• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Youtube, Discord, Visual Studio Code are flickering with black checkered squares/vertical lines. Partial solutions to this issue.

Have so many issues the last 2 weeks out of nowhere in Chrome, especially on twitter, opening a gui to send a tweet is enough for all kinds of elements to jump around and even give rectangles on the screen for some milliseconds not sure if my GPU is dying or if it is still this issue. I can easily trigger this too when you switch mouse cursor over borders and elements in chrome, every time your mouse cursor triggers some mouseover action like a tooltip or something triggers the issue with high chance.

I just have set here chrome flags setting "ANGLE graphics backend" back to value "OpenGL",
as I started to see these black squares again when scrolling/unpausing youtube video, on second day with new GPU (4090).

So seeing black rectangles over the screen for a short period of time also is related to this issue? Was a bit worried it might be my GPU was dying. Why is the fix not released so far by MS... so it is totally fixed on insider build?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
So seeing black rectangles over the screen for a short period of time also is related to this issue? Was a bit worried it might be my GPU was dying. Why is the fix not released so far by MS... so it is totally fixed on insider build?
Because I think the majority of people are bitching in this thread instead of reporting it to Nvidia.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
its not a video driver bug.
If the video driver isn’t playing nice with windows display management then I guess you could take it to Microsoft.

So when will the fix come to stable Windows 11? Any news on that? I totally wont go insider.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I noticed that ANGLE OpenGL in Chrome isn't kidding, apparently, when it says that it may lead to higher power consumption. It fixes the visual bugs in Chrome, sure, but I noticed that my venerable 1070 does appear to work harder. With standard renderer it hovered around 40-45C when browsing, watching videos and so on. Ambient dependant, natch. With OpenGL it does get hotter, around 50-57 seemingly. Not a big deal, obviously, but it is noticeable since all this is while the card is in the fanless mode and I can feel the airflow from the case fans dumping warmer air under my table. Hopefully the fix will come sooner or later.

So when will the fix come to stable Windows 11? Any news on that? I totally wont go insider.
Whenever MS deems the fix *stable*, whatever that means nowadays. Seeing how they still haven't fixed the bugged UI on Security Center that has been borked for a year now it may mean anything. I would not be surprised if they will hold the fix till 24H2 or whatever.

New Nvidia Driver released

Version: 551.52
Release date: 2024.2.13

With fixed bug:
  • Potential stutter may be observed when scrolling in web browsers on certain system configurations [4362307]
Let's hope it's fixed, going to try it

1708481558643.png

@saulob not sure what youre talking about. what has stutter to do with the corruption issue of this post? nothing. also no, the driver does not fix the corruption issue of this thread. the driver fixes the long bug with vsync stutter and fps drops.

Sastran0

So what's the latest update on this issue? I remember reading towards the end of January that Windows 11 version 26002 and newer came with a fix, I am currently on Insider build 22635.3209 and the issue still persists while using any Chromium based browser.

@saulob not sure what youre talking about. what has stutter to do with the corruption issue of this post? nothing. also no, the driver does not fix the corruption issue of this thread. the driver fixes the long bug with vsync stutter and fps drops.
You're right, it did not fix for me :(

Sorry

And what about that claim? Anyone can confirm? That would be the biggest hit in the face possible.
not really, as 26002 is a higher build version than this 22635.3209

anyway back on my 3090 now, already refunded the 4090 as it did not solve one thing and I only got more problems like complete pc lockups, sudden reboots because of the shitty drivers and intermittent black screens for 2 seconds.
3090 was stable as a rock compared to it

mark152

And what about that claim? Anyone can confirm? That would be the biggest hit in the face possible.

The Issue should be fixed in 26002:

"Issue 3992875 - Small checkerboard like pattern may randomly appear in Chromium based applications" - Finally! apparently the problem was resolved installing Windows 11 Insider Preview build 26002 (Canary Channel). "

But I don't have this build, so I can't confirm it directly. Is there anyone who is using this build and can confirm that it's really fixed?
For now I'm still using the max performance trick, and it works with the 3060. Not a single checkerboard artifact in weeks.

max performance trick
Thats the most stupid suggestion Ive ever read. Obviously I want my PC to use as little power as possible. Total nogo!

Wonder if the """fix""" MS included maybe is a dirty workaround which makes GPUs not clock as low and causes idle power to raise dramatically?

mark152

Thats the most stupid suggestion Ive ever read. Obviously I want my PC to use as little power as possible. Total nogo!

Wonder if the """fix""" MS included maybe is a dirty workaround which makes GPUs not clock as low and causes idle power to raise dramatically?
LOL! Obviously that is your problem. I prefer to increase the power consuption a little bit and watch my movies without that stupid black squares flashing around. At the moment this is the *only* fix that i found that works both with chrome and edge browser and i'm fine with that.
But if you prefer to wait months or maybe years for a stable microsoft patch that fixes the problem, well good luck :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sastran0

A fix I've been successfully using for months now is to defer the ANGLE graphics backend to D3D9 in Chrome.

mark152

A fix I've been successfully using for months now is to defer the ANGLE graphics backend to D3D9 in Chrome.

Don't give these crazy suggestions, please! It's well known that changing the ANGLE settings increases the idle consumption, do you want to blow up our pcs?? :laugh: :laugh:

Jokes aside, i tried all the possible idle settings and that does the trick, but only for chrome!! Unfortunately in edge the problem persists...

Sastran0

It is as crazy as your suggestion to enable max performance GPU profile. Both is a nogo. I am obviously not using DirectX9 backfall creating countless more issues and compatibility problems.
He was joking.
Neither are crazy and countless other users are using the DX3D9 backend with no issues. What compatibility problems are you worried about?
You’re taking this way too seriously, either use one of the fixes or just suffer with the artifacting till the official fix is rolled out which could still be a long time away.

Neither are crazy and countless other users are using the DX3D9 backend with no issues
Well I tested the D9 backend and yes it seems to fix the issue, no jumping elements/guis anymore or black bars. This problem was especially an issue on X/Twitter, not sure why. It seems to be gone with the D9 backend. I also noticed it fixes another issue:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1483750

That all videos played in Chrome are blurry, if you dont maximize them. This issue seems also be gone with D9.

mark152

He was joking.
Neither are crazy and countless other users are using the DX3D9 backend with no issues. What compatibility problems are you worried about?
You’re taking this way too seriously, either use one of the fixes or just suffer with the artifacting till the official fix is rolled out which could still be a long time away.
He is worried that higher idle consumption can be harmful for the pc i guess. But there's no evidence about it. I searched many discussions and forums because i was worried too at the beginning but i didn't found anything. Even the microsoft official support says that max performance wont hurt anything. The only real side effect is a slight major energy consumption for the battery, but if you use a pc or your laptop is connected to the power supply you should have no problems.
Then why this solution should be crazy or stupid? It's not a rethorical question i am really curious about it.

Last edited:

mark152

You dont seem to be very smart it seems or do you steal your electricity from your neighbors?
My dear mkdr, if you seriously think that activating max performance mode could have a significant impact on your bill costs you either have serious financial problems or you have even more serious mental problems. Please come back to reality and stop making a fool of yourself with such statements. Thank you.