1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

xbox help

Discussion in 'Games' started by ste2425, Feb 7, 2011.

1. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    i know this isnt a console forum but i aint a member on any others, plus most of you own a 360.

I got the three red lights the other day and searched the net and found a ton of stuff saying taking it apart replace the xclamp thing and all will be dandy. Is there any truth in these claims or are they just scams to get your money? Has anyone else on here had the same problem and managed to successfully fix it?

Or do i now own an expensive xbox shaped paper weight?

2. SNiiPE_DoGG New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the rrod, tried the xclamp and new thermal paste, and even wrapping it in a towel fix as a last ditch effort. None of it worked.

I ended up buying one of the newer arcade models that were much more reliable (not the S design)

Now I have the 250gb S model.

ste2425 says thanks.
  3. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    meh not what i wanted to hear, oh well new i should have stuck to pc gaming

4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    how old is it?

ste2425 says thanks.
  5. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    My older brother fixes xboxes, and he's had loads of success with the xclamps. He swears by them. I can get him to write a quick guide with the best places to buy the clamps etc. if you like?

ste2425 says thanks.
  6. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    that would be amazing if he would theres so much on the net about it and on ebay im a bit swamped by the idea of doing the x clamp thing, i mean if its a cheap fix its worth trying, better then the 60 quid microsoft want to fix a problem they made,

Plus its one of the first ones not too sure of its age but i got it of a mate, had it a few months and been fine but im certain its out of warrenty

edit: Didnt event get to finish fallout:(

7. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the warranty is 3 years.

8. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    To be onest i dont know when the 360 was first produced, it being the first ones would it still be covered? i dont have any original reciept though

9. timta2

Thanks Received:
    I did the X-Clamp fix on mine and it worked for a while. You can find the parts at a good hardware store for just a few dollars. I was looking into getting it (the BGA) properly re-flowed but it didn't seem worth it since a lot of people were saying that most of the time the re-flow fixes aren't a permanent fix either. I tried to find someone or a company who would guarantee it but couldn't at the time. If anyone knows of a good place that will, please reply with a link or something.

At the time I just didn't want to deal with the hassle (and more $) so I just bought a new one.

10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    if you have owned it less than 3 years your warranty is still good. I don't think you need a receipt or packaging. if you send Microsoft your XBOX 360 in it's original packaging they send it back without it lol

11. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Look on the back of the xbox, there should be a sticker that states the manuf. date.
    I'm getting onto my brother now.

12. kyle2020 Guest

My father in law does Xbox repairs and I can say it does work, he purchased 3 RROD boxes and all of them work fine, if not as if brand new now hes done the x clamp fix, I even purchased one off him in the end.

It does work, as long as its done properly.

13. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    There are MANY fixes for a RRoD, but there are also MANY causes. Most of the fixes are only temporary (sometimes you can get 6+ months worth of gaming out of a fixed up console). If it is less than 3 years old get MS to fix it for free. If it's older, sell it on ebay (because some idiot will buy it to fix it up) and put the cash towards a 'slim' type model.

Register your console @ xbox.com and see if the warranty is valid. Bur remember, if the site states it is out of the standard warranty, if it's still under 3 years old you're eligible for the FREE extended warranty (just put the problem down as 3 red lights) ;)

PS: Im not a 360 noob. I've been dabbling with them for YEARS. The oven method works nice. But it still doesn't mean the same problem (or another one altogether) wont arise :(

There are success stories. But most of the time the repaired console will fail again. If the said console is still within the 3 year warranty from MS, it would be silly not to let them fix it.

I picked up a console a few weeks back for £20. 3 red lights, but it was under 3 years old. So instead of messing about with it myself I returned it to MS. In just over a week I had a fully working console back. Plus, the console they returned had all new guts but the same old case :D Result!

You don't need one. The manufacture/service date will tell you all you need to know.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  14. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    yea hookey be right

RROD can be fixed sometimes by the xclamp mod but its pretty much always temporary when its not done professionally, and it will be louder than it was before because MS uses a thick thermal paste, mine RROD'd the last time about 2 years ago, and I replaced the fans with better ones and bought the newer heatsink and it hasn't RROD'd since then but it always makes me feel like its gonna do it again.

just sell it and get a newer one, the older ones are shit, don't waste your time, you don't wanna be worrying about it dying everytime you turn it on.

HookeyStreet says thanks.
  15. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. They tend to die when you power them up after an hardcore gaming session lol

16. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    My brother just sent me this:
    So, it seems the best option might be to contact Gameworld Direct, if they offer a 6 month warranty on thier fix for only £35.

timta2 says thanks.
  17. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys ill look into finding if its still under the tree year warrenty, only problem is i no longer have the original packaging either, got damaged in a basement flood will any of the stickers on the machine itself be usable? And i dont know what a reflow is? Id love to just be able to sell it and buy a new one but i dont have the funds its either fix it or no xbox.

Thanks for all the replys and ill have a look at your link scaminatrix if it is out of warrenty which i think it may be. Just a bit gutting never had an xbox till recently was rather pleased to own one and quite happy with it, yea i didnt pay loads to my mate for it but it was a lot of money to me.

18. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    You don't need the original packaging. MS prefer you to NOT send it back in the original box. Just a plain one. All of the details you need are on the sticker located on the reverse of the console.

19. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    just mail it in and get a new one for FREE.... (Refurbished probs... but its free and works so shut ur mouth sir :) )

and contact tech support and say u got it 2 xmas's ago.. Unless theyve changed the way they do things, that should be good enough for them to send u the shipping info.

20. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    LOL when did just telling them its x months old get you anywhere :roll: You have to tell them the serial number and from this serial number they can tell the exact date it was manufactured. It's been like this from day one ;)

21. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    i agreee, re-flowing is the way to go.

all other methods are band-aids.

check your local craigslist for adds advertising this. it typically ranges from $65 to $80.
    Just make sure if you leave the xbox with the person, get a receit stating that a) they are going to reflow, b) has your xbox serial numbers on it.

But in all honesty. Pony up the 150$ for a new xbox arcade. They are much much quieter now.

I have 2 xboxes that i have done the clamp trick on. it works for a few months and then i had to do the process again. i got to the point where now they sit and collect dust, and i have a new xbox arcade.

scaminatrix says thanks.
  22. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    That doesnt make any sense, cause manufacturing date and selling date can differ by ALOT.

I just told them my problem and they mailed me a shipping label.

23. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    what 3 red lights is it? i get 3 red lights sometimes but mine is caused by my power brick failing,i turn it on its side and it works again.

24. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
  25. HookeyStreet

Thanks Received:
    At some point you must have given them your serial number. They need this to register the console to you.

Trust me, I've returned over 20 consoles to MS. So I know what info they require ;)