1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WindowBlinds & Windows 64-bit Edition

Discussion in 'General Software' started by OrbitzXT, Apr 24, 2007.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently installed the 64 bit edition of XP for the first time just to try it out, also I was sick of having 3.2GB of RAM. I love the program WindowBlinds but every version I've downloaded keeps prompting me to reboot. I tried different compatibility modes but nada. Does anyone with this version of XP know how to get this program working? I can't stand the standard blue taskbar. Also if this program just doesn't work with 64 bit XP is there another similar program to spice up my desktop?
  2. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    Get the UXtheme patch and then just apply new themes yourself.

ps I linked the 64bit version.
  3. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not familiar with this, how do I use it? I registered at the site you linked and downloaded it. I ran the installer and a DOS screen popped up, Windows complained about replacing original files. So what now? ><
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Allow it to replace the files. Then to change the themes, just look for .msstyles based themes. You have to manually install some of them. The themes folder is located in C:/windows/resources/themes. Using the uxtheme patch is also generally more stable than Window Blinds or other programs of that nature.
  5. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got it working, I like how my desktop looks nice, simple but sleek. Here's my a screenshot of my desktop.
  6. SpoonMuffin New Member

Thanks Received:
    should probbly ask stardock about windowblinds problems with x64, afterall they make it.

and i hate xp themes, they suck, windowblinds can kickass, and i havent had any stab problems with it on 2000 or 2003, hell i use to run it on an nt4 server i had because one of the themes had some helpfull buttons built in(like letting u minimize apps to their title bar) NEVER run stardock betas on a system u want stable tho.

other shell apps u should try
    aston
    talisman desktop

injoy, they offer some neet fetures, u can make ur own gui that replaces explorer using talisman :) (good for HTPC or MPC use, or for Kids and kaosks.