1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Gets "Overwhelmingly Negative" Response from Vendors, Expectations Plummet

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Oct 15, 2012.

1. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Copyright? Don't you mean patents? Anyway, ignoring that mistake, you're actually saying that it's guilty until proven innocent, i.e. it just has to be "apparent" and it's automatically "infringing", nothing has to be proven.

But this is OT now, so let's stop there.

2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Not if that extra speed is wasted going through the extra steps needed to get to the things I want using a regular mouse and keyboard.

I shouldn't have to add third party resources for such a basic function.

I use it all the time. I don't keep anything on my desktop, and only a couple in my task bar. And I wouldn't complain, but the delay on the pop-up is horrendous in Win 8.

I sure am. I am extremely picky about my desktop environment, Windows 8 does not provide what I require. I'm all about change, as long as it makes the way I do things easier. The upgrades to the start menu over the years were always a step in the right direction for me, so I adopted them as they came out. This is not. It just isn't compatible with the way I do things.

Sure I did, I just grew old waiting for it to appear.

I'm not saying 8 is a bad OS. I'm saying it's bad for my working style on a desktop. It, however, is great on a touch screen. The minor improvements in performance are not worth it for me on my desktop at this point in time. Now, if they respond to feedback and return the standard desktop/start menu combo, or if somebody starts making capacitive multitouch add ons for existing monitors, I'll make the switch. Until then, I work better with 7.

3. Xyvik New Member

Thanks Received:
    You've obviously never typed for a living. There is no way on Earth that a touchscreen environment can come even halfway to the textile feedback of a keyboard, especially if you go hardcore typing and get a mechanical keyboard that has textile+auditory feedback.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against touchscreens. I enjoy them on certain things. But I have a Droid phone for the keypad. And you know what? I can actually type on that thing, which is what I do for a living.

Until WPM is no longer even considered for any type of job, keyboards will be a viable and important part of the computer experience. (And 90% of the medical profession, one of the largest and fastest growing fields in existence, requires at least a minimum WPM)

4. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Do you guys remember the time when you could type hella fast and then watch the text catch up on the screen?

Yeah, we're not going back to that.

radusorin, hellrazor and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Way to go off topic.........:rolleyes:

I used to think Windows 8 wasn't bad, but it is pretty shitty on desktop. I won't leave Windows 7 unless im forced too.

saknid and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  6. semantics

semantics

Thanks Received:
    Back in my day we didn't have fancy UI's it was all text, very efficient all you had to do was type things out no need for a silly mouse, having to buy extra stuff just to work the os, so silly. And everything was clear as day you just needed to type the right things no guess work.

7. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    yeah, printing a sheet with commands was so exciting before the WYSIWYG times. In fact my first job was for aligning books, searching for code errors in the formating, before wasting moneys printing it ;)

8. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    I've already gone to Windows 8 just to keep up with new stuff. I like tweaking and playing with technology. An OS to me is simply a new toy. I was excited for windows 8, the changes are a bit drastic, but then again the OS has had that start menu forever, and plenty of people using other OS's like linux and Mac have had no problem ever having it. One thing i think people miss is that M$ wants to get people to use their OS, and making it uniform with the rest of their products although slow to adopt will most likely win people over. I see the business sector skipping the OS entirely. I've also had hands on experience with Server 2012 and i must say that i'm excited to be using that as well.

I can use a change. Start menu is cool, but all my used icons are on the desktop or in Rocketdock.. The metro interface although cumbersome out of the box, is actually kinda cool to use after some adjusting and what not.

9. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    I do remember :banghead:
    although it was funny at first...

10. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I actually like server 2012.... been pretty good on a 2GB RAM vm so far.

the metro stuff isn't all that bad.... the lack of start menu can be fixed with start 8 or classic shell start menu.

saknid says thanks.
  11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    lol good ol Green Screen, I was of the Win 95+ Gen since about year 98

saknid says thanks.
  12. saknid

Thanks Received:
    As much I am seeing the Indian Market one of the biggest mobile market and also consumer of MS Products the basic reason of the negative response is the support with the different mobile comp and the app support... (SPECIALLY FOR THE MOBILE DEVICES NOT INCLUDING PC'S)

13. FYFI13

FYFI13

Thanks Received:
    ^^THIS

^^And THIS. Nothing else to add, i'm out of here.

radusorin says thanks.
  14. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I used it and pretty much hated it, i was getting programs crashing quite often and it was more difficult to use. For mouse+keyboard combo i think windows 7 works just fine. Win 8 just doesn't add enough new features to be worthwhile and actually removes one of the most frequently used (the start menu)

15. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Same, it was pretty obvious :rolleyes:

Why are consumers going to change so early to a new OS when 7 is working perfectly fine? I know most people that just spent a ton on Windows 7 isnt going to just jump to 8 just for the sake of it been "new" Windows 7 works, unlike Vista, so anyione that was on Vista or even XP have jumped to 7 purely because it works.

The only reason ill be building new computers with windows 8 is that if my supplier stops selling me 7 like they did XP and Vista, wont have a choice then...

16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i have windows 8 RTM and i have a start menu. that guy is clearly a troll. anyway, i think microsoft knows they need to add classic start menu functionality into windows 8 and will do so at some point in time. the truth is, i don't care when they do it because i am loving windows 8 with a custom start menu.

17. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I love the way people are saying "windows 8 is the future you will own it no matter what" as if they lack the ability to put themselves in other peoples shoes.
    People are going on as if Windows is free. You know how many years I had to use a dodgy copy before I could actually finally afford genuine? No way am I going through that again. And I'm doubting these "performance increases" are dramatic enough to warrant the £xxx that they will want.

18. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    There is so much whining about Windows 8, so much that I'm actually starting to whine... ABOUT the whiners.

lol

19. sergionography

Thanks Received:

win8 did upgrade the start menu, all the functionalities you had in the start menu are now in the new metro style interphase. whenever you install software it shows up there just like the start menu, and if you right click you have the option to uninstall or go 2 file location and what not. and it sure looks much better than the start menu
    once you get used to it you will love it. i had the same complains at first untill it started growing on me. and as a design student i sure appreciate good graphics/design

20. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Stupid post. Sarcasm when writing short messeges does not work.

Anyway, blahblahblah.

21. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Intelligent people get it. Stupid people don't.

22. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    and i thought beta/rc versions were for user input on everything about it. guess ms disregarded complaints on the GUI

so use linux then with WINE!:p

23. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Can I haz some Cheez with that whine?

24. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    You have A Start Menu, not THE Start Menu. Did you read the entire article? He was referring to a specific hack no longer working because MS blocked it, but even went on to say that you can use Start8 instead. How is he a troll?

I've had every version since the developer preview (except RTM, because, frankly, I'm not planning to buy it any time soon).

First, I think it looks like shit in a desktop environment. I do not like it at all. But that's a minor point.

Second, it still hampers my work flow, even though I am already used to it. I'm primarily a point and click type of guy (which is why I also like OS X. Espose is a Godsend to guys like me.), and use the scroll wheel to navigate the start menu. The more space something takes, the longer it takes to point and click.

However, add a touch screen to the mix, and the second point is moot. But I don't have a touch screen, and I'm not about to give up my 1920x1200 IPS panel just to have one that's likely going to end up being 1920x1080 Tn-Film but with touch capability. I have priorities, and superior image quality is much higher on the list than touch screen and the latest OS.

I'm not a design guy. Sure, I like things that look nice, but I'm waaaayyyyyy bigger on function than form.

Short version = new version is not an upgrade for me.

Key words here: FOR ME. Note that I didn't say that 8 is a terrible OS. Just that it is not right for me. And for very valid reasons.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  25. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    windows 8 runs faster than windows 7 and you can install any third party start menu and disable metro to make it act just like windows 7. all of the people complaining are little children who need to go outside and play.