• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xenturion's Folley (Mini ITX Build)

System Name Main Rig
Processor Intel i5-4670K
Motherboard ASRock Z87E-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120M (Push+Pull)
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Sniper 1866 1.5V
Video Card(s) HD 6870 (Waiting on AIB partner R9 290 Release)
Storage WD 600GB VelociRaptor (w/ 60GB SSD Cache) / 2x 64GB SanDisk SSD RAID0
Display(s) 3x Acer 20" @ 1600x900
Case Cooler Master Elite130
Power Supply Seasonic 450W G-Series (80+ Gold)
Software Win7 Pro 64-bit
So, I may have gotten a little overzealous in my recent build. While I did plan for and consider thermals, I dramatically underestimated how much heat an R9 290 would produce.
The Parts:
i5-4670K @ 4 Ghz
ASRock Z87E-ITX
8GB G.Skill 1866
600GB 10K RPM /w 64GB cache
2x 64GB RAID0 Sandisk SSDs
Gigabyte WindForce R9 290
Cooler Master Elite 130 Case
Seasonic G-Series 450W 80Plus Gold (Modular)

I have a bit of a heat problem. First, I should mention that the BIOS switch for Quiet and Performance modes on my card seem to make no difference, with the fan topping out at 47% on either mode and the card throttling down when it approaches 85C. The problem I'm having is not so much the card, but the insane heat that builds up inside the case. I have the power supply drawing air from the interior of the case. This is effectively the only exhaust the case has except air slipping around the sides of the power supply and escaping through the vent on the top of the Elite 130. A small amount of air actually escapes through the mesh of the Optical Drive Bay, which is where the hard drive is located. (I opted not to use an ODD on this build)

In less demanding games, this setup works fine, but any sustained usage bakes the interior of the case. With only the GPU crunching, eventually the card throttles all the way down from its 1040MHz down to roughly 750Mhz. The HDD gets heated to 45C even though it's idling. The case itself gets very warm to the touch. In an attempt to assuage the problem, I cut a vent directly above the card using a jigsaw. (Ive got a spare, pristine case shell from my Elite 120 HTPC in reserve) This helped a bit, but a support beam blocks most of the escaping air. Even with the video card's fan at an unbearably loud speed, the card throttles down. In retrospect, I find it fairly entertaining that they showed a 7990 in the press photos for the Elite 130 and that card produces even more heat.

Which leads me to why I'm making this post: Can anyone think of a Mini ITX (or even a small mATX) case that can support my build?
The Mini ITX Prodigy and Node 304 are out because I don't think they'll support the Modular Power Supply I've got because it's 160mm deep plus connectors.

At this point, I'm seriously considering returning the 290, probably incurring a massive restocking fee, and buying a reference GTX 780. I thought at least some of the air coming off the WindForce would exit through the slot cover vent, but it all pours into the case.

tl;dr: Don't put a high wattage non-blower card in an Elite 120/130 and expect your system to maintain reasonable temperatures

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
So, I may have gotten a little overzealous in my recent build. While I did plan for and consider thermals, I dramatically underestimated how much heat an R9 290 would produce.
The Parts:
i5-4670K @ 4 Ghz
ASRock Z87E-ITX
8GB G.Skill 1866
600GB 10K RPM /w 64GB cache
2x 64GB RAID0 Sandisk SSDs
Gigabyte WindForce R9 290
Cooler Master Elite 130 Case
Seasonic G-Series 450W 80Plus Gold (Modular)

I have a bit of a heat problem. First, I should mention that the BIOS switch for Quiet and Performance modes on my card seem to make no difference, with the fan topping out at 47% on either mode and the card throttling down when it approaches 85C. The problem I'm having is not so much the card, but the insane heat that builds up inside the case. I have the power supply drawing air from the interior of the case. This is effectively the only exhaust the case has except air slipping around the sides of the power supply and escaping through the vent on the top of the Elite 130. A small amount of air actually escapes through the mesh of the Optical Drive Bay, which is where the hard drive is located. (I opted not to use an ODD on this build)

In less demanding games, this setup works fine, but any sustained usage bakes the interior of the case. With only the GPU crunching, eventually the card throttles all the way down from its 1040MHz down to roughly 750Mhz. The HDD gets heated to 45C even though it's idling. The case itself gets very warm to the touch. In an attempt to assuage the problem, I cut a vent directly above the card using a jigsaw. (Ive got a spare, pristine case shell from my Elite 120 HTPC in reserve) This helped a bit, but a support beam blocks most of the escaping air. Even with the video card's fan at an unbearably loud speed, the card throttles down. In retrospect, I find it fairly entertaining that they showed a 7990 in the press photos for the Elite 130 and that card produces even more heat.

Which leads me to why I'm making this post: Can anyone think of a Mini ITX (or even a small mATX) case that can support my build?
The Mini ITX Prodigy and Node 304 are out because I don't think they'll support the Modular Power Supply I've got because it's 160mm deep plus connectors.

At this point, I'm seriously considering returning the 290, probably incurring a massive restocking fee, and buying a reference GTX 780. I thought at least some of the air coming off the WindForce would exit through the slot cover vent, but it all pours into the case.

tl;dr: Don't put a high wattage non-blower card in an Elite 120/130 and expect your system to maintain reasonable temperatures

Ouch, 290/290X is a huge no-no for ITX cases. My 780 gets hot enough as a custom cooler (reference card would be more suitable for an ITX case). There is no ideal ITX case for handling the kind of heat you're talking. An AIO cooler for the GPU would be my best guess, like the Arctic Accelero Hybrid. Either that or buy a bigger case. I think you're gonna need an mATX case with some decent airflow to deal with it.

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!