• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 11 Now Officially Adware as Microsoft Embeds Ads in the Start Menu

Processor i7-14700k
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi
Cooling DeepCool LS720
Memory 32gb GSkill DDR5-6400 CL32 Trident Z5
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 LE
Storage 990 Pro 1tb, 980 Pro 512gb, WD black 4tb
Display(s) 3 x HP EliteDisplay E273
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitec MK520
Keyboard Logitec MK520
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi 35805
meh, still not enough to make me switch to Linux. There are other more pressing things to whine and complain about...

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
I have been using Win11 nearly a year, and not once have i felt like something has been moved (added/removed) so drastically that i felt things were "out of place".
Try to place the taskbar at the upper border of the screen.
- Win 10: No problem
- Win 11: not possible

Actually Edge is in startup by default and run on first boot. It cannot be closed trough GUI and must be killed trough task manager instead. Then manually removed from startup and then 3rd party script to uninstall it because MS wont let you uninstall it trough GUI.

Even after all that Edge Update remnant remains in the list of installed programs and cannot be removed. I swear they have made me hate edge like a piece of malware despite the fact that i dont even use it.
I would be indifferent to it, if it simply existed as preinstalled program that could be removed and did not run at startup by default.
That is also not that correct. I'm living within the EU and I deinstalled edge.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
I am getting a sense of deja vu from all the previous times Linux had a “best chance” to supplant Windows.
I am willing to bet significant sums of money that this time will go exactly like all those previous ones.

The naked truth no computer nerds wants to admit is that Linux is just about worthless for the largest majority of people. Normal people (who aren't tech savvy nor retain a great interest in computers) are simply not willing to learn how to use it unless it's something that's been dumbed down to the extreme (eg. SteamOS, which borders on being a single-purpose system) and requires as little maintenance as possible, not to mention most would move to the Mac before they bother with the freetards and their ideological nonsense permeating every aspect of the experience. They'd sooner go on tirades about how systemd is philosophically evil than get together and agree on distro-agnostic open standards that every flavor of Linux follows... or even go as far as correcting my post here since I am talking about the "GNU/Linux kernel" and that distributions are technically operating systems of their own, "deal with it"... yeah i'll deal with your dependency hells and endless terminal use by using Windows or buying a Mac.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
The naked truth no computer nerds wants to admit is that Linux is just about worthless for the largest majority of people. Normal people (who aren't tech savvy nor retain a great interest in computers) are simply not willing to learn how to use it unless it's something that's been dumbed down to the extreme (eg. SteamOS, which borders on being a single-purpose system) and requires as little maintenance as possible, not to mention most would move to the Mac before they bother with the freetards and their ideological nonsense permeating every aspect of the experience. They'd sooner go on tirades about how systemd is philosophically evil than get together and agree on distro-agnostic open standards that every flavor of Linux follows... or even go as far as correcting my post here since I am talking about the "GNU/Linux kernel" and that distributions are technically operating systems of their own, "deal with it"... yeah i'll deal with your dependency hells and endless terminal use by using Windows or buying a Mac.
Modern Linux has a "start menu", same as Windows, a built-in video player, web browser, and office suite. It couldn't be any simpler. I actually tested it with my dad a couple of years ago (because he corrupted all his Windows installations within a couple of months before that). While he never really liked the UI, he actually learned to use it, except for organising his downloads folder, which is also an issue on Windows, so it doesn't count. Now, he's back on Windows 10 because he somehow managed to corrupt his Linux installation as well.

Not seen any ads in Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2024 yet.

Runs as smooth as Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021 did on my PC except HDR runs better and I can now use RTX HDR too which requires WDDM 3.1.
Where do I, as an individual, buy a single license of Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC 2024? Is it a monthly subscription product? I paid $200 for Windows 11 Pro but it still has ads. I'm open to anything to get rid of this adware but I can't find how to buy this version anywhere. Microsoft says to contact sales and they haven't responded to me.

Modern Linux has a "start menu", same as Windows, a built-in video player, web browser, and office suite. It couldn't be any simpler. I actually tested it with my dad a couple of years ago (because he corrupted all his Windows installations within a couple of months before that). While he never really liked the UI, he actually learned to use it, except for organising his downloads folder, which is also an issue on Windows, so it doesn't count. Now, he's back on Windows 10 because he somehow managed to corrupt his Linux installation as well.
Your dad sounds like my mother. She doesn't read the text on message boxes and just clicks whatever button. Give her nuke and a message box saying "Do you want to destroy the world? [Yes or No]" and there is a 50% chance she'll nuke someone like she nuked quite a lot of my data. :roll:

EDIT: She is 75 now and retired after many years as an engineer. Never had an issue with computers when se was active. Her mind is still sharp but at some point her brain just decided "Message boxes are not worth reading" and that was that. Fortunately having backups is very easy now and I don't have to burn DVDs anymore to keep my data safe and as long as she doesn't get control of a popup-happy nuclear arsenal I have nothing to complain about. :laugh:

Last edited:
System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Where do I, as an individual, buy a single license of Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC 2024? Is it a monthly subscription product? I paid $200 for Windows 11 Pro but it still has ads. I'm open to anything to get rid of this adware but I can't find how to buy this version anywhere. Microsoft says to contact sales and they haven't responded to me.

Because this edition is not intended to be licensed to or used by end users. It is not feature complete and it follows a different maintenance schedule.

Pretty much everyone using Windows for IoT is using grey market keys or pirated their OS.

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
Edit a HOSTS file, use a different start menu alternative, make some regedit changes, etc. You wont see the "ads" again.
You miss the point. The point is not how to work it around. The point is we need this workaround. Vastly unfortunately so.

More bloating, disabled alt-codes (not all of them but WHO CARES AT THIS POINT), ridiculously stupid context menu with 99.9% probability of needing to click "advanced options," gaming instability, et cetera et cetera, it's not fine, it's awful. W11 is worse than W10 in almost any way. And W10 is barely acceptable to begin with.

M$ already were on my "you must yohoho their software" list. Don't see a way they will leave it. Eh, only if gaming on Linux wasn't a complete joke.
You know, when the choice of OS is solely based on playing games there should be a red light blinking.
Linux distro, like Ubuntu, even Debian has been fine for regular users for years. Heck, it's easier to use if you explain some things. I have both Win10 and Mint installed and I've been playing games using Proton. I'm not sure why I stick to Win10 at this point, but this 'experience' you speak of... it's a reaction of an addict.

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
You know, when the choice of OS is solely based on playing games there should be a red light blinking.
If whatever OS does all the rest of my wants equally great then why bother? Gaming is the only variable here, and Windows wins by a great margin. Red light should only be blinking if you for some reason hate video games and disapprove of them being a valid activity. Or overdo on games, which is also not a great idea.
but this 'experience' you speak of... it's a reaction of an addict.
Not sure if I understand you here. If you mean I'm only negative because Linux doesn't let me play games as easily as Windows does, you're wrong. I want competition: I want whatever non-NVIDIA GPU vendor to be a threat to NVIDIA; I want whatever non-Windows OS to make folks question Windows as a go-to gaming option; I want monopoly to begone.

M$ feel like they can't be punished. This is what makes me hate the situation. Linux being unable to run games smoothly without additional software (Wine, Proton, you name it) is one of the reasons why a major chunk of PCs is still Windows-based.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Dell 27 4K Monitor S2721QS; Samsung Odyssey G55 Curved 2K 144 Hz LC27G55TQWRXEN
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Pro
Not seen any ads in Windows 11 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2024 yet.

Runs as smooth as Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021 did on my PC except HDR runs better and I can now use RTX HDR too which requires WDDM 3.1.
uhm, do you use insider build? It's not about ads will be in RTM but there is no LTSC 11 final yet, or am I missed smth? :D

I want a screw driver, not a swiss army knife with million functions i never use and convoluted UI. Tabbed explorer is enough for me. The only feature im missing is the option to pin tabs and for windows to respect single window policy where new links are opened as new tabs in existing window, not new explorer windows.

2004-2006: XP. Hated it. Hated the kids toy look and colors.
2006-2009: Vista. I had a very powerful system at the time so i had no problem running it and i quite liked it.
2009-2019: 7. By far the best one. I skipped 8 entirely and 10 by four years.
2019-2023: 10. It was ok but like XP i never really liked it. I only moved to it due to hardware requirements.
2023-????: 11. Ok so far after nearly a year of use. I get some of the criticism and have some of my own but overall i like it far better than Win10.
LMFAO you are like me with this!!!:eek: love Vista 4ever, as I had maxed out my Vista laptop lmfao...

As about tabs, I mean - it's more comfortable (for me) to drag between two windows or two panels, do you only copy-paste files between 2 folders in tabbed view? :)

Eiji

uhm, do you use insider build? It's not about ads will be in RTM but there is no LTSC 11 final yet, or am I missed smth? :D
I'm using LTSC 2024 build 26100. It's not an Insider build but it's highly likely this is the release (RTM candidate / base build) that will be installed on OEM systems and will be patched with further CU's in the coming months before general release of 24H2 later in the year.

Processor Ryzen 7 7900x
Motherboard Asrock B650E PG Riptide WiFi
Cooling Underfloor CPU cooling
Memory 2x32GB 6600
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XT OC Edition
Storage Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB, Seagate Exos 12TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG301RF 2560x1080@200Hz
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply NZXT C850 850W Gold
Mouse Bloody W95 Max Naraka
Actually Edge is in startup by default and run on first boot. It cannot be closed trough GUI and must be killed trough task manager instead. Then manually removed from startup and then 3rd party script to uninstall it because MS wont let you uninstall it trough GUI.

Even after all that Edge Update remnant remains in the list of installed programs and cannot be removed. I swear they have made me hate edge like a piece of malware despite the fact that i dont even use it.
I would be indifferent to it, if it simply existed as preinstalled program that could be removed and did not run at startup by default.
1714114760251.png

There are enough rules with which you can turn off many things in Windows, if you don't know about them your rage is understanding :)

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
View attachment 345182
There are enough rules with which you can turn off many things in Windows, if you don't know about them your rage is understanding :)
To me, the only advantage of Windows over Linux (besides gaming) is that you don't have to tinker to make it usable. If that's not the case anymore, I'd rather choose Linux.

Processor Ryzen 7 7900x
Memory 2x32GB 6600
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
To me, the only advantage of Windows over Linux (besides gaming) is that you don't have to tinker to make it usable. If that's not the case anymore, I'd rather choose Linux.
Linux is very cute and nice to moment when you need to go to configure kernel if you want to use something specific :D
In Windows is just next, next...

Software Windows 10 Pro
Linux is very cute and nice to moment when you need to go to configure kernel if you want to use something specific :D
In Windows is just next, next...
That's what I mean. If I have to tinker in the registry to make my Windows installation half decent, then I might as well learn to use the Linux terminal instead.

System Name DevKit
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ↗4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi
Cooling Koolance CPU-300-H06, Koolance GPU-180-L06, SC800 Pump
Memory 4x16GB Ballistix 3200MT/s ↗3600
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 580 Red Devil 8GB ↗1380MHz ↘1105mV, PowerColor RX 7900 XT Hellhound 20GB
Storage 240GB Corsair MP510, 120GB KingDian S280
Display(s) Nixeus VUE-24 (1080p144)
Case Koolance PC2-601BLW + Koolance EHX1020CUV Radiator Kit
Audio Device(s) Oculus CV-1
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts EA-750 Semi-Modular
Mouse Easterntimes Tech X-08, Zelotes C-12
Keyboard Logitech 106-key, Romoral 15-Key Macro, Royal Kludge RK84
VR HMD Oculus CV-1
Software Windows 10 Pro Workstation, VMware Workstation 16 Pro, MS SQL Server 2016, Fan Control v120, Blender
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15: 1590cb Cinebench R20: 3530cb (7.83x451cb) CPU-Z 17.01.64: 481.2/3896.8 VRMark: 8009
Most of what we're concerned about here is making Windows usable after install, so in that regard Windows is a bit worse than linux even if you have no concept of files and ACLs. The entire issue is default bloat resource hog behavior and continued memory leaks and other issues AFTER the debloat. In other words it's a valiant uphill battle just to make the computer usable. This might have been an issue on earlier transitions like XP->Vista or 7->8.1 but nothing has been as egregious as everything thrown at us between 10->11. It sucks.
That's what I mean. If I have to tinker in the registry to make my Windows installation half decent, then I might as well learn to use the Linux terminal instead.
It's either that or grab one of these:
1714117828803.png

Processor Ryzen 7 7900x
Memory 2x32GB 6600
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Yes i do know about and use Group Policy. Unfortunately Windows does not always respect GP. For example it completely ignores my Defender specific custom settings.
Some antivirus programs will turn off Defender, or you can do it manually, the default version is week in most situations, but yes is better than nothing.
If you had a way to use it somehow - ok.

Software Windows 10 Pro
It's either that or grab one of these:
View attachment 345183
No, thank you. The day I must rely on this is the day I'll make the swap for Linux.

Edit: Not because I'd never have to use the terminal, but if I have to, I'd much rather do it in an OS that comes free and is ad-free by default.

Last edited:
What's not to like? It's so M$-like, just switch to a serious OS like Linux and climb out of M$ cesspit.

Processor Ryzen 7 7900x
Memory 2x32GB 6600
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
What's not to like? It's so M$-like, just switch to a serious OS like Linux and climb out of M$ cesspit.
Isn't BSD more serious OS? :eek:

Some antivirus programs will turn off Defender, or you can do it manually, the default version is week in most situations, but yes is better than nothing.
If you had a way to use it somehow - ok.
Clipboard_04-26-2024_01.jpg

Unless im missing something it's not that easy. Oh and disabling the highlighted service breaks MS Store.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
The naked truth no computer nerds wants to admit is that Linux is just about worthless for the largest majority of people. Normal people (who aren't tech savvy nor retain a great interest in computers) are simply not willing to learn how to use it unless it's something that's been dumbed down to the extreme (eg. SteamOS, which borders on being a single-purpose system) and requires as little maintenance as possible, not to mention most would move to the Mac before they bother with the freetards and their ideological nonsense permeating every aspect of the experience. They'd sooner go on tirades about how systemd is philosophically evil than get together and agree on distro-agnostic open standards that every flavor of Linux follows... or even go as far as correcting my post here since I am talking about the "GNU/Linux kernel" and that distributions are technically operating systems of their own, "deal with it"...
It sounds like you're bitter. I've had no issue moving my family to Linux. They use their computers to do taxes, browse the internet, watch videos, and do their budgets. None of this needs windows. I've moved multiple older clients to linux for their home systems, again no issues. In a world where most things are web based, the client OS doesnt matter as much anymore.

I myself have used linux as my main gaming system for a year now. It's pretty great. Some multiplayer game shave issues and window stays around for the blue moon my friends play.
yeah i'll deal with your dependency hells and endless terminal use by using Windows or buying a Mac.
You are over a decade out of date on how linux works today my friend : ) maybe it's time you took a refresher on using Linux?

My solution to this is to use Manjaro for a gaming system. Then you dont have to tinker, you've got the lastest MESA and drivers and yadda yadda.

For non gaming? Mint. works every time. Even with those garbage Realtek wifi cards.