• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP Home, then Pro, then Vista Install Questions

System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus Prime z490-A
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
Ok. So I ordered XP Pro for my new compy. I was wondering though the installation of one OS to another and how well they transfer.

Both 32 and 64bit come on the package for me to play around with. It wont be here for a while, so I'll be installing XP Home that I got with my Dell from Dinos ago.

Now, will XP Pro go right on top of it with no problem, or will a format be neccesary? I wonder this because if my system boots fine and runs, I want to go ahead and start putting a few games to gaze in aw over. Should I wait first and add later? Or is it ok to start putting things like FEAR, CS:S, Unreal Tourny, ect... or wait for the XP Pro to add stuff? I don't think it should be a problem, but just wanted to check.

Also, if I have 2 hard drives, on Vista, one XP; can I still play games from the drive that has XP while in Vista? I'm thinking of getting Buisness Edition and putting it a seperate hard drive just to play with here and there. (A seperate drive so errors happen if I just partitioned it. Not arguing that because I have 2 drives, 2 OS, end of story.(came out stubborn but, eh) )

Thank you all once agian,
Andrew

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
Ok. So I ordered XP Pro for my new compy. I was wondering though the installation of one OS to another and how well they transfer.

Both 32 and 64bit come on the package for me to play around with. It wont be here for a while, so I'll be installing XP Home that I got with my Dell from Dinos ago.

Now, will XP Pro go right on top of it with no problem, or will a format be neccesary? I wonder this because if my system boots fine and runs, I want to go ahead and start putting a few games to gaze in aw over. Should I wait first and add later? Or is it ok to start putting things like FEAR, CS:S, Unreal Tourny, ect... or wait for the XP Pro to add stuff? I don't think it should be a problem, but just wanted to check.

Also, if I have 2 hard drives, on Vista, one XP; can I still play games from the drive that has XP while in Vista? I'm thinking of getting Buisness Edition and putting it a seperate hard drive just to play with here and there. (A seperate drive so errors happen if I just partitioned it. Not arguing that because I have 2 drives, 2 OS, end of story.(came out stubborn but, eh) )

Thank you all once agian,
Andrew

First question, I'd reformat...but I'm not sure if you have to. Second question: you'd have to install it in Vista anyways so you'd be able to play.