1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

your worse computing expirence?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tiys, Feb 12, 2008.

1. tiys

tiys New Member

Thanks Received:
    whats your worse computing expirence?

mine is when there was a thunder-storm, and i forgot to unplug my pc, and a surge went to it, and fried everything :cry:

2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Mine was trying to play doom3 online with a 2GHz celeron... oh god the lag...

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. MrW

MrW New Member

Thanks Received:
    Seeing my laptop in mid-air through the rear view mirror while realizing I left it on the roof of the car.

4. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    the first time you ever fry a CPU + motherboard from OCing. You'll never forget that smell, or the smoke, or that feeling of "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!!!! :cry:"

RIP - Pentium Pro + ABIT motherboard

hopefully, an experience I'll never have to deal with again - we've gotten away from jumpers and switches on the motherboard, thankfully.

5. bretts31344

bretts31344

Thanks Received:
    Plugged in power supply without the cover on and a metal screwdriver. Enough said.

[I.R.A]_FBi says thanks.
  6. x2mA mPn

x2mA mPn New Member

Thanks Received:
    when me and my brother bought 2 gigabyte motherboards (AGP) and 2 compusa power supplies...

both died on the same day

7. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Back when I was computer stupid and trying to learn stuff I was messing around with my socket a duron computer and broke part of the bracket when I took the heatsink off. Was able to get the heatsink clip back on but it didn't have much to hang on too. Well the heatsink fell off taking the whole computer with it. :(

8. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Worst computer experience... I was grounding myself to work on my computer, so I put my static wrist wrap into the ground of the electrical socket. I then plugged in the power cable to my soldering iron... but then I found out the socket was wired wrong so I got 115v of AC current through my body...

9. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly the worst I can think of was turning on my very first custom rig.. I was scared shitless that it wouldnt turn on lol

10. gOJDO New Member

Thanks Received:
    formating a wrong drive(with valuable and not backup-ed data) and reinstalling an OS on it.

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I got one:

just crashed after about 30 minutes of BF2142, yet it loops 3dmark06 for 5 hours

DUBYA TEE EFF

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. overclocker

overclocker

Thanks Received:
    well this isnt that bad but i was tranferring data from my 2 gb SD card from my pocket pc to my comp and i had a glase of water on my desk below and i took the SD card out of my multi card reader and droped it in this cup of water well it was a small narrow cup and i couldnt reach in it with my hands and i couldnt dump it on the ground searching for enything i could domp it into i found my blank CD cover and dumped it in there and the SD card was alrite :)

13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Mine was when i had my first water loop.My screen went all screwy so i rebooted,it was the same when i rebooted.So i got my torch and looked through the window on my case and my graphics card was covered in water,so much that it was dripping off.I ditched the shitty asetek water block and got a dd tdx.

14. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    when i tryed playing games on my computer without DX installed XD rofl good times

15. tiys

tiys New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice expirences! keep 'em comin!! :D

sorry about your losses tho

16. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Well my dad writes books and stuff like on the computer and I decided to install Vista on it cause I just really wanted to use it and I did the upgrade because I knew it shouldn't delete any of the files, boy did that turn out to be one experince. He couldn't open any of his files off of Microsoft word cause there was no Microsoft word. Man I felt like dying there, I thought I had ereased all of my dads files that he spent years writting with no back-up. All is well now though, man thats the wrost feeling in the world turst me.

17. Dia01

Dia01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mine was only 3 weeks agob while modifying the water loops. Completely stuffed a BFG 680i mobo and a BFG 8800GT being careless and only last night I put my new Striker II in and my 1000W E-Power PSU tripped the power circuit and didn't recover. Luckily I had a spare. It must be time to have a good run if I stopped fiddling with shit! :banghead:

18. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Dad didn't tell me he hadn't kept an external backup of the last three years' patient records. I went ahead with my bold plans of upgrading a NT 4.0 SP6 server to SuSE.

Oh the hospital did keep a hard (paper) copy of the records and so I along with three staff members spent four days recovering paper data into the re-installed NT4 server....

19. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Putting a 1 gig ecc pc133 stick im my server and not paying attention putting it backwards turning it on and watching the smoke pour out. very expensive mistake but we live we learn right.:twitch:
    This was way back in 1999 when a gig in a pc was something

20. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Probably when I melted my TEC and the cpu and mobo with it, or when I pulled the core out of my 6000+. lol.

21. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Sneezed in front of cpu and banged head, to and caused a lock up. Lol I unno why lmao but i got a big bump :/

22. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    One day I noticed a strange sound coming from the computer, a weird whirring sound. Upon further examination, I could see that something was blocking every single fan from spinning, everywhere I looked!

I took off the sidepanel to find all sorts of pencils, folded up paper, pipecleaners, and other assorted KID craft gear stuffed in every orifice of the machine, jamming up the fans...little people FTW!!:slap:

Also, I've ruined no less than 5 keyboards (at work and home) by spilling coffee, beer, wine, etc. all over the place.

23. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I removed my ATi Silencer 5 from my x800gt only to find one of the memory chips stuck on the cooler.

24. techbuzz

techbuzz

Thanks Received:
    Attempted to plug in a molex connector upside down while computer was powered on. Ouch.!@:twitch:

25. craigwhiteside

craigwhiteside New Member

Thanks Received:
    switched the psu voltage from 230v to 110v using the little red switch.. big BANG!! lol