• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X1900 Series Overclocking and Feedback thread

ccokeman

ViperJohn said:
Correct...that is the current draw off the on-card Vcore PS.

An x1900 is no slouch in the "leaning on the 12V rail" thought. A stone stock x1900XTX has peak loaded 3D power draws of about 121 watts off the Computer PS's 12V rail or a tad over 10amps peak at 12 even.

Viper
Thanks again for clearing it up.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
Is there anyone else out ther with successful overclocking results?

JDAdams

Wasn't getting anywhere O/Cing that card so have paired it with a Crossfire Edition X1900 - can't complain about the performance now :D

clement812

My Cool AIW X1900 A+++++

My Cool AIW X1900 :rockout:

TimEG

Hi guys, I'm a new member so firstly hi to everyone here. Some interesting info on this site so keep up the good work.

I've just got my x1900xt and I'm having a few probs OC'ing it even after following all the advice on this forum. Using CCC is says that I can pretty much run at the max settings but no matter what I set the sliders too it makes no difference to my benchmarks. The actual value says 500/600 and it remains like that, even when I'm running a 3D application. Does this mean that my games are running at 500/600?

Using ATI tools I tried setting the VGPU to 1.3 and then the clocks to 650/775 (Same as the XTX) and it works fine. I find that I get an extra 10 frames in F.E.A.R this way but when I run the artifact scanner in ATI Tool I can hear a strange pulsing coming from the GFX card. Does this mean I'm damaging the card? It doesn't make this noise in game, only when checking for artifacts.

I only really want to run at XTX speeds, no higher. Why can I gain extra FPS if I use ATI tool but not CCC even when I set to the same value?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Crossfirepain

Hey all,

I followed directions a few pages back for setting up a 2D and 3D profile with ati tool
I have two x1900's in crossfire, the profiles work, but ONLY for the card that is currently
selected with the program, is it possible to get BOTH cards to respond to the profiles?

Crossfirepain

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
X1900XT problems with ATI Tool?

I just foundout that using ATI Tool makes my X1900XT unstable & when playing games like F.E.A.R, Dungeon Seige 2, Battle for Middle Earth 2 or even Quake 4, I get artifacts then after after a little while, I get an error message.

Now I am only using ATI's Overdrive. And the only thing I am using ATI Tool 0.25 Beta 14 for is for FAN Control. That is it.

So, when I un-instal the ATI Tool, the games run super fine with no problems & score higher in 3D Mark 01, 03, 05 & 06.

I wonder why I am having this problem. I really would like to control the Fan so that my card won't get too hot. I like to keep it at around 60C or so on full load.

I already RMA's my first X1900XT, but now I realize that the first card was not the problem.

OS I am using is Windows XP MCE 2005 with full updates. And I am dual booting with Windows XP x64 with full updates.

Thanks.

System Name THOR
Processor Core i7 3820 @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula IV
Cooling Corsair H80 + 5x12cm Case Fans
Memory 16GB G.Skill 2400MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 980 + GTX 570 + GTX 680 SLI
Storage OCZ Vectror 256GB + Vertex IV 256GB + Intel 520 128GB + 1TB WD Caviar Black
Display(s) 27" Dell U2711 + 24" Dell U2410 + 24" BenQ FP241W
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX III
Power Supply Corsair AX1200 1200w
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
At the moment I only use ATI Tool for fan control. I have played all the way through FEAR like this without a hitch. When you installed ATI Tool did you say no to making the 2D/3D speeds the same?

Last edited:

Crossfirepain

I told it NOT to make the 2d and 3d clocks the same, i made a 2d and 3d profile, and double check the clocks with rivatuner, only the currently selected card changes with the profiles, is there any way to run two instances of atitool? then i could select each card at the same time. I am going to try and just manually load the 3d profile for the xtx, and switch to master, and let the profiles control the master, then manually load the 2d profile for the xtx when i am done with game, or whatever. I run the fans at like 70-80% and just trying to run clocks at stock for now on the cards. My issue is that with CCC i have an odd problem where using VGA connecter is fine, but crossfire with DVI my monitor keeps losing sync for some reason, but disabling CCC 2d/3d switching DVI is fine, so i am trying to isolate the problem.

Crossfirepain

BrinNutz

Alright..I've had my x1900xtx for a while now, and SuperXP can oblige, have had my problems with it.
I currently have 2 of the x1900xtx's, only one is sitting in a box collecting dust. BAH.

So I'm currently only using ATI Overdrive for overclockin and have it maxed at 690/1800 and everything runs fine.

My problems are :
When I tried to install the new omega drivers, or even the last set of omega drivers, I could not use ATI Tray Tools, it says that the BIOS was not recognized or something like that. I have no idea how, but I want to actually overclock this thing, especially after I eventually take off the cooler and hopefully lap it and throw on some AS5.

Jodiuh

FWIW: Ditch the 2hr lapping marathon for 5c and buy a $30 Accelero for (same as stock @ 100%) cooling capacity and bathe in the silence.

Of course you'll need to have good case chi for optimal air exhaust.

mursaat

Hi! first post, and it is to ask for help :eek:

I've got the same problem as BrinNutz, ATI Tray Tools 25 beta14 says BIOS not recognized, error and closes. I'm using the Catalyst 6.3 with CCC.

A second question if you dare: do the OC options I set with Overclocker are saved to use every reboot or should I overclock the card each time?

Thanks a lot! I'll try to help someone in my second post, promised :rolleyes:

//EDIT: I've read somewhere the problem with ATITray is with ATI, BBA and Sapphire (which makes sense since it's Sapphire who makes all these cards). Can the other brands be overclocked with ATT? Can my Sapphire X1900XT be flashed (with -f if necessary) to another brand's BIOS? Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
mursaat said:
Hi! first post, and it is to ask for help :eek:

I've got the same problem as BrinNutz, ATI Tray Tools 25 beta14 says BIOS not recognized, error and closes. I'm using the Catalyst 6.3 with CCC.

A second question if you dare: do the OC options I set with Overclocker are saved to use every reboot or should I overclock the card each time?

Thanks a lot! I'll try to help someone in my second post, promised :rolleyes:

//EDIT: I've read somewhere the problem with ATITray is with ATI, BBA and Sapphire (which makes sense since it's Sapphire who makes all these cards). Can the other brands be overclocked with ATT? Can my Sapphire X1900XT be flashed (with -f if necessary) to another brand's BIOS? Thanks again :)

Try to save your OC profile, and only enable it when you want to play a game or something. Or use ATI Tool & enable the 3D Detection Tool so that you can play with your OC'ed settings, then it will go to 2D settings when not playing.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
TimEG said:
Hi guys, I'm a new member so firstly hi to everyone here. Some interesting info on this site so keep up the good work.

I've just got my x1900xt and I'm having a few probs OC'ing it even after following all the advice on this forum. Using CCC is says that I can pretty much run at the max settings but no matter what I set the sliders too it makes no difference to my benchmarks. The actual value says 500/600 and it remains like that, even when I'm running a 3D application. Does this mean that my games are running at 500/600?

Using ATI tools I tried setting the VGPU to 1.3 and then the clocks to 650/775 (Same as the XTX) and it works fine. I find that I get an extra 10 frames in F.E.A.R this way but when I run the artifact scanner in ATI Tool I can hear a strange pulsing coming from the GFX card. Does this mean I'm damaging the card? It doesn't make this noise in game, only when checking for artifacts.

I only really want to run at XTX speeds, no higher. Why can I gain extra FPS if I use ATI tool but not CCC even when I set to the same value?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

I suggest you do not use the scanner any more, no on uses it on the x1000 series like they did with the x800 series.

I also suggest you find a way to cool your mosfets and vregs. I use a 80mm fan with ram sinks and have my x1900xtx oc using ATI Tool to:
720/837.5
1.425 VGPU
2.113 MVDDC
2.113 MVDDQ
1.498 VDDCI <-cranking this up to the settings you see now helps stabilize and increase min/low FPS for me.

Stock cooling, witha lapped HS and a 80mm fan on the Vregs/mosfets...
I set 3D-Dection to load my profile
I set 3D-Detect to load default profile when application closes.

Remember this core is very touchy about heat. The more heat the less it performs. On average if you can keep it within 65C under load you shouldn't have any problems with performance. However, you must keep the vregs and mosfets cool (refer to 1st post).

It appears to me that the Vgpu runs best at:
720 @ 1.4000V <--for me this gives slower benchmark results
720 @ 1.4250V <--for me this gave better benchmark results
for my x1900xtx. However, for everyday operation 720 is the best I can do to keep heat down. If you want to do 725 you will need to crank the Cgpu to 1.5000V which causes a lot of heat for me. Maybe your VC will do 725GPU @ 1.4500V however, mine crashes during 3dmark 06.

As for Mem, so far I have only gotten to 837.5 using ATI TOOL. I have tested using high and low votlage for the mem and it made no difference for me. Therefore I leave it at:
2.113 MVDDC
2.113 MVDDQ
ALTHOUGH I HAVE GONE AS HIGH AS
2.203 MVDDC
2.203 MVDDQ
BUT AGAIN NO added bonus. AT 2.206 it froze but there is a catch to this, read on!

It appears that the use of VDDCI is some sort of Voltage GateKeeper (if you will), when I leave it at default 1.486V my benchmarks on 3d06 would dip to the low teens. When I crank it up to 1.498V it would be more steady with less dips (using the example I gave earlier in this post). That is why I have it cranked up. But, at 1.5000 it always get artifacts (something I haven't seen until I started tweaking the VDDCI, before it would either freeze or CTD). Although this is just a guess it appears 1.5000V for VDDCI is simply to much and making the VC very hot causing artifacts, again just a guess. OCers who use 1.5000 VDDCI are clocking the core over 725 and mem over 835 so it makes sense to for me to believe that 1.498V for the VDDCI is ample power until you go much higher in your OC. By then you should consider watercooling because of the heat it generates.

In all this should point you in the right direction. Remember, these results are with me using a x1900xtx from ATI (not the other companys that make them). I cannot guarantee nor do I suggest this will work on a x1900xt or other x1900xtxs out there. These are my findings using the VC that I have.

mursaat

Ok I received my Sapphire X1900XT yesterday, checked for BJ11 and flashed to the X1900XTX ATI BIOS found at techpowerup. And the card artifacts and hangs in the "LOADING" screen in 3dk05 and ATITool Artifact Scanner. At XTX stock speeds

Before flashing, I tried to midly (640/750) overclock with ATI Tool, making 2D and 3D profiles, disabling both ATI services, setting voltages up to 1.475, and a bunch of memory voltages (from 1.996 to 2.201). I left VDCCI untouched as I've read it is ok at stock. But as soon as I try to open a 3D app (even the Artifact tester) the computer hangs and the screen is full of artifacts.

Also tried with Overclocker and CCC and the same happens. Seems like my card doesn't like ANY overclock. The same happens when I try to only overclock memory or core separately. I'm using Catalyst 6.3, will try later with 6.2 and OmegaDriver 6.3.

Any ideas? the card has BJ11 and I flashed to XTX without [flashing] problems. As always, the card is incredible 11.690 in 3dk05 at stock from 8400 with the 7800GT but seeing people getting to 720/850 with stock cooler I'm a bit dissapointed. I had to flash it back to XT :shadedshu

//EDIT: Forgot to say Aquamark3 runs fine but hangs when it ends and has to show the score.

mursaat said:
Ok I received my Sapphire X1900XT yesterday, checked for BJ11 and flashed to the X1900XTX ATI BIOS found at techpowerup. And the card artifacts and hangs in the "LOADING" screen in 3dk05 and ATITool Artifact Scanner. At XTX stock speeds

Before flashing, I tried to midly (640/750) overclock with ATI Tool, making 2D and 3D profiles, disabling both ATI services, setting voltages up to 1.475, and a bunch of memory voltages (from 1.996 to 2.201). I left VDCCI untouched as I've read it is ok at stock. But as soon as I try to open a 3D app (even the Artifact tester) the computer hangs and the screen is full of artifacts.

Also tried with Overclocker and CCC and the same happens. Seems like my card doesn't like ANY overclock. The same happens when I try to only overclock memory or core separately. I'm using Catalyst 6.3, will try later with 6.2 and OmegaDriver 6.3.

Any ideas? the card has BJ11 and I flashed to XTX without [flashing] problems. As always, the card is incredible 11.690 in 3dk05 at stock from 8400 with the 7800GT but seeing people getting to 720/850 with stock cooler I'm a bit dissapointed. I had to flash it back to XT :shadedshu

//EDIT: Forgot to say Aquamark3 runs fine but hangs when it ends and has to show the score.

Well, I have the same card as you & can do 690MHz Core & 780MHz Mem. But only using OVerdrive which came with the CCC's.

THere must be a reason why your card cannot do this? From what I've read, the XT is 100% the same as the XTX, but with the XTX only having a higher clock & a little higher voltage output when in 3D Mode. This is why the XTX OC's a little better then the XT.

I would gently take off the Heatsink & clean her up a little & then put AS5 thermal past on the GPU. I also do not like the way the RAM is cooled on the XT & XTX. The Ram does not make contact at all with the Heatsink. But instead there is a "VERY" thick thermal pad for the RAM's.

So, IMO, if anybody cannot get a nice OC with there X1900XT & XTX, it is because your GDDR3 memory is running really hot IMO. I say go water cooling ;)

mursaat

Super XP said:
Well, I have the same card as you & can do 690MHz Core & 780MHz Mem. But only using OVerdrive which came with the CCC's.

THere must be a reason why your card cannot do this? From what I've read, the XT is 100% the same as the XTX, but with the XTX only having a higher clock & a little higher voltage output when in 3D Mode. This is why the XTX OC's a little better then the XT.

I would gently take off the Heatsink & clean her up a little & then put AS5 thermal past on the GPU. I also do not like the way the RAM is cooled on the XT & XTX. The Ram does not make contact at all with the Heatsink. But instead there is a "VERY" thick thermal pad for the RAM's.

So, IMO, if anybody cannot get a nice OC with there X1900XT & XTX, it is because your GDDR3 memory is running really hot IMO. I say go water cooling ;)
Thanks for the help :) I'll apply AS5, and I'm planning to buy an Accelero (when it's available in my usual shop/s). You think Accelero will cool the memory chips much better?

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
just got my x1900xtx yesterday.. my first thoughts were "its huge".. second toughts the fan sounds like dental drill when it boots up... third thoughts.. jeesh this thing runs unbelievably hot compared to my x850xtpe.. the rear of the card is too hot to keep your fingers on and the whole thing just radiates heat..

first bench runs..

default 2005 = 10425

overdrive 2005 = 11698

default 2006 = 4865

overdrive 2006 = 5007

overdrive 2003 = 18775

overdrive 2001 = 31684

due to the excessive heat coming off this card i dont think i am gonna try and push it beyond its overdrive speeds..

its takes the max overdrive without any problem.. but setting it at 700/800 with atitool produced an instant system lock up.. overdrive 790/800 runs all day.. similar speeds with atitool and the instant system lockup as soon as u hit the set button.. something is amiss..

i also cant get the same screen resolutions i had with my 850 card for some reason.. 1400 x 900 which is one i used to use a lot is missing.. he he..

over all i am happy with the way the card goes but not the fan noise or the heat comng off the thing..

and no way am i gonna move to a cooler that pumps all the heat straight into the case like the latest artic ones do.. jeesh..

i dont have much of a problem with seeing 73c on temp readouts.. i do have a problem with the good old fashioned finger touching tests thow.. this thing is like a bloody mini room heater stuck inside my case.. he he he

trog

ps.. something is also odd about the difference between the default 650/750 speeds and the overdrive 690/800 speeds.. a small increase like overdrive gives should not produce another 1200 points in 2005.. folks say that overdrive slows the memory timings down to get to 800 on the memory.. the figures i get dont back this theory up thow..

Last edited:

mursaat

@trog100: From what I've read it's Overclocker and not Overdrive who loosens the timings. Not 100% sure tho. And to get all the resolutions you have to go to Display Properties -> Settings -> click Advanced... -> Monitor -> uncheck the "Hide the resolutions this monitor doesn't support". I'm pretty sure you'll get the desired resolution :)

BTW you got those speeds with overdrive manually or using the auto overclock? Seems like the automatic fries my card, it gets to 91c when benching/gaming it never gets too far from 80c.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
well just bin playing.. atitool just plain simply dosnt work with the card.. even trying to set a speed exactly the same as the cards default produces an instant lock up trying a far lower speed works but the temps go up from 53c idle to 68c idle.. shame really cos the old one worked like dream with my x850 card..

i never used the auto thing just wanged the overdrive sliders up to full and ran a few benches.. just ran another 2005 and its up to 11756 now..

i really cant see where the extra 1300 points with just a 40mhz core and 50mhz memory increase is coming from.. it dosnt make sense..

i am running with my case side off my core reads about 75c under 3d load.. its the hand test on the card that makes me say its super toasty.. its probably "cool" compared to some.. he he he

as for those missing resolutions.. i have millions of em.. just not the 1400 x 900 i used to like.. my lcd widescreen 20 inch monitor has a native resolution of 1600 x 1050.. i find everything a bit small with it so i like the 1400 x 900 one i used to get with my x850 card..

have to have google about and try and find out how to get it back..

trog

mursaat

IIRC, with my 9600Pro and a 19" CRT the resolutions happened to change with drivers. Some times I had 1400x1050 which I found the best for 19", 1280 too big and 1600 too small. But with some Catalyst (in my case I always used Omega) sometimes the resolution simply didn't appear :confused:

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Personnally I would suggest getting the OEM version from ATI in future purchases. I haven't had a problem to date and I have been overclocking it with ATI Tool with no problems.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
i had the 1400 x 900 resolution with the cat 6.3 drivers with my x850 card.. i just dont get it with the x1900 card.. same monitor.. same drivers.. different card..

the other thing i have lost is boot up screens if i have my TV plug in.. weird really cos i used to get this with my old 17 inch monitor with the new 20 inch one the boot up screens appeared okay.. now with the new bloody card i have lost em again.. he he he

i thought it was a monitor thing but it isnt.. this time its card thing.. he he

i have a win some lose some thing.. i have won a nifty room heater.. he he.. a lot of extra grunt.. lost a nice resolution and my boot up screens.. he he

trog

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
these cards by the way are all made in the same fab.. or two fabs.. one of em is foxcon i think.. all the "partners" are doing is sticking some labels on em and putting a bundle together in their own box design.. ..

wherever u buy them from they are identical cards all made in one or possibly two huge chinese fabs..

trog

MZ3692

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ at 2.664GHz (Idle at 40C)
Motherboard ASUS A8N SLI-Premium ATX Motherboard
Cooling Artic Cooling 64 Freezer Pro
Memory (2x1GB) G.SKILL HZ DDR484 (1T) at 3-4-4-8
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Radeon X1900XT at 655/774 (Stock Fan)
Storage Maxtor SATA1 250GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer AL1716 17" 8ms (1280x1024)
Case Cooler Master Praetorian 730 (Black)
Audio Device(s) Integrated Onboard Sound
Power Supply Enermax Liberty Modular 620 Watt Power Supply
Software Windows XP Home Edition with SP2
Guys, for idle load, what is the max temperature, an X1900XTX should be with stock cooler?