1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

xp pro full. retail,oem ect ?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by hydrive40, Jun 7, 2005.

1. hydrive40 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys I'm new at this so forgive my jargan. I wont to buy the best xp pro full version I guess that I can install as many times as I need to. for I have done a fresh install as hight as 4 times in one year because of viruses,Ect...But I don't wont to have to repay everytime I need to reinstall. I read somewhere to apply for a professional licence or corperate.That you can use it as many times as you like? Plus I think I have pirated copy of pro for now I can't install any active X even with excepting all cookies plus active x prompt. I don't won't to pay alot for xp pro but I do won't to be legal. can anybody help me out. they sell some with a heat sink at walmart at a good price but are they what I 'm looking for. Thanx for your time, Hydrive40

Pent4 1.3 mhz
    40 gig Hd 380 rambus 850
    400 fsb

2. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have an oem copy of xp pro sp2 that i got with my computer and i have loaded it many times (due to viruses and corrupted files) without problems or paying extra, just have to reactivate, so as long as you have a legitamate copy of the software you can use it as much as you like.

3. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never heard of having to pay everytime you install windows :eek: . How odd?

4. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Care to explain how you end up paying each install?

5. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    While wer're on the subject of XP... I have both XP pro and home edition, I havn't noticed much of a difference between the two except for a few extra features. Is pro really worth the extra $50?

here is a newegg link for XP pro. Cheapest I've seen

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  6. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pro is only worth the money if your in a network enviroment.

7. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    Pro is worth it for dual CPU (or hyperthreading!!!) support, and maybe for the network stuff yes. Home OEM is the cheapest and one of the best value XP os's to buy. Just buy it with some hardware (harddrive) and you are set.

You won't need to pay each time you use it, worst case you have to call MS for a code, which shouldn't cost anything.

There's a way to 'modify' Windows XP home to almost pro before installing, however it's certainly against EULA, so I can't endorse it...

8. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Home supports hyperthreading also. Or does it work better with pro?

9. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have prof and i like it very much you have plenty of more things you can especially for tweaking and network but you dont need it

10. Snipe0876 New Member

Thanks Received:
    do u have the disc of XP pro and a ligitement cd key if u do u dont need to pay unless u get someone to do it for u if u dont u can buy 1 and then same applies u wont need to buy again that code is urs it doesnt even matter if its a copied disc of xp pro as long as u r cd key is correct and ligitement having a back up isnt a crime

11. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Install your computer with all your stuff so it works good, then make an image of the drive. That way you save yourself a lot of trouble.

Also if you keep getting virusses update your computer, get a decent viruskiller and some firewall. Besides that don't open every file you get, in fact don't open any file you didn't ask for.

Also whats with the heatsink? :S

12. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I mirrored my old 80 gig onto this 160 gig while in windows :eek:
    Very good way to prevent virus's, back up!

13. G.T

G.T New Member

Thanks Received:
    On the subject of this.

XP Pro versus XP Home.

To be honest I found Home to be lacking in the stabilty department and after speaking with many friends about it I went out and bought Pro. I have to say it was well worth the extra cash as it really is much more rock solid than Home. Then again I multitask like a demon and run some pretty heavy Apps and progs (Bryce and PSP/Photoshop with FraxFlame working at the same time as well as other stuff all at once)

As for Retail versus OEM...
    OEM is the cheaper of the 2 and by a great deal, it is only supposed to be used with a new build/new PC that comes without an OS pre-installed. However, as this is a modding community I am sure we can all say we made or are building our own systems so can get OEM software and use it. *wink wink*

Article about OEM stuff if you wanna know more.
    http://www.alamopc.org/pcalamode/columns/hicks/pt1003.shtml

Long and short of it is, you get more support with retail boxed stuff and pay the price for that, if you know what you are doing and can install and configure it all yourself then you can prolly get away with OEM.

Always RTFM or the EULA first if in doubt so you do not get caught out. Mod carefully and save cash, but don't trip yourself up in the process people!

Lastly, if you are using a blag/copy of XP, I advise you do yourself a favour and go legit ASAP, it is only a matter of time before you get caught out and your OS drive might die without warning. If you are daft enough to have a Pirate copy of XP you are prolly daft enough to have loads of important stuff on that HDD also, so when that drive goes west when you get caught you run the risk of losing everything on that drive.