And currently he has a gtx 3060 12gb as a gpu.

He wants to upgrade to a new videocard in about a month from now, and he is wondering, if a 4070 ti super would still bottleneck his cpu.

I myself dont think so. But i'm not really sure about it, so therefore this question.

He also have the option to buy a 4080 super, but that one is more expensive, so its only an option if the 4070 ti super is guaranteed to bottleneck his 7950x3d.

So, can anyone provide some info on this matter?

Thank you very much on forehand from myself and my friend.

Greetings from Martijn

ps. He also believes that his ram might be bottlenecking his cpu, and asked me to type this in this post as well. But honestly, cause of it being 64gb and ddr5, I dont think thats an issue that big.
How do he know that his cpu is being bottlenecked? Because it is not utilised 100% in games or something? Well, news flash: that cpu is overkill for basically every game on the market. It will never, ever, ever be fully utilised in a game. No matter what gpu you pair it with today.

Your friend only need to worry about one thing: Will the 4070ti Super give him the performance he want in games? Or would a 4080 Super or even 4090 be required to fulfill his requirements? We know that the cpu will not be the limiting factor. Any of those choices is a significant upgrade from that 3060.

And that ram is fine. Your friend need to stop worrying so much. Sure, you can find faster ram. But we are talking minimal gains in performance 99.9% of the time.

Installing Windows on any old sata ssd is a wise choice btw. Windows is hardly optimised enough to make any significant use of a nvme drive anyway. It is better to have Windows on a slower ssd and games etc on a faster nvme ssd, than both on the same drive.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
It will never, ever, ever be fully utilised in a game. No matter what gpu you pair it with today.
Simply false.

There are many games that are CPU bound.

Sure, you can find faster ram. But we are talking minimal gains in performance 99.9% of the time.
Also an exaggeration. RAM tuning is one of the best ways to gain performance on the Zen platform.

AMD themselves recommend at least 6000 MT for the "sweet spot".

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
Simply false.

There are many games that are CPU bound.
We're not talking cpus in general. How many games are specifically cpu bound by a 7950X3D? Meaning it has an actual impact on how the game runs, not 302 vs 305 fps or some benchmarking nonsense. Off the top of my head, I can think of one potential game: MS Flight Simulator. But having a multithreaded load to max out what is essentially "a 7800X3D and a 7800X" without running into other bottlenecks is a very limited niche scenario.

Also an exaggeration. RAM tuning is one of the best ways to gain performance on the Zen platform.

AMD themselves recommend at least 6000 MT for the "sweet spot".
"Sweet spot" vs actually giving meaningful performance increase in normal use? And as you said, there are more to gain by tuning the existing ram instead of buying a new, marginally better set if we take cost into account. OP's friend already have that set of ram after all.
I seriously doubt that you can do a double blind test and pick out 5600MT/s vs 6000MT/s in normal use. Run a ram intensive benchmark and you will find out right away, but by playing games?

If we were discussing benchmarking and how to optimise your hardware for that, nitpick away. It seems to me that you are not reading the audience properly in this thread though.

I stand by what I said from the perspective of a gamer with a high spec computer. Specifically with regards to what gpu would be viable for their current pc in this case.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
I stand by what I said from the perspective of a gamer with a high spec computer. Specifically with regards to what gpu would be viable for their current pc in this case.
Installing Windows on any old sata ssd is a wise choice btw. Windows is hardly optimised enough to make any significant use of a nvme drive anyway. It is better to have Windows on a slower ssd and games etc on a faster nvme ssd, than both on the same drive.
Bad advice. Games do not make use of storage performance anywhere near how an OS does or day to day applications such as browsers, office clients or working software. The opposite of what you are recommending is the ideal way to set up a multiple drive system. Fastest and/or smallest for the OS, larger capacity but no specific need to be particularly fast beyond just being an SSD for bulk storage and games.
It will never, ever, ever be fully utilised in a game.
We know that the cpu will not be the limiting factor.
Objectively false.

There are literally hundreds of games, many of which have tens of thousands of daily players where even top tier CPUs dictate FPS and GPU is nowhere near 100% utilisation, indicating a CPU bottleneck.

Improving RAM and/or CPU performance directly affects FPS in these games.

And no. I'm not talking about 300 vs 400 FPS.

We're not talking cpus in general. How many games are specifically cpu bound by a 7950X3D? Meaning it has an actual impact on how the game runs, not 302 vs 305 fps or some benchmarking nonsense. Off the top of my head, I can think of one potential game: MS Flight Simulator. But having a multithreaded load to max out what is essentially "a 7800X3D and a 7800X" without running into other bottlenecks is a very limited niche scenario.

"Sweet spot" vs actually giving meaningful performance increase in normal use? And as you said, there are more to gain by tuning the existing ram instead of buying a new, marginally better set if we take cost into account. OP's friend already have that set of ram after all.
I seriously doubt that you can do a double blind test and pick out 5600MT/s vs 6000MT/s in normal use. Run a ram intensive benchmark and you will find out right away, but by playing games?
Literally just from tuning memory or using a faster kit you can get 40 more FPS in some games.

@ir_cow

ir_cow

Staff member
For AMD there is a clear split between 5600 MT/s and 6000 MT/s.

Will you be able to see it in a double blind test? I think so if done correctly. A game the user plays a lot is the key. If I played a new game right now, it will be hard to tell if the lack of smoothness is just related to the game itself, CPU / GPU combo or memory related. But a game you know well, it will be noticable in my opinion.

However, there is a is data to back up that there is a good gain from 5600 to 6000. If you were to tune both? Well that I don't have a answer for yet. It takes time to run these tests.

Last edited:
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Lightening PG
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120SE CPU cooler, 3x 140mm, 1x 120mm case fan
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Flare X5 DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070
Storage 2TB Sandisk SSD, 2TB P31 SK Hynix, 4TB WD SN850X, WD Black 6TB, WD Red Plus 12TB
Case Fractal Design Definse S
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent w/red LED
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Pro
There are literally hundreds of games, many of which have tens of thousands of daily players where even top tier CPUs dictate FPS and GPU is nowhere near 100% utilisation, indicating a CPU bottleneck.

Improving RAM and/or CPU performance directly affects FPS in these games.

DCS, ArmA, Flight Simulator 2020. Typically niche PC games. Often they have poor optimization. DCS recently added multi threading which did wonders though a good CPU will still increase frame rates. I assume some RTS games will benefit greatly as well.

A linear corridor shooter like Call of Duty SP campaigns that have little going on tend to be much more GPU intensive where CPUs matter a lot less. So it does depend heavily on the game you're playing. If you have the money, a 7800X3D is essentially the best gaming CPU. It might trade blows with some of the other top end CPUs but with AM5 you can always upgrade while keeping the motherboard if desired when the 88** come out.