1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World’s strongest magnet

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Drone, Jul 20, 2011.

1. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I don't even know how to describe how awesome this is. A magnet of this scale has real potential in the materials science field. It assuredly has other, more niche, uses; the really valuable part is research.

As far as some of the other comments, I have to question the logic. I apologize for anything offensive in advance, but from what I am reading these people miss the future potential because they cannot look past the immediate needs that they perceive.

You confuse research, with throwing money at what you believe is reasonable. While I understand the altruistic desire to remove gasoline from the power grid, 2.5 million dollars wouldn't even be enough for a small city. The research that these people do could possibly lead to new battery making techniques, which will make your new electric car actually feasible.

Bemoaning spending 2.5 million on actually viable research hardware, when we spend that much daily on stupid farming subsidies (spend 5 minutes to look it up; in order to maintain prices the government pays farmers to let land lay fallow).

Altruism is a nice goal, but you really draw the line in the sand at an odd place there. By your logic owning a computer while there are starving people is a sin, your income beyond the bare minimums of survival should be donated to charity.

While abrasive, my statement is true. If you look back in history the greatest inventions were brought about by research and capital investment; the inventions then increased the standard of living by providing both easier lives and a steady source of employment (look at the television, automobile, and airplane). These things could never have been developed without research. Those people without vision see a 2.5 million dollar waste, those with vision see 2.5 million dollars that will yield billions in end user products.

Perhaps a less myopic view is a necessity? Even blunting the potential possibility with reality, you must recognize that this research will pay for itself. Perhaps the next time you get an MRI (NMRI to those unafraid of proper terms) you will concede the value of extremely powerful magnets.

mauriek, blkhogan, LAN_deRf_HA and 2 others say thanks.
  2. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    Haven't you read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons ?

The magnet won't have a practical use in it self, it'll mostly be used in studies and researches that will hopefully yield results that can benefit humanity in any ways. More efficient electric motors ? maybe even vehicles that move by altering earth gravity on them !

3. specks

specks New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guess not.

Lets hops it pays off.

No we are not magnetic. You must mean "attracted to magnet" and the answer is still no but somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  4. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    ~RAGE~

Perhaps reading the other comments might lead to a little bit more insight:
    Human beings are mostly water. While there is hemoglobin in the blood, we are mostly a diamagnetic polar molecule (H2O). This means that we could, given a supremely powerful magnet, be levitated.

Iron in the human body is generally bonded with oxygen in a hemoglobin molecule. This means it plays little role in magnetic interactions. To put this in perspective, MRIs would not work if we had copious amounts of unbonded iron in our blood. The comment about Magneto sucking iron out of you, through strong magnetic fields, would be a painfully appropriate analogy.

5. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received:
    That's the "why bother" attitude holding us back. This is one project. Billions are spent on funding private "research projects". Do they have a goal in mind? Which is why I said "hopes" that "one day" "some thing" may lead to the development of "some other thing". We're spending WAY too much money on hopes and dreams then we are on solving real problems.

I should ask them for a few million in grant money so I can build the worlds largest fan in hopes that one day it will blow away humanities problems. :rolleyes:

6. Suhidu

Suhidu

Thanks Received:
    DON'T YOU SEE THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF FURTHER MAGNETIC RESEARCH IN REGARDS TO YOUR BRILLIANT IDEA FOR THE ENORMOUS FAN THAT MAY(and I'd say "WILL") ONCE AND FOR ALL BLOW AWAY ALL OUR ETERNAL CONFLICTION???

...Think about it. Support the grants.

7. specks

specks New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think from your perspective 2.5M is not a really big deal but for me, being in a different state of mind because I am in a very poor country, that amount could do something big. I hope you understand me because I understand what you want to point out.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  8. specks

specks New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is why in my previous post I said "somebody correct me if i'm wrong". I may not be as intelligent as you and others that is why I accept to be corrected.

Anyways, thanks for the info.

9. jpierce55

Thanks Received:
    How about the movie "The Core"?

10. xXSebaSXx New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can visualize that fan as I type this... It will be the Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-310000 and it will be equipped with 12 stators and each stator will have one of these magnets... It will spin at 300'000'000 rpm and will barely be able to cool the next iteration of Fermi cards. :D

11. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    Do you really want to go down that road ?

12. xXSebaSXx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would it make have made you feel better if I had said "it will barely be able to cool the HD6990"?

PS: Is fanboy-ism that strong around these parts that a simple joke at nVidia's expense gets feathers ruffled?

13. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    YESNo. why would I feel better ? I wasn't feeling mad or anything to begin with.

Nah, not much fanboism here (not much witnessed since I joined at least). People care first about performance around here. Don't get the wrong idea about this place because of an idiot like me :eek: .

14. xXSebaSXx New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL....

:grouphug:

15. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    what.. u dont want a super useless magnet?

16. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Now the world has a new record. 100.75 T. Magnet scientists are feeling really happy!

[​IMG]

Congrats and well done. It can lead to other discoveries.

This technology has a good potential for science

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120323094033.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  17. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Not a lot, but the human body does have iron in it, like the hemoglobin in your blood which your body needs to move oxygen throughout your body. So it is kind of important. Iron is also one of the most abundant elements in the universe.

18. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    We are made up of star stuff afterall. So no surprise that the most abundant elements in the universe make us up.

19. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    with metal shoes silly.

20. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Just missed being in the top 5. Iron is number 6, and is approximately one quarter as plentiful as Carbon (number 5).

In a less nit-picky fashion, 100 T is nuts. At that strong of a magnetic field every single atom is influenced by that magnetic force. I'm waiting for them to announce that these kinds of fields will make cold fusion a reality. I can dream, no?

21. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that would be gravity, not a magnetic field.

This magnet would probably be helpful in destroying bra clasps...

de.das.dude says thanks.
  22. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    http://solomon.as.utexas.edu/~duncan/magnetar.html

Drone says thanks.
  23. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    more like rip the clasps through the bewbs-lungs-etc if the person is facing the magnet.