1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP x64

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Darren, May 13, 2007.

1. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just installed windows XP x64, for some reason whenever I install an application it gets put in the C:/Program Files (x86) directory instead of the usual C:/Program Files Directory, is this normal behaviour?
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    if its a 32 bit application yes thats normal
  3. Garb3

Garb3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    is xp 64 got as many bug in it as vista or is it as stable as xp 32?????
  4. Atech New Member

Thanks Received:
    It uses wow64 (what a crap name) as a compatibility layer, so yes that's normal.

As for its stability, it's as stable as Windows Server 2003 (NT5.2), so yes, it's very stable (from first hand experience).
  5. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, this is the best coincidence, I just got XP x64, and was about to install over my XP 32-bit. Glad to hear first hand that it's stable.
    Anyone know of anything on my system specs that is not supported what-so-ever or that I might have trouble with?
  6. Atech New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not that I can see. When I tried to use Wireless with it (this was back in 2003 when it was in beta testing), I had to use Broadcom drivers because Linksys didn't provide x64 drivers at that point. But aside from that, everything worked out of the box.

And yes, it was rock solid even then :)
  7. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Brilliant, especially because I'm not interested in using wireless :) wired ftw
    Thanks Atech for the words of wisdom, and I'm glad to hear it's stable, that was my main concern really.
    Anyhow, sorry for hijacking this thread for like, a few posts, but it saved me making a thread