1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Phone users Clubhouse

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by Dos101, Oct 19, 2012.

1. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Just got a Nokia Lumia 900 for free from AT&T yesterday. I love the interfaces and the way the Windows apps are set up. There aren't nearly as many , but what there is I think are a lot better then the apps I used to get for my droid. This OS is so easy to learn and navigate too. Very small learning curve. Zune was cake to set up too. I already had the Zune software so it just updated my phone to it. Sync's were fast too. 15 minutes I transferred all my music and 6 movies. Loving it so far. It is running 7.5 and hoping it updates to 7.8 soon.
    DOS101 can you add me as a member ?

2. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Congrats on the purchase! You have now been added.

Just out of curiosity why did you choose a WP7.5 device over a WP8 device?

3. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    FREE !:roll: I am happy with the purchase of Zero dollars:laugh: I'm not on mine all the time and I was upgrading from a
    Samsung Captivate with Froyo so this was a HUGE Improvement. I never spend money on a phone when I upgrade.
    Just to make it a little more understandable. I'm an old fart. 50+

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I want a HTC 8X so bad! But I have this damn Droid M.

5. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Yeah they put that ion sell for 99Cents the day after I ordered the 900. Pissed me off.

6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Call them up and tell then you are having problems with it and return it. They have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Then order the ION

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Nah the Lumia is fine ! I'm not a phone nut. My oldest son is bad enough for the both of us.

8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Yea I just got a droid razr and I am extremely happy!

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Haha I hear ya, can't argue with free. When WP7.8 gets released sometime in early 2013 I think you'll see a night a day difference with how you can organize tiles (I could never go back to a WP7 device after the ability to resize tiles)

10. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that should cut down on the scrolling ! The only thing I have ran into I don't like is you cant stream Sunday Ticket, which isn't huge because I watch all the games at home any way.

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Now if Microsoft could get Windows 8 to work on my Android phone they would have my money. Maybe I just need to find some mods to make it look like Windows 8.

12. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Oh trust me it does.

You could always go to the Windows Phone demo site from your phone: http://wpdemo.cloudapp.net/ ;)

13. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Hey Dos what features does windows 8 have that 7.8 doesn't have or has that info even been released
    prior to the release of 7.8 ? Just curious why they don't just give 7.5 users the 8 update instead.

14. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Hi guy's, just wondering if you could give me any info on the Windows 7.5 OS and how the older generation get on with it?

My girlfriend has just put a deposit on the HTC Radar for her 60+ yr old dad.

15. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm 54, but a tech nerd. It has a small learning curve compared to Droids.
    It doesn't have flash player so some site can be a pain,
    but other than that I'd go with it. Easy OS ! Snappy too.

16. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Most of the changes are on the backend so, according to Microsoft at least, WP8 is unable to run on WP7 devices (possible performance issues). They redid the kernel and based it off of the Windows 8 kernel (bye bye Windows CE kernel, finally!). WP8 also has multi-processor support, whereas WP7 supports only 1 core CPU's. WP8 supports more resolutions (namely HD), they added in Micro-SD card support (this was very limited in WP7), NFC support, and support for incremental updates and OTA updates. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things but those are the main backend changes.

For users, they added a Wallet app that you can use in conjunction with NFC. They also added cloud backups via SkyDrive, so no more losing text messages etc when you restore your phone (and once you restore from a backup it starts installing all your apps, whereas on WP7 you had to do everything manually). The lockscreen is also more in line with Windows 8, where you can customize which notifications appear on it.

EDIT:

The Windows Phone Wikipedia page has a good list of everything they added/changed in WP8 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone_version_history#Windows_Phone_8

17. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Just got myself the HTC 8S :rockout:

18. anonymous6366

anonymous6366

Thanks Received:
    Ive had my HTC trophy for about 1.5 years now and I love it! Came from a dumb–phone so having a smart phone is great. I have used IOS Droid and Wp now and here is my conclusion, IOS is for ipod touches Droid is for entry level tablets and Wp is the best mobile operating system. This is of course all my opinion and I realize that not every OS is for everyone :)
    On a side note anyone know anything about accelerometer repair in phones? My phones went out about a month ago and its really annoying...

19. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Both my parents are north of 60 and use Windows Phone 7/8. I'd argue it's probably the best OS for smartphones and the older generations. The buttons can be very big, the text is large, it has text-to-speech and speech-to-text in a lot of contexts, and you can uninstall virtually everything you don't use (keep it simple).

FYI, the LG Quantum got dropped and shattered the glass. It was replaced with a Lumia 920. Windows Phone 8 is a huge improvement over Windows Phone 7.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    He's now got his phone and was very simple to set up and get round to using as he would... well once he remembered his password :laugh:

I've found the speak to text to work really well, I don't always speak that clearly and tend to mumble when speaking anything than short replies but I've not had an issue at all with it!

I love how the on screen keyboard doesn't take up the full screen, even though I've come from a smaller 3" screen running android I've found it much easier to type on.

The only downside as of yet is I keep catching the search key and found that isn't hard to do so being really sensitive and all.

Oh one more thing, when at my pc using Facebook or email I'll still get notifications to my phone however more annoyingly is when I'm away from the PC these messages have a lack of appearing.

21. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    And with the Portico update it's that much better (FINALLY always on wifi).

Facebook notifications on Windows Phone are spotty at best. It's a very inconsistent experience which is why I rely on the Me app to see my notifications.

Techtu says thanks.
  22. kayan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a HTC Trophy for about 1.75 yrs, but got sick of it....so I went and got a Lumia 920 as a replacement. W8 Phone OS is rock solid, and much better in terms of fluidity (and WP7.5 was strong in that as well, so that's saying something) and picture taking. The pictures are awesome!

Please add me to the Owner's Club.:toast:

23. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Speedtest.net finally released an app for WP8 http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/speedtest-net/4fcd4de1-050b-44dc-b123-a786808eb49b

Added, welcome to the club! :toast:

24. kayan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks you. :)

My girlfriend, who has been a LONG-TIME droid fan, saw my Lumia 920 when I went to visit her (2 weeks ago) and she used it for about 20 minutes. She then said, I'm getting one. She even switched carriers to get a 920. Says she loves it.

^Converting the masses one loved one at a time^ :rockout:

25. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    I love my Lumia 900 :) wish they'd release 7.8 though :)