1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x58 NB and CPU temperatures and question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Sanhime, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    Specifically regarding EVGA x58 motherboards (not really including Classified model). Whats is everyone's typical NB idle and load temperatures? I replaced my stock HS with a Thermalright HR-05 IFX (hopefully I will attach a 80mmx15mm fan to it tonight) a while back, but can't remember what kind of NB temps I was getting back then. So I need to know NB temps from other x58 owners if you still using the stock HS/HSF (preferably if you own EVGA's) so I can get an idea where I'm at. Taking into consideration of ambient temps, my NB runs idle around 50C (+/- 2C) and load around 60C (+/- 2C), its summer and I don't have AC, but room temperature is usually 70F-85F on average, depending on day or night.

Secondly, I seen other people's x58 idle temps for Core temps (not CPU temp, or so they claim) that are as low as ~25C-~30C and go as high as +60C on load. So that's a ~30C difference. My Core temps idle at ~40C, but it only goes up to ~50C, a ~10C difference. My question here would be, what does that tell me about my cooling setup? (Considering my room don't have AC and its summer)

2. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    its strange but the x58 temps has 2 characteristics.

1 - runs very hot on some mobos and very cool on others
    2 - normally it hits 60 - 70

the evga cooler was very good so i think u shoulnt notice much difference till u put the fan

Sanhime says thanks.
  3. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    I don't disagree, EVGA does have decent coolers on their mobos. What concerns me mostly is that I have the x58 Micro and it used passive cooling via HS as stock before I switched. That stock HS run very hot-to-touch, which is a good sign, because it tells you its doing the job, but I just don't remember what my old temps were when I still had the stock HS installed (and I don't feel like putting it back again lol). With the Thermalright HS, it only feels warm, so I thought maybe it was not doing the job, but my NB temps now are 50-60, idle to load, so I was a bit confused because I don't remember what my old temps were. It probably only feels warm as oppose to hot-to-touch because of the pipe/fin design, whereas the stock EVGA HS is just one solid metal sculpture (I can't even tell what that HS is made out of).

4. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    If you have a PWM fan just place it on top of the VGA blowing on it