1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by hat, Dec 1, 2012.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    try switching to Microsoft Update?
  3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    That doesn't work, just says that windows update is available though control panel. I tried a few things, just ended up reformatting.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. DynoDon New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's kinda severe. But it works. Next time try safe mode. Or make sure there is nothing else running. Do a virus/rogue/malware scan. Some of those will stop update. This is gonna sound korney but I've fixed weird issues before by shutting down the puter then unplugging it for 20 secs or so then plug in and reboot. Never quite figured out what that does but it will work once in a while.