1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

win 7 32bit hangs when I add a 2nd hdd

Discussion in 'General Software' started by overclocking101, Mar 19, 2013.

1. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    makes no sense never had this happen. got 3 different spare drives and for some reason no matter which one I add or all 3 of them it loads windows then I restart after windows installs the drivers. then when I restart it hangs on load every time and i cant load windows unless I unhook all other drives except the C: drive WTF!

2. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    corrupt hard drives?

overclocking101 says thanks.
  3. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    dont think so, 3 seperate drives. all 3 work fine boot to windows, then windows installs the drives and requests a restart, at this poiunt the drive (s) are working fine you can test them or format them or whatever. then I restart the pc and upon windows loading again it hangs at the pulsating window screen.
    the rig this is on is a 785g phenom 2 X4 and 4gb ddr3 using onboard video, 500w psu is more then enough

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That sounds like bad hard drives to me. On the rig that I won from one of the WCG contests from Norton, the eSATA controller is actually make the BIOS hang when there is a bad drive plugged into either of the SATA ports or the eSATA port tied to the secondary controller.

I would confirm that drives are good before anything else.

Could you, very carefully, describe the process? You're posts are a little confusing and I don't think I'm fully understanding what you're doing to make this happen and what you have confirmed to be working already.

5. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    ok every test i have run to date has came up good, before installing one of them it was installed in my main rig and ran fine for a year in the main rig. smart status comes back ok at post. what should i do to tell if the drive is good or not? other then run hdtune and smart checks that is

6. pigulici

pigulici

Thanks Received:
    Change the data cable for that hdd...

7. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Did you try reinstalling your sata/chipset drivers? Sounds to me like something going wrong there.

8. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    bad hard drive.

9. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like you haven't changed the boot order when you have plugged these hard drives in. You even said they still have windows installs on them so chances are its trying to boot from one of the disks you plugged in.