• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX-8130P Processor Benchmarks Surface

System Name gaming system
Processor 2600k @ 4.2 ghz
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright ultra extreme 120 rev.C w/noctua NF-S12B push/pull
Memory 16gb corsair vengeance 2400 c11 @1.5 v/
Video Card(s) GB gtx670 WF3x sli @1080/1372/6660(core/boost/mem)
Storage 2x samsung 850evo 250gb raid 0 ,2tb wdblack, 3TB wd purple
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH, asus VH242t/19" lg 1440x900
Case fractal design r4
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1050
Mouse Razer abyssus
Keyboard corsair k70
Software Windows 10 pro x64

cadaveca

My name is Dave
do agree that I'm not interested in stock benchmarks. I disagree that SuperPi itself is important. It may be an indicator of more useful results - though often, it's not. But with regards to games, the GPU is always going to be the bottleneck - or at least, it should be. If it's not, you're not cranking up details/AA enough, or the frame rate is going to be RETARDEDLY FAST to the point of non-importance anyway.

SuperPI is good to relating how memory performance will impact game performance, for games that are CPU/Mem intensive. Of course, because I run all these benchmarks every week, this comparison is very obvious to me, so I understand all the confusion here about how it might, or might not, be relevant. Not everyone runs benchmarks like I do, or spends the time comparing them that I do.

Keep in mind boys and girls, I'm not only the motherboard reviewer here @ TPU, I also game on an Eyefinity rig, so the bleeding edge of performance is where I've been for years now.

If you don't understand the how SuperPi relates, then I'm sorry, but you do not understand CPUs, and thier performance, very well. Just go to one of my reviews and check out F1 2010 results, if you want to see how SuperPi relates to gaming, as gaming is pretty important to alot of members here.

A graph for edification:

AMD's current lack of memory bandwidth affects F1 2010 in such a way that Intel 1155 rigs are a good 50% faster than Phenom II x6 rigs. Why? MEMORY PERFORMANCE.

Unlike many people posting here, I have benchmarks to back up why these things are important. Anyone else got some to show me wrong? Don't worry, I have more benchmarks, too. I haven't been harping on AMD's memory perforamce for years for no reason.

Last edited:
System Name SolarwindMobile
Processor AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Memory 2 x 8GB SK Hynix/HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
Video Card(s) ATI/AMD Radeon R7 Series (Bristol Ridge FP4) [ACER]
Storage TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB + KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3128GG2 128 GB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2401 SERIES
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC255
Power Supply PANASONIC AS16A5K
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 3
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1607, Build 14393.969)
Good work - the circle is complete. You linked to an article with the same source as the TPU article for which this very thread serves as the comments. And guess what, the results haven't changed. Memory throughput is still lower, which is the point of contention with seronx.

50% improvement over Phenom II across the board

I do agree that I'm not interested in stock benchmarks. I disagree that SuperPi itself is important. It may be an indicator of more useful results - though often, it's not. But with regards to games, the GPU is always going to be the bottleneck - or at least, it should be. If it's not, you're not cranking up details/AA enough, or the frame rate is going to be RETARDEDLY FAST to the point of non-importance anyway. :D

CPU has always been the bottleneck
GPUs are already at 5 Teraflops
CPUs lol below 200 GFlops still

Everybody ssssttttttooooooopppp!!!!!! I'm out of popcorn! Have 2 run to corner store. Wow this is getting good. But in the end we all win so bring it on amd and intel. Bd will be the best amd ever put out intel's tweaking 2011 2 mop the floor. With everything b 4 it so the rollercoaster ride continues everybody hold on keep your hands 2 yourself and enjoy the ride:roll:

It is a roller coaster ride because by the time LGA 2011 comes out we will be worrying about how Komodo performs compared to Zambezi

Zambezi (2011)
Komodo (2012)
Next-Gen Bulldozer(No codename yet) (2013)

Wait a minute! I smell treason! On all the screens leaked you cannot see the clocks for the BD! Only on Aida screen when we look carefully we see that it is clocked at 4.2 GHz. Well if all those benches were run at 4,2 then do a comparison with Sandy at 4.2. It's getting interesting.

AIDA64 uses only 1 core for that benchmark what do you expect happens?

Stock Clock -> TC1 -> TC2

Turbo Core Mode 2 = 2 Modules are gated/turned off

Holy cats, you're right. AIDA is very clearly 4200MHz. I didn't even notice that before.

I noticed it right away :|

Dent1, have you looked at my system specs? No pro-Intel bias in my wallet, that's for sure. I'm most interested in truth. Unsubstantiated claims to the contrary of actual benchmarks (and I'm still discussing the claim that Zambezi's memory bandwidth is higher than Sandy Bridge, here, not SuperPi) doesn't make for much truthfulness.

Wait and see?
There will be an increase how big I don't know

10% to 30%

BUT, do not BE surprised when Zambezi Retail CPUs go up to 4.8GHz on Turbo Core Mode 2

I just did a run of cinebench r10 while downloading 10 files large files at once (background workload) on my i5-2500k clocked at 4,2 and guess what? I beat the octalcore with a score of 24999!

Moving/Downloading doesn't use much processing power these days run it with IntelBurntest

SuperPI is good to relating how memory performance will impact game performance, for games that are CPU/Mem intensive. Of course, because I run all these benchmarks every week, this comparison is very obvious to me, so I understand all the confusion here about how it might, or might not, be relevant. Not everyone runs benchmarks liek I do, or spends the time comparing them that I do.

Keep in mind boys and girls, I'm not only the motherboard reviewer here @ TPU, I also game on an Eyefinity rig, so the bleeding edge of performance is where I've been for years now.

If you don't understand the how SuperPi relate, then I'm sorry, but you do not understand CPUs, and thier performance, very well. Just go to one of my reviews and check out F1 2010 results, if you want to see how SuperPi relates to gaming, as gaming is pretty important to alot of members here.

AMD's current lack of memory bandwidth affects F1 2010 in such a way that Intel 1155 rigs are a good 50% faster than Phenom II x6 rigs. Why? MEMORY PERFORMANCE.

Unlike many people posting here, I have benchmarks to back up why these things are important. Anyone else got some to show me wrong?

Zambezi isn't Phenom II

That 50% increase in performance well....

30% increase in NB(IMC) performance+a Predictor or Prefetcher(what are those things that keep data called in Computer Engineer Jargon) and what is the percentage of going from 1333MHz official support to 1866MHz official support?

With both of those memory performance skyrockets from Phenom II

Edit: you guys post like crazy

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Unlike many people posting here, I have benchmarks to back up why these things are important. Anyone else got some to show me wrong? Don't worry, I have more benchmarks, too. I haven't been harping on AMD's memory perforamce for years for no reason.

Since I've been reading lots of your posts regarding this particular aspect I was shocked to discover the very poor performance compared to SB in this BD leak - fake or not -

DeerSteak

System Name Laharl
Processor Phenom II X4 955BE
Motherboard ASUS M5A97 EVO
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
Memory Corsair Value Select DDR3-1333 8GB (2x4GB)
Video Card(s) MSI Hawk Talon Attack GTX 460
Storage Intel SSD 320 series 120GB, WD Caviar Black 500GB
Display(s) Acer something-or-other 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
Audio Device(s) Roland VS-20 (Cakewalk V-Studio 20)
Power Supply Antec BP 550 Plus
Software Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS, SONAR X1 Producer
Benchmark Scores 4GHz @ 1.45v, running this way 24/7. Haven't even tried for more than that with this board.
You're not showing causality, cadaveca. You're showing coincidence. And you're not able to show causality until you can show that F1 2010 is truly memory-bottlenecked. It's your opinion, sure, and that's fine. Everyone needs a hypothesis to get started. Try running the same benchmarks (both SuperPi and F1 2010) with only one memory channel populated and you'll start to get an idea. If all the scores drop in half then your theory at least starts to gain some traction.

CPU has always been the bottleneck
GPUs are already at 5 Teraflops
CPUs lol below 200 GFlops still

Crank up the details and shift more work onto the GPU and you'll start to see framerates drop. Or do you just play everything on your Radeon 6450 at 2560x1600? Of course you don't, because the GPU becomes the bottleneck at some point.

Unsurprisingly, as you've been prone to do today, seronx, you didn't actually read what you were responding to. I'm starting to think it's a reading comprehension deficiency.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Unfortunately, dropping a stick of mem doesn't = 50% memory performance. Otherwise, I'd drop a channel from SB, and then the compare might be adequate.

I cannot drop 1155 memory performance to equal PhenomII, nor can I increase PII performance to SB levels, so the request you make is not possible.

I can, however, tell you to look at all the result in my reviews, because all the results together, they DO give the perspective you are asking for. It's not a theory, BTW, it's a FACT that AMD's memory performance suffers compared to 1155, and a FACT that this has it's impact in gaming.

SeronX asked for wPrime numbers...oh look, those are in my reviews too. :laugh:

Just take alook here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Biostar/TZ68A_PLUS/9.html

DeerSteak

System Name Laharl
Benchmark Scores 4GHz @ 1.45v, running this way 24/7. Haven't even tried for more than that with this board.
I cannot drop 1155 memory performance to equal PhenomII, nor can I increase PII performance to SB levels, so the request you make is not possible.
And that's still not causality with regard to F1 2010. My point is, if the F1 2010 scores are really due to memory performance, both the Sandy Bridge system and the Phenom II system should see similar, large drops in framerate AND similar, large drops in SuperPi. And without both of those, it's not fact, it's only theory. I don't own a Sandy Bridge system so I can't exactly go out and do this myself.

Also, you're acting like I'm not reading your reviews. I told you once I bought my board BECAUSE of your review, I'm not going to tell you again. :p

The Biostar review just provides more data points for the same CPU. Also, the wPrime numbers indicate there's bandwidth to spare if you have extra cores to use it.

Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Seronx asked for wPrime numbers...oh look, those are in my reviews too. :laugh:

Thanks

I want to see the Flex FPU at work ugh :cry: in wPrime

The only things I have been seeing so far is what I already know!

show me the wPrime 1024M scores Donanimhaber

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I can, however, tell you to look at all the result in my reviews, because all the results together, they DO give the perspective you are asking for. It's not a theory, BTW, it's a FACT that AMD's memory performance suffers compared to 1155, and a FACT that this has it's impact in gaming.

As an AMD user, QFT. I (somewhat) got around the memory performance by getting $300 dollar sticks of RAM, running water cooling on my CPU and cranking the CPU/NB frequency and voltage. This budget minded AMD rig isn't so budget minded anymore, but it works. Even in F1 2010!

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
First, I can't believe you managed to drag Dave down into this mess. That is a feat all its own.

Second, I will wait until I get my own hands on one of these before I make any judgments or assumptions.

Finally, while I don't expect miracles, I expect a nice improvement over PII in test that are properly setup, as Bulldozer supports 5 new instruction sets including SSE 4.1, SSE 4.2, and AVX. I don't expect miracles, but I expect consistent, across the board improvements over PII's.

And while I am posting here, I also expect a lot of other testing platforms to be outed for basing their tests instruction path on the name of the chip instead of the chip's actual abilities before this year is out.

While the 8130P is the current flagship, I would like to note the A8-3850 in their naming scheme. We all know the Llano is a 32nm Athlon II with better memory support so their is not much more they can do with it, thus the rather high number for the last 3 digits. The only reason AMD would leave such a huge gap in the FX line's numbering scheme is if they expect to release more chips later on with higher clocks and/or improvements from later stepping. By the end of next year we could have a AMD FX-8550P clocked higher with more OC headroom. No way to know for sure, but wait.

DeerSteak

System Name Laharl
I just want to point out that i'm not saying that AMD isn't behind; they're definitely behind. They're just behind in MORE than memory performance. There are plenty of deficiencies to be found in AMD's current silicon, and based on what's come out so far, there are plenty more deficiencies in their new silicon. I don't mind supporting the runner-up if I can get "fast enough" for "cheap enough"

cadaveca

My name is Dave
if the F1 2010 scores are really due to memory performance, both the Sandy Bridge system and the Phenom II system should see similar, large drops in framerate AND similar, large drops in SuperPi. And without both of those, it's not fact, it's only theory. I don't own a Sandy Bridge system so I can't exactly go out and do this myself.

OK, so you are saying, for you, you require those numbers. OK, I accept that. I could make these numbers for you, and have in the past, so that when situations exactly like this one happen, I can speak up, and not worry about the vlaidity of the argument I make.

The fact of the matter is that each and every benchmark you see in my reviews was vetted extensively to validate it as a performance compare.

Also, you're acting like I'm not reading your reviews. I told you once I bought my board BECAUSE of your review, I'm not going to tell you again. :p

I know, I know, but you know, as staff here, I do feel it's my job, not only for you, but for everyone, to make sure that things stay factual, and away from the FUD.

The Biostar review just provides more data points for the same CPU. Also, the wPrime numbers indicate there's bandwidth to spare if you have extra cores to use it.

Actually, the bottom two numbers are an 1100T. The P7P55 D-E Pro has a i5 750 in it. I do also have an I7 870 too. Interesting thought about wprime, but to me, that shows that although memroy performance is lacking in AMD, thier core performance is very good, so my perspective is not the same as yours, I guess.

As an AMD user, QFT. I (somewhat) got around the memory performance by getting $300 dollar sticks of RAM, running water cooling on my CPU and cranking the CPU/NB frequency and voltage. This budget minded AMD rig isn't so budget minded anymore, but it works. Even in F1 2010!

Yeah, and that's AMD saving grace with Phenom II...overclocking. maybe 3% of users here run stock...and time has shown that overclocking to the maximums presents a very different picture than stock numbers. But again, not everyone is going to have a CPU as good as yours..the 1100T i have is a much worse sample than yours, so while it worked out for you, if you had MY AMD CPU, I do not think you'd be as happy. :laugh:

I just want to point out that i'm not saying that AMD isn't behind; they're definitely behind. They're just behind in MORE than memory performance. There are plenty of deficiencies to be found in AMD's current silicon, and based on what's come out so far, there are plenty more deficiencies in their new silicon. I don't mind supporting the runner-up if I can get "fast enough" for "cheap enough"

You should hop on our TS server. We do talk about these things there too(from time to time), and through these discussions, it's kinda become clear that L3 cache performance is what's also lacking in AMD CPUs(well, my benchmarking has brought it up too).

I mean really, get rid of AMD's "Unganged" mode, and thier memory performance is even worse, but at least then both Intel and AMD would be using 128-bit memory controllers. The real truth of the matter is that Phenom II CPUs have a memory controller that can split into 2x 64-bit, and even then, they are still very lacking.

Bulldozer is similar...it's a quad-channel controller, in it's "native" socket(I do not consider AM3+ a real BD socket), so I do beleive that part of the problem with desktop Bulldozer parts is that 1/2 of thier memory performance will never be realized on the desktop platform...these chips WERE designed with quad-channel in mind.

Last edited:
seronx
BD FX 8130 is not an 8 core as SB 2600k is not one either even if the task manager shows 8 cores, but they are not classic 4 cores either.

Just because AMD marketing calls it that way doesn't mean anything, Its just for the average joe who is buying a cpu based on frequency or number of cores and what will he buy if he can choose between an AMD 8 core 4.2Ghz(turbo) or Intel 4 core 3.8Ghz(turbo) , of course he will choose AMD because he will think It will give him more than twice the performance because of double amount of cores and a bit higher frequency, nothing more. 8 cores are really just for marketing purposes, but in my opinion it was a really stupid move from AMD, they could have claimed BD is a 4 core which has almost the power of CMP designed 8 cores with much lower die space and not how they call it as an optimized 8 core with a bit lower performance but with a much lower die space.

They are both CMP designed 4 cores but to gain even more power without substantially increasing the core area they use additional design in combination with CMP(chip multiprocessing), AMD is using CMT (cluster-based multi-threading) which needs more core area but can give you more performance and Intel is using HT what is a form of SMT(simultaneous multi-threading) which on the other hand requires less additional space but will give less performance.
SMT or HT in this case increases core size by a bit more than 5% probably 5-7% I don't know If it is with or without L2 cache
CMT increases core size by 20% without L2 cache and with L2 cache just by 12%.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?265710-AMD-Zambezi-news-info-fans-!/page8

SMT, CMP, CMT
http://citavia.blog.de/2009/07/07/m...hreading-and-single-thread-execution-6464533/
and here is an important old presentation picture about multi-threading done right
http://www.blog.de/srv/media/media_popup_large.php?item_ID=3663732

What is a CMP? 2 cores, 3 cores, 4 core and so on

And what is a CMT? It's a modul
http://info.nuje.de/Bulldozer_Core_uArch_0.4.png
you can see a modul is just a single core with 2 integer clusters and not 2 cores based on CMP design. If you wanted to call a modul as 2 cores you would need to have everything twice and not just 2 integer clusters, thats why it shouldn't be called 8 cores because its not but instead 4 moduls or 4 cores with CMT design or something similar.

Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Finally, while I don't expect miracles, I expect a nice improvement over PII in test that are properly setup, as Bulldozer supports 5 new instruction sets including SSE 4.1, SSE 4.2, and 256b AVX. I don't expect miracles, but I expect consistent, across the board improvements over PII's.

Don't forget SSE5 and 128Bit AVX

And while I am posting here, I also expect a lot of other testing platforms to be outed for basing their tests instruction path on the name of the chip instead of the chip's actual abilities before this year is out.

I don't get this one

While the 8130P is the current flagship, I would like to note the A8-3850 in their naming scheme. We all know the Llano is a 32nm Athlon II with better memory support so their is not much more they can do with it, thus the rather high number for the last 3 digits. The only reason AMD would leave such a huge gap in the FX line's numbering scheme is if they expect to release more chips later on with higher clocks and/or improvements from later stepping. By the end of next year we could have a AMD FX-8550P clocked higher with more OC headroom. No way to know for sure, but wait.

It is based by 10s actually
8100 = 3.5GHz 8110 = 3.6GHz 8120 3.7GHz and so on

8550P would be this godly 8GHz beast

I quoted you for some reason but I forgot after I saw someone saying the FX Processor wasn't an 8 core

ISA behind, Memory not so much they are just missing a component Intel CPUs have (I think it is either called the prefetcher or predictor as said a million times before)((It doesn't help that the K10.5h CPU is using a rehashed/super retweaked K7 IMC and Zambezi isn't)

Overclocking isn't a big field that is why to optimize usage AMD invented the 2nd turbo core mode so people didn't have to overclock

you can see a modul is just a single core with 2 integer clusters and not 2 cores based on CMP design. If you wanted to call a modul as 2 cores you would need to have everything twice and not just 2 integer clusters, thats why it shouldn't be called 8 cores because its not but instead 4 moduls or 4 cores with CMT design or something similar.

AMD Zambezi is an 8 core CPU

It's an 8 core not because of CMT/Some awkward sound french guy or some smart person who owns his own tech forums

It is an 8 core BECAUSE EACH core has it's own resources

CMP over provides
SMT under provides

AMDs CMT under marketing terms says it provides balance

Meaning you can't compare it to either cpu design and say it's not an 8 core

Edit: I ate and I ready to talk about Zambezi again

Last edited:

DeerSteak

System Name Laharl
Actually, the bottom two numbers are an 1100T. The P7P55 D-E Pro has a i5 750 in it. I do also have an I7 870 too. Interesting thought about wprime, but to me, that shows that although memroy perforamcne is lacking in AMD, thier core performance is very good, so my perspective is not the smae as yours, I guess.

No, what that shows is that the cores are getting enough - all they need - from the memory controller because performance scales near-linearly with more cores. For me to show this, i'll take you to a different review:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Phenom_II_X6_1090T/5.html

1090T is a 3.2GHz part, so you can compare it to the 955. 248 seconds vs. 372 seconds (using rounding), which is roughly 50% faster. Linear scaling. That means that the CPU is not memory bottlenecked at 6 cores or 4 cores. The memory performance isn't lacking if scaling is linear. And in that case, the performance per-core is just terrible.

I'm more interested in the thoroughly awful scaling of SuperPi scores, because that *can* imply that there is a memory wall in that benchmark, but only if the benchmark can make full use of all 6 cores. Does it? I don't know that answer; I only have 4 cores available to me in any one machine.

But it's not necessarily any better on Intel, considering the i5 661 with its 2 cores scores second-best at 1M. There's more L2 cache on the i5 and i7 and more processing power available (in terms of it being a function of clock speed x # cores). Does that mean LGA 1156 had awful memory performance? I dunno, because we can't put the Phenom II's memory controller on an i5 or i7. Isolating this stuff is darn-near impossible outside of AIDA 64 or Sandra benchmarks, where Intel has a lead, but not a 30-40% lead.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Oh, I can take your tact here under advisement, and look at some results in future compares; you do bring up a valid point. We could also state that platform-specific software optimizations prevent accurate compares.

System Name Matar Extreme PC.
Processor Intel Core i9-10900KF @5.1GHZ All cores Ring@4.6GHZ @1.280v , 24/7
Motherboard Gigabyte Z590 UD , With PCIe X1 Card intel killer 1650x card
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240L V2 AIO with MX6
Memory 4x16 64GB DDR4 3600MHZ CL16-19-19-39 G.SKILL Trident Z NEO
Video Card(s) Nvidia ZOTAC RTX 3080 Ti Trinity OC + overclocked 100 core 1000 mem
Storage WD black 512GB Nvme OS + 1TB 970 Nvme Samsung & 4TB WD Blk 256MB cache 7200RPM
Display(s) Lenovo 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440 144hz 1ms G-Snyc
Case NZXT H510 Black with Cooler Master RGB Fans
Audio Device(s) Internal , EIFER speakers & EasySMX Wireless Gaming Headset
Power Supply Aurora R9 850Watts 80+ Gold, I Modded cables for it.
Mouse Onn RGB Gaming Mouse & Logitech G923 & shifter & E-Break Sim setup.
Keyboard GOFREETECH RGB Gaming Keyboard, & Xbox 1 X Controller
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Home 22H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.youtube.com/user/matttttar/videos
My i7-970 @ 4.2GHZ gets alot less then half in sec in each test with the same test super_pi_mod-1.5 even at stock speeds i still get almost half sec in each test. :nutkick:

DeerSteak

System Name Laharl
We could also state that platform-specific software optimizations prevent accurate compares.

That's another good point that I had not considered. If the app is using some sort of SIMD acceleration not present on one CPU (AVX on Phenom II, or 3DNow! on an i7, though honestly who uses 3DNow!?) then that can make things not directly comparable. Still, a result is a result, and real apps have those same issues - if instructions aren't supported and it has to fall back to a failsafe path, then the app suffers on that CPU and its users have to learn to cope.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Likewise, when it comes to benches...the platforms all run them, and the results given are valid, no matter what they are run on...it's what the end user experiences that is most important. Like, I KNOW that the F1 2010 results are due to memory...because I tested to confirm that. the numbers in the graphs don't show that directly, but I did test exactly that, and that's why that benchmark is included in my testing suite.

DeerSteak

System Name Laharl
Agreed. This is a matter of pinning the blame, so to speak, and we've just differed up until now on where to pin it.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
Did I miss something?
Faud of all people said AMD was a win

I disagree for the moment, I want more concrete benches and an actual review of consumer product not an eng sample. IMO it's not fast enough.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I see my picture was delete LOL

We can argue til were blue in the face but it still doesn't explain anything. When we get better benches and NON ES chips then we can start to see what is really going on.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
seronx
BD FX 8130 is not an 8 core as SB 2600k is not one either even if the task manager shows 8 cores, but they are not classic 4 cores either.

Just because AMD marketing calls it that way doesn't mean anything, Its just for the average joe who is buying a cpu based on frequency or number of cores and what will he buy if he can choose between an AMD 8 core 4.2Ghz(turbo) or Intel 4 core 3.8Ghz(turbo) , of course he will choose AMD because he will think It will give him more than twice the performance because of double amount of cores and a bit higher frequency, nothing more. 8 cores are really just for marketing purposes, but in my opinion it was a really stupid move from AMD, they could have claimed BD is a 4 core which has almost the power of CMP designed 8 cores with much lower die space and not how they call it as an optimized 8 core with a bit lower performance but with a much lower die space.

They are both CMP designed 4 cores but to gain even more power without substantially increasing the core area they use additional design in combination with CMP(chip multiprocessing), AMD is using CMT (cluster-based multi-threading) which needs more core area but can give you more performance and Intel is using HT what is a form of SMT(simultaneous multi-threading) which on the other hand requires less additional space but will give less performance.
SMT or HT in this case increases core size by a bit more than 5% probably 5-7% I don't know If it is with or without L2 cache
CMT increases core size by 20% without L2 cache and with L2 cache just by 12%.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?265710-AMD-Zambezi-news-info-fans-!/page8

SMT, CMP, CMT
http://citavia.blog.de/2009/07/07/m...hreading-and-single-thread-execution-6464533/
and here is an important old presentation picture about multi-threading done right
http://www.blog.de/srv/media/media_popup_large.php?item_ID=3663732

What is a CMP? 2 cores, 3 cores, 4 core and so on

This is interesting. Actually, there were times that HT degraded performance in single threaded games, in the good old P4 era. Not sure if that happens on the core i architecture, but if it does, you could just disable HT.

But I don't think you could disable such "modules" in bulldozer. So they are permanent cores. So in this I can say that BD has 8 real cores anyway. My question is all about scaling.
Real cores on an opteron G34 for example, scale pretty well, not sure the exact number, but I bet is better than 80% in efficiency terms.

We all know intel HT helps a lot in certain scenarios, but its far away from being magical and cannot be considered as an additional cores, well all already know that. BD is different, is so different that we are discussing if we should consider each modules as core or both modules as a core. A new term could be introduced....

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
SuperPI is good to relating how memory performance will impact game performance, for games that are CPU/Mem intensive. Of course, because I run all these benchmarks every week, this comparison is very obvious to me, so I understand all the confusion here about how it might, or might not, be relevant. Not everyone runs benchmarks like I do, or spends the time comparing them that I do.

If you don't understand the how SuperPi relates, then I'm sorry, but you do not understand CPUs, and thier performance, very well. Just go to one of my reviews and check out F1 2010 results, if you want to see how SuperPi relates to gaming, as gaming is pretty important to alot of members here.

A graph for edification:

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Biostar/TZ68A_PLUS/images/f12010.gif

Erhem. Are we talking about ram bandwidth or cache? Intel 775 chips are also faster at super pi despite having notably less ram bandwidth than AMD chips. Doesn't this suggest the super pi discrepancy is exactly what everyone else has always blamed it on? It's simply a program that favors Intel architecture.

As long as AMD markets Zambezi/FX-8310P as an octocore chip, which it does, absolutely every argument claiming that "it's not really an octocore" is bound to fall flat.

Why. That's marketing. It means zilch, zero, nada. I saw a speaker set once marketed as a sound explosion. I'm pretty sure sound didn't explode. Go read the marketing on the latest TUF board with that proactive armor heat neutralizer crap. Wtf does this shit even mean??? Marketing doesn't say crap about the realities of the product.

Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Mouse SteelSeries Rival

AMD Bulldozer module

There are two cores in there beyond belief I proved it hahahaha mwaahahaha :laugh: