1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP boots endlessly.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by kodex, Oct 18, 2007.

1. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    A little history first:

Last night, I had opened my case to see if I had sys_fan pins on my motherboard. I looked around with a flashlight and didn't find one. When I turned it back on, I had no video. After making the video card was seated, clearing the CMOS, and trying a different monitor, I gave up and hit the sack.

Today, some memory I had ordered for it came via USP, so I figured I'd want it working. I checked all the power connections and found the Molex connecting to my HDD a little skew. I plugged it in firmly, turned it on, but no video. I tried something else (not sure what it was), turned it on, and got video.

I then turned it off and installed the stick of RAM I bought. After configuring things in the BIOS (because I cleared the CMOS), I exited and attempted to boot XP. It was taking a while (at the screen with the XP logo and the blue progress bar), so I pressed reset and tried again. It sat there for ten minutes and didn't boot. What are some things I can try to get this working?

Thanks for any help,
    kodex

2. rhythmeister New Member

Thanks Received:
    try safe mode-F8 as she gets past the post screen. Then you'll know if you can get to desktop at least! Try a restore point, if there are any, then restart and cross those fingers :D

3. kodex New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, here's what I did wrong:

Yesterday, I fooled around with the extremely minimal overclocking ability of my ECS mobo. I took it to 220 Mhz FSB and it worked fine. After getting video this afternoon, I put the FSB up to the max of 232 Mhz when setting stuff in my BIOS. After reverting to 220 Mhz, it booted into Windows just fine.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  4. 3991vhtes

3991vhtes New Member

Thanks Received:
    So your issue has been resolved :confused: