1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will you upgrade soon with Bulldozer/Fusion/Sandybridge next year?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by EastCoasthandle, Nov 18, 2010.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just wondering if anyone is considering upgrading their PC now when new hardware is coming next year?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    I know I'm waiting. I've been waiting much too long. I intended to go am3, but when I heard that they might change sockets finally, I took a sleeping pill. ;) Anyways, I'm gonna take another sleeping pill to see what intel is gonna offer with sandy bridge too if ever amd cranks its chip first. But it seems it will be q2 at best for intel (the k's, from what I have read) Yeah I know with technology, it'll always update and I might wait forever, but I really want a massive uber increase over what I have now. Which I think it will be! hehe!

3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Possibly, depending on price, I'm really happy with my 1055t and 5850's. But maybe tax time I'll sell it all off and upgrade to Bulldozer and 6970's or whatever is out then.

4. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    My plans: Move Our HTPC to an AM3+ mobo and make it bulldozer ready.

5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    I think i'll be with i7/X58 for a while, as games aren't warranting an upgrade for me and my current job is crappy and i know my money will be spent on much more important things then more hardware.

But whenever i do get some money for a major upgrade and if Bulldozer/Sandy bridge are still out then it will all come down to what i can afford and what the performance looks like.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  6. roast

roast

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty happy with my current Mobo/CPU. I don't think upgrading to another platform is justified for me right now. However, I do plan to upgrade GPU's soon.

7. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Thats a very important factor for me too. But in my case, I've waited much much too long. My rig is kinda of a grandpa here, not that it bothers me, since I don't even use it 100%. But for people with i7's and uber rigs out there, it won't be such a great upgrade in theory. But I'm sure said companies will come out with a stupid conspiracy theory to lure them to buy their chips! :laugh:

CDdude55 says thanks.
  8. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    No I see no need for me to do it at this time . Maybe in another year or 2 .

9. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    If there is a Bulldozer that performs similarly to my i7920, I may go AMD. When I bought this mobo/ram/cpu, I had expected the platform to have fair longevity, but it's getting the old heave-ho by intel, which means my investment in this comp was something of a bad choice. Not really an upgrade, more of a side-step I expect, but I may.

10. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it is a Q2 2011 wait for the next gen of Intel chips that wil actually be worth having (i.e. the K series), then that will put Bulldozer right in the frame of competition. Would Intel really do that? If they did, then there would be a high probabiliy of losing me as a customer, and no doubt countless hundreds of thousands of others.

My understanding is that the K series chips will be released in Jan 2011, but the higher end LG2011 socket chips will not be until Q3 2011.

11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Nope, I've got what I need. GPU and memory can always change, but the CPU is more than enough, especially if I unlock the extra core and level 3 cahche, and overlock it.

12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I doubt it. My CPU still rocks for anything I can think up to do with it, aside from getting more threads to crunch on.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I had been planning to get an i7 but changed my mind and will wait till next year.
    After all, all games run fine on my current setup..

14. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    I doubt I'd change too, unless it's performance is spectacular. In reality I'll probably just grab a 1090T & more ram.

15. SpeedsticK

SpeedsticK New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im just going to wait to see what intels sandybridge is like, or anything else for next year, but i do plan on getting someting from intel if its any good.

16. caleb

Thanks Received:
    YEA AND I AM DESPERATE (Look at my spec's)
    Always some other priorities. Never get married if u wanna keep up with new hardware.
    I'm fkn getting blind of playing BC2 on 1280x1024 res 17" screen.