1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Window gone mad

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Kade, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Kade New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok how it is a got back yestarday turn my comp on and it said a file has been removed or corrupt it was a system32 file or the acctually folder so i loaded up the windows disk but not sure how to recover yet i pressed f11 on start up and booted from hdd and it works but my bootup devise is the hdd soo can anyone help fix it.
  2. rhythmeister New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, there's an interesting sentence with no punctuation or grammar! Some of us could prob help if you gave some detailed info' on your system and the file that was corrupted (maybe yr hard drive needs examined?)...besides the fact that every1's hanging out in the thread with the triumphant return of the only lady here I believe :D
  3. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    lmao!!

now! reinstall windows! just boot off the disk, and let is scan for "previous versions of windows" and then select the os and reinstall, works for me every time something like that happens!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. tofu

tofu New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try running chkdsk before you go fix it with the CD.

To do so you:
    1.) Start > Run > cmd
    2.) A new window should open up, dos display
    3.) type "chkdsk /F", without quotations, a space between chkdsk and the /
    4.) When it asks you if you want to schedule a scan at bootup, type Y and press enter
    5.) Reboot and CHKDSK will run, correcting any errors in your file system, which is probably your culprit.

:D
  5. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think he's saying he CAN'T get into windows.

ok the post above me is ALMOST right, to boot from CD repair because you can't get into windows.

First insert the cd. After that press F11 or whatever key it is to go t a one time boot menu, than select the CD-ROM/DVD ROM selection (it may be spelled differently. After that it will say "press any key to boot from cd" do so basically press ENTER. Let it load up all the drivers and install files. It will than ask you what you want to do press the R key to repair your current windows. wait 10 seconds (unless your not using a US keyboard). It will than ask you to select a "Windows" installation, usually its the number 1 do that and it tells you to enter your Administrative password, just simply press ENTER (unless you have a password for your administrative account). than type in CHKDSK /F, after that it will tell you if there is errors and if it fixed them, but we aren't done yet!!!!, after thats all said and done its time to do one more thing. Type in CHKDSK /R and let your system run depending on the errors it finds and the size of your hard drive this can take anywhere from 10-60 minutes :p maybe even longer. After that is all done, the fun part...type in EXIT and it will reboot take the cd out of the drive and hopefully that will work if not you probably need to reinstall windows.

hope this explains how to use the repair console a little-bit.

I'm a computer tech at a local repair shop this solution fixes at least 75 percent of all the computers that come in here :p.

EDIT: You may have to change the boot up properties in your BIOS to have your cd drive boot up before the HDD. ;)
  6. Kade New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes i could of put in more detail but it seems people have already solved it but yes thx for pointing out and i will try all what everyone has said :D

Do you know come to think of it i didnt think of a CHKDSK lol
  7. Kade New Member

Thanks Received:
    right ok as my comp has really gone mad i did chkdsk using cd, results well it said there was no errors and when i tryed to repair it seem to go up to about 66 -70% then go back to 50 and stay there for ages and after a while i just rebooted it.
  8. Kade New Member

Thanks Received:
    well it looks like im in that 30% it hasnt seem to work whats happen is it gets to to white loading part then frezes and says "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt" "Windows/System32/Config/System guess ill have to reinstall window could any help? and is there way to still be able to keep my old files.?
  9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    wow your hdd is prolly stroking right now....ok its giving you that error because it cant read the disk....your going to need to get some alcohole wipes or just a really really soft shirt and rub anything on the disk off that should fix your read problems then try to do a repair install.
  10. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Wipe his disk?

I am sure you mean the Windows CD.

But more than likely your HDD is failing. Corruption occurs en masse when the drives heads have become damaged. I have a laptop in the other room that is a good paperweight.

Get a floppy disk and find another computer to download the manufacturers drive test off of, or buy another drive and install windows on that, leaving the current drive unplugged, when you are ready try copying your files to the new drive.

In this case you might also put the drive into a ziplock bag in the freezer overnight, take it out and with it still zipped in the bag, as best as possible, reattach it and try copying the data.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  11. Kade New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i did a windows reistall everything seems ok for now thx for all yours help will get back if summin else happens to it :p
  12. joinmeindeath417

Thanks Received:
    first you gotta put the zip lock back in a vat of water than in the freezer with the ide cable attached with an extension molex cord

than plug the bitch in

(only do this if you want a really cool effects show and a shot pc)
  13. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    I would really and honestly check the drive.
  14. Kade New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes i do believe you guys are right my drive is starting to fail everytime i boot it seems to make a funny noise im going to buy a new one. So how would i transfer?
  15. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    First? Stop using it.

Second, buy a new drive.

Third, Install windows on the new drive.

Fourth, just copy the "My Documents" folder, and any other stuff you want to keep.
  16. Kade New Member

Thanks Received:
    but then wouldnt i need a new cd-key?
    also as this hdd still seems to be kinda working can i not just use it till i get my new one ?

Also can you suggest any?
  17. rhythmeister New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry if I came across as rude, I was only messing around and have difficulty with writing in the style of James Joyce!
    :roll:
  18. Kade New Member

Thanks Received:
  19. joinmeindeath417

Thanks Received:
    well if you want all you data to be taken from the temperamental hard drive than we suggest you don't use it so when you get a new one you can copy all your files to the new one without hassle
  20. Kade New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry but now that harddrive completely inaccessable soo if i delete everything on that hdd and install windows on the new one can i still use the old cd-key?