1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox 360; Buy used or new?

Discussion in 'Games' started by OOTay, Feb 6, 2009.

1. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ohh boy, first post in a very long time... Anyways I know that this isn't a console section but its close enough. Alright so its finally time for me to get an xbox 360, (i know a little late right) and I was looking at buying a used one on ebay or buying a new Arcade version. But the ones on ebay that match my price range (around $200) are either used refurbished models and only comes with a seller 60 day warranty. They also might be older ones with a older chipset. So heres the deal, do I go down to bestbuy and make my wallet cough up some Franklins or save a few and take a risk getting screwed on ebay?
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Buy new. The arcade versions use the newest version of the 360 and is covered by Microsoft, which as history says.. may be needed.
    KieranD, Kei and OOTay say thanks.
  3. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I bought mine used from craigslist. Luckily he had never registered it, so when it RROD on me, I got it repaired. I wouldn't recommned buying used.
    OOTay says thanks.
  4. computertechy

computertechy New Member

Thanks Received:
    i bought mine off ebay (used), it was one of the first 1's made

got 3 red rings about 3 months ago

microsoft still replaced it with the warranty sticker broken, just needed to pay the shipping

microsoft came in handy for once!
    OOTay says thanks.
  5. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Get a brand new Xbox 360 Arcade unit. This is your best bet to get the newest "Jasper" Xbox 360 which is less likely to Red Ring on You. The Jasper Cpu and Gpu use a smaller, 65nm fabrication process. Which will produce less heat and use less power.
    OOTay says thanks.
  6. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool deal, I was kinda realizing I should get a brand new as I was typing this post lol... Thanks for all the input guys. One more thing, do all the current Xbox 360's, in store shelfs, have the jasper chip set?
  7. computertechy

computertechy New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmmmm

the only way you would have a chance of finding that out is looking on the manufature date on the actualy xbox no ealier than August 6, 2008, and lot number is 8031

it mights be on the actual box?????

if not just ask the store you are going to buy it from
    OOTay says thanks.
  8. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    good choice going new. See if the best buy people know when each was manufactured. Like computertechy said if its after that date it will be the good one. If not, find the serial number on the box and it might be somewhere in the same area
    OOTay says thanks.
  9. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Buy new, get the Lian-Li Xbox case, and get a Scythe Slipstream fan for the exhaust.
  10. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok cool, i guess ill open the box up and if its not the current model ill return it and get another one lol.. thanks for the help guys
  11. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    No need to even open the box. There is a little opening on the box that will say the serial number and manufacturing date. That way you can find it in the store.

Also you can check the power usage thats displayed on the box. If the box says it uses 12 amp on the 12v rail then its a Jasper. If it uses 14 or more volts on the 12v rail then its an older xbox.
    OOTay says thanks.
  12. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok cool thanks for the info dude!
  13. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Buy New if you can. But i dont see anything wrong with used unless they got rid of it because they thought it was going to die.
    OOTay says thanks.
  14. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Aye, definitely new if possible fella :)

Luckily for me I can sort out the RROD so did it myself, as at the time microsoft wasn't taking them back after the warranty run out, so I was left to fend for myself as to which I learned how to fix them (one was temporary lasted about 3weeks, 4 others have lasted until now :))

Better off with the new ones though as they house better chips, better cooling features, the fan connection gets replaced from a four slot plug to a 3-pin connection and the heatsinks are waaaay better in the newer models :)

--Lee
    OOTay says thanks.
  15. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    here are some thoughts from an owner, the newer 360s especially the new jasper chipsets are cool and will likely never fail from red ring i have an updated falcon 60gb which has ram chips moved to make it cooler but same cpu and gpu die size as falcons

getting a second hand one make sure it is still in warranty coz then if it fails your covered

a 60gb should be enuf for most users, a 20gb is good for basic use a lot of saves some DLC, 120gb for those who plan to use it to d'l xbox games and install a lot of disks to the HDD

arcade is just a basic 360 to compete with the wiis price range, it is the most up to date console chipset wise but comes with 512mb in built memory might even only be 256mb

its cheaper to get one with a HDD rather than upgrade yourself
    OOTay says thanks.
  16. OOTay

OOTay New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the help + advice guys, im gonna go down in the next couple of days and buy an Arcade. See ya on xbox live :p
  17. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:

That is incorrect. The Falcon Xbox 360 has a 65nm CPU and 90nm GPU. The Jasper Xbox 360 has a 65nm CPU and 65nm GPU. Huge difference.