1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

worth it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fritoking, May 29, 2012.

1. fritoking

Jun 15, 2008
    613 (0.22/day)
    Thanks Received:
    just scored a free pc with a bad motherboard.....it has a beautiful cooler master centurion case(the older style with the brushed aluminum front panels)a 750 gb and a 320gb sata drive,dvdrw and a intel e2160.......i have some ddr2 1066 and 800 laying around(6 gb total)...my question is ...is it worth it to throw a motherboard and gpu in it?i have not messed with intel for years and have no clue how well this cpu will oc....its only 1.8ghz stock....how much would a cheap decent board be for it?
  2. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Dec 11, 2006
    8,086 (2.47/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Over clock it! If you can get a board for cheap, then I say yes for sure.
  3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Nov 9, 2010
    3,847 (2.08/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Depends on what plans you have for it. As long as you or whomever winds up with it knows it's limitations (cue Dirty Harry!), it's all good.

Some get a kick out of rebuilding old PCs as inexpensively as possible, and gifting them on holidays, birthdays etc.

Nothing quite like seeing someone's eyes light up when they get their first PC and realize everything they can do with it.

Just make sure if you DO gift it they know all the ins and outs of internet security.