1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World Of Tanks

Discussion in 'Games' started by ivicagmc, Aug 12, 2011.

1. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone here plays this game? It is a free MMO game (partly, you can bye some special tanks, ammo, experience, etc...) I'm stuck playing for days now. It is very catchy.
    Today is one year since they start beta testing (game is final), and you can get premium 24h account in next few days...
    There are USA, EU, and Russian servers. You can't be on two servers with one account, and installation files are diferent. There is more people on EU.

http://game.worldoftanks.eu/
    http://game.worldoftanks.com/
    http://game.worldoftanks.ru/
  2. Nozoned

Nozoned New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I saw the title I thought it was going to be a BFBC2 rant. Watched a couple videos on Youtube. Doesn't look bad but, it looks like it could get old quick.
  3. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's pretty clunky
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i tried the beta and didnt like it.
  5. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    After awhile, you'll get more into it but very quickly, it gets old. At least in my opinion.
  6. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Played it ALOT during the beta so when it did finally go final I had pretty much already had my fill.
    Without being on Premium you can't form Platoons with friends so that was also a no go for me.
  7. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    This.

You also WILL get sick of the OP sniper-artillery, the horrible balancing and the Russian's using 1950's tanks with the German's using 1940's tanks.

It's a WW2 game that isn't limited to 1939-1945 for the Russians, but is for the Germans.

And you generally require a paid account to maintain the higher tier tanks, tier 7+.

PS: Oh, and don't speak badly about Russians ingame or on the forums, or you get ban-hammered.
  8. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I think Tatty mentioned this game before in the UK Clubhouse. Just never interested me at all i think with some mates to play it could be fun though.
  9. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    It is not good as Crysis (finisht 7-8times), Crysis 2 (around 10times), Mass Effect (5 times), Dead Space (4 times)..., but it keeps my attention and requires a lot of thinking if you don't want to get shoot. There is not very much good games these days, especially for old picky gamers like me. There has been a lot of changes in every update, and even if I don't have premium account it is quite fun, for some time at least...:)
  10. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Why are you comparing it to those games? lol. WoT is a completely different play style/genre.
    The budget of WoT is also A LOT less than the games you listed. lmao
  11. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
    I'm not comparing, just saying there is nothing good left to play. Maybe one good game come out in one month, or even less, and then I play it so many times that I know every corner and place in that game. Beginning to wonder why I should bye strong graphics card and CPU when there is so little to do with them...
  12. DavyGT Guest

The latest patch added 2 player platoons for free accounts.

The artillery isn't OP, it's much harder then it looks. The higher tier artillery strikes take 10s+ to lock on and fire, not counting a ~45s reload time. Adding to this is how the larger calibre guns are less accurate, it's pretty tough to get a direct hit. Most tanks killed by higher tier arty are because they are stationary or not behind cover.

The Germans stopped designing tanks for some reason after 1945. The new patch added theoretical 1950s German designs anyway.

I managed to grind out my Ferdinard to Jagdtiger just fine without a premium account and make a profit. Tier 9 is the turning point of profitability for free accounts as a balancing measure to prevent overuse of high tier tanks.

Tier 7 tanks make decent cash, from my experience with the Jagdpanther and T20.

I see whiners ingame from release and they're still around. The developers have been very coy about the possible Russian bias, banhammering anyone that speak out just confirms the bias. I doubt anybody has been banhammered for that, more likely repeated offence trolling.
  13. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    The artillery gets direct hits more often than not, as well as insta-killing or crippling the receiving tank; how is that not OP? Especially considering its 1940's technology, it was never that accurate. Pretty sure they were boasting about realism at some stage as well...
    Hiding being behind cover to avoid getting insta-killed... Amazing, they've introduced cover-based combat into a fucking tank game :shadedshu What is this, Gears of War on wheels?

The German's stopped developing and researching tanks after 1945 for oh iunno, maybe because their entire nation was under Allied control? The game is simply putting more advanced Russian tanks which were designed FROM THE GROUND UP to deal with the current German tanks ingame.

TDs almost always make a profit for obvious reasons(stationary, heavy camo, massive guns/extremely thick frontal armour), it's the heavies and mediums that don't - that's where the problem is.
    Oh and the tier 5 mediums being matched up with tier 8 heavies, those are real money maker matches let me tell you :banghead:

Ingame banhammered I haven't seen too much of, generally you're not playing with mods/devs though, but when you are... But forum-wise, one mention of Russian Devs making a "flawed" game and you're gone for good. And don't you dare use a Nazi Officer's name as your ingame name, that gets you neck high in shit. Funny that you see a dozen Joseph Stalin's running around though.
  14. DavyGT Guest

Artillery is matched up to tiers and is encouraged to pursue slow moving heavy tanks. Tier 5-6 arty can never instakill medium or heavy tanks when matched in the tier 5-8 bracket. Artillery misses more often then not, especially on slopes. An instakill is either due to concentrated fire on one target (lone tank that is rushing or an coordinated platoon is firing) or a tank that is not using it's mobility properly (moving back and forth is infuriating to an arty's aim, also not being stationary helps).

Cover is used as an advantage ingame and in reality for armored combat. Hull down positions are an example of a real world cover tactic introduced here that works very well. A tank can be a coffin on wheels so crews try to preserve the vehicle as best they can.

Very nice of you to pick up the sarcasm. Nonetheless, you haven't addressed the fact that new theoretical designs were added by the latest patch, the E series tanks, which in theory, would have been the German counterparts of the 1950's American and Soviet tanks.

The Ferdinand has a very low camo value that is almost non-existent, it has the health of a Tier 7 and the extremely thick frontal armor isn't homogeneous, meaning it isn't extremely thick all around. Aiming for the lower hull will guarantee penetration and it doesn't have the health to fight shot for shot against most Tier 8 heavies if it didn't shoot first.

You also ignored my point about my T20 medium tank making a tidy profit. In beta, when I drove the IS3, it also made a neat profit without premium, but I suppose you'll make an argument about how Soviet tanks are better wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

Those matches aren't very common in my Panzer 3/4 (tier 5) nor M7 (tier 5) but when they do happen, there is nothing different in the gameplay. A Tier 5 heavy such as the KV can still destroy a Tier 5 medium without difficulty. What is needed however is better strategy for all medium tanks drivers- medium tanks aren't supposed to be fighting fair against heavies and should be flanking. If you're facing the front of a heavy, you're in trouble. Flanking is a must, such as moving up the hill in Himmelsdorf to hit the rear flank of the heavies and tank destroyers in the alley adjacent to the hill.

A quick look on the forums found this thread which has been around for a while on the WoT forums and it's doing fine, still open and OP unbanned. I see many variations of Whittmanns and Rommels playing online, one of which I know.
  15. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I started playing this game in late August 2010 on the "closed" beta, I have not stopped playing it since, in fact for a whole year now it has been the main game I play by a long way, no other game has kept me this long. Yes there are frustrations within it, however I have never played a game where there were not to be honest.... and let's remember this is free! For those who would argue that it might be free but you cannot really proceed very far without buying premium.... I managed since just April of this year when the full game was released to get to a Tier 8 tank (T32) without spending a penny, I now have a Tier 9 T34 and a Tier 7 super dooper M43/M40 SPG (Artillery)...... one offsets the other, I often lose money on the tank, but make money on the arty, key here is to have a number of tanks in your garage.

To be honest, I prefer to play lower tier battles anyways, I get the most fun out of playing with the Panzer IV and M41 Artillery as the game does become a real grind once you get to tier 8...... each to his own, as for mixed tier battles..... rarely on a Battlefield do you have the same firepower in either side...... a typical Gulf war tank division will have a whole host of different role armour..........now balancing, that is an issue at times for me.

One thing i have noticed, and I acknowledge is that the lower tier Arty can be too accurate, however with the high tier stuff I miss more than I hit but a miss still can kill or certainly damage within a given radius.... that is more realistic, but like any good game, you always need a mix of realism and "gameplay".
    Zubasa and ivicagmc say thanks.
  16. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    It does. Played all through beta the closed beta and a few months after release. Mind you it was the longest beta in the history of betas. Well maybe not, but it was still a good 12+ months. It's a bit pay to win as well, as you can buy better rounds for real money. Not sure how many use them though. I only kept playing because everyone else I knew would not play anything else. Good thing they moved on.
  17. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Also played the beta, its a fun game when played in spurts... the lack of game modes ruins it tho.
  18. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    The game is fun when you first begin, that's actually the only time it's balanced. At higher tiers, you end up with terrible mismatchings that just make it incredibly dull. At least that's how it was when I played 2 months ago, not sure if it's gotten any better.
  19. bigtye New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tier 2 is the most wonderfully balanced part of the game. I play up to tier 8 currently and still enjoy playing tier 2 games for giggles and challenge. If you just want a free 2 play change of pace, level up a tier 2 tank, any nation, get your crew some experience and enjoy! You will get all the tactical nuance of the big matches without the drama or expense. There are slow tanks with big guns, fast tanks with little guns, tanks with lots of armour and some with wet tissue paper for armour. Tier 2 is where the no commitment all fun is at.

Further up the scale I also play russian and german tanks (and US) and enjoy all of them. I have frequently run a tier 5 in a tier 8 match and killed tier 7's and 8's by working with my team mates and knowing when to be conservative and when to be aggressive. When you do so, the rewards are huge, both personal (smug grin) and exp/credits wise.

It can definately get a bit "same old" if you play it heaps, due to lack of game modes as mentioned.

Love it still.

Tye
  20. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I actually play this game quite a bit now next to League of Legends. I didnt want to mention it until I actually got somewhere, but finally im getting places in the tiers. My best tanks being the Panther, Tiger, and KV-3. Yea im only at like tier 6 or 7. I wouldnt mind doing platoons, but yea im still behind in the world of things.
  21. burebista

burebista

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to bump a dying thread but I have a favor to ask to UK guys who bought March issue of PCGamer magazine. If they don't play WoT I'll be eternally grateful if they can send me via PM that WoT promo code.

Thanks in advance from a hardcore WoT player.
  22. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    No problem mate, I'll shoot you a PM :)
    burebista says thanks.
  23. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    I've been playing WoT since the BETA, if you are going to follow the German tech tree i advice:

German mediums: mediocre, i played all the way up to the Panther, and is a pain in the a** until you get the Panther which is a respectable tank if the matchmaking puts you against similar tanks, if not you are underpowered, outgunned and the unarmored.

German tank destroyers: up to tier II is fun and easy, then i found the Hetzer, Stug III and JpIV to have no advantage over your opponents (generally a TD should have a more powerful gun). Then comes the JagdPanther, which i love, if you know how to use it this TD rocks:rockout:. I played the Ferdinand but not too much, i stop when i found a tank is not profitable.

German Heavy: expect pain, lots of pain until you get the Tiger II. Problem is the same as the soviet KV, the Tiger I is a 1942-1943 tank and it's usually fighting 1944 to 1950 tanks, if the matchmaking put you against similar tanks you might have a chance.
    Then comes the Tiger II, the same as the JP, if you know how to play, this tank is a monster.

Tanks i use:
    Lowe, good tank
    JagdPanther, with 88 L71, i prefer it over the 105, because of higher rate of fire, lower price per shell, good damage.
    Tiger II, with 88 L71, i prefer it over the 105, because of higher rate of fire, lower price per shell, good damage.
    Panther: regular tank
    M4 Sherman: fun tank, don't expect to much from it
    M4A3E8 Sherman: fun tank, don't expect to much from it, better speed and power than the M4
    T20: good all round tank.

I encourage Jagdpanther and Tiger II users to use the 88 L71 instead of the 105s, it makes both tanks profitable, or at least you break even, you can make more shoots, and cripple enemy tanks faster. I's not a big deal if you miss a shot because you reload much faster, and the 88 L71 is more accurate.

my 2 cents.
  24. burebista

burebista

Thanks Received:
    My advice is to try every nation. In time of course, no need to hurry.
    Each nation and each tank/TD/arty/scout have his particularities. Generally speaking Russian are easy mode, German are normal mode and USA are hard mode. French tanks are trolls. :D

I'm enjoying every tank that I own. I like diversity. When I'm bored from my heavy's I'm taking my meds. When I want pure adrenaline pumping I take my T-50-2. When I want fun I take my SU-26 (the only turreted SPG ingame). When I want to blow-up big boys I take my Objects (212 and 704) or my T30. When I want to troll someone I'm taking my AMX 120 or AMX 75.
    And so on.

The game is pure fun for me, my major gripe is matchmaker/balance and lack of game modes.

Tanks I own in garage:
    KT - expensive to run but it is imperial
    E-75 - my new moneymaker on standard account. KT on steroids. E-100 unlocked but I'll never buy it.
    AMX 13 75 - fun little troll toy. I'm on my way to AMX 13 90.
    AMX 120 - big troll toy in proper teams and hands. AMX 50B unlocked but I guess I'll never buy it.
    Patton - probably the most versatile medium.
    T34 - a pain until 120 gun but after that is a fine tank (it will be Premium in a couple of weeks)
    T30 - amazing gun on a paper armor
    T-50-2 - the most fun scout. I call it my little Porsche.
    KV - with derpgun is Fun in high tiers and with 107 is a killer machine for it's tier.
    KV-3 - back in time was the best T6 heavy. Nowadays matchmaker kills it.
    IS-3 - a fun medium-heavy.
    IS-4 - a workhorse. He can take a beat and give a good punch
    Object 704 - a stellar TD. Even now after T95 introduction is still feared on battlefield
    Object 212 - used to be my moneymaker but now it's nerfed to oblivion. Still is fun to one-shoot those big boys.
    Tetrarch - new year gift. Fun to troll Tier 2 matches.

Tanks owned but sold
    IS-7 - before latest buff was a nightmare in random matches. Now looks OK.
    Object 261 - not a really improvement over 212 and was a money drain.

And in the end my EU profile. :eek:
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  25. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Any change they will release historical (looking) maps (like in Theatre of War, etc) to replace all those paintball range looking maps? It holds me totally off from the game, and no amount of backstage industrial awesomeness can fix it for me.