• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Seeks to Patent MacBook Air Design, OLED Brightness

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
And summary of thread as if we all thought any different is..

Blah blah I hate Apple

rah rah Apple are innovative

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
April 27th is the new April Fools day.

If this isn't a fucking joke I'm going to make it my life goal to prevent all my relatives from buying Apple junk.

System Name Ladpot ◦◦◦ Desktop
Processor R7 5800H ◦◦◦ i7 4770K, watercooled
Motherboard HP 88D2 ◦◦◦ Asus Z87-C2 Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Mixed gases ◦◦◦ Fuzion V1, MCW60/R2, DDC1/DDCT-01s top, PA120.3, EK200, D12SL-12, liq.metal TIM
Memory 2× 8GB DDR4-3200 ◦◦◦ 2× 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 ◦◦◦ heaps of dead GPUs in the garage
Storage Samsung 980 PRO 2TB ◦◦◦ Samsung 840Pro 256@178GB + 4× WD Red 2TB in RAID10 + LaCie Blade Runner 4TB
Display(s) HP ZR30w 30" 2560×1600 (WQXGA) H2-IPS
Case Lian Li PC-A16B
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S / Contour RollerMouse Red+
Keyboard Logitech Elite Keyboard from 2006 / Contour Balance Keyboard / Logitech diNovo Edge
Software W11 x64 ◦◦◦ W10 x64
Benchmark Scores It does boot up? I think.
I try to favor companies that make good products and if possible, are not obviously trying to abuse 'n sabotage their workers, competion or customers. Intel and Apple are two bigs companies in IT I dislike due to this. Intel for their past(?) business practices, which is kinda a shame since their products are very good. But Apple, I dislike Apple for other reasons; firstly, their gadgets are not really any good. Secondly, Apple's products are way overpriced. Finally Apple's retarded patent practices makes them look very bad.

Intel I could buy in the future. They seem to have dropped their abusive ways (now that the competition is crippled).

But I don't see myself buying anything from Apple.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
On topic : Apple has always based the majority of their marketting on their desgns and look. I would expect them to try to get patents to keep thier products unique in the market. I would do the same thing if a big portion of my marketting strategy was based on unique designs.

Off Topic : Goodbye old wedge top friend. :cry:

System Name Jaguar X
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Corsair H150 RGB
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC
Storage 1TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG C1
Case Cougar Panzer EVO RGB
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Mouse Cougar Minos XT
Keyboard Cougar Ultimus RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ok. Right. Some of it might be true (like the Galaxy thing) but iPhones and iPads? The reason both of them exploded the market was because they were SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE ON THE MARKET. Did you use even a high end WinMo phone? When people had used those for a decade IOS came and blew them away, for very good reasons. It wasn't perfect but it was smooth and easy to use and you didn't have to use that stylus and it was like a fresh wind in their faces. The same with iPads. Tablets have been around for ever but they just weren't very good. They were clumsy and mostly aimed at the corporate sector. Then the iPad came and did things right for the consumers and it was a huge hit, again for good reasons. And if Apple stolen and copied everything they ever did, why did it become huge first when apple did it?

And others copy Apple because Apple is the target wether you like it or not.

And then we have the Apple Newton, which pretty much created the concept of the PDA.

So just shut up because Apple have made a lot of decent stuff and all the IOS devices are big and famous because they deserve it. Really, they do, and the market think they do. And why did Intel and whatever came up with the concept of "Ultrabooks"? Could it have something to do with the fact that there were good computers on the market that people wanted to buy that was light and thin and had a certain look? A market that could do with some competition?

I am sick and tired of the mindless hating.

The problem here is a problem of concepts. The true origin of ideas and then innovation. Apple made the iPhone and the iPad but didn't come up with the core ideas behind those products. No one can claim the purity of a concept, no such thing exists. Through history, people have built their creations upon the creations of others. To be completely fair we should patent everything humans have created so far.

System Name Jaguar X
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Corsair H150 RGB
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC
Storage 1TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG C1
Case Cougar Panzer EVO RGB
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Mouse Cougar Minos XT
Keyboard Cougar Ultimus RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
On topic : Apple has always based the majority of their marketting on their desgns and look. I would expect them to try to get patents to keep thier products unique in the market. I would do the same thing if a big portion of my marketting strategy was based on unique designs.

http://img.techpowerup.org/120427/wedgetoiletseat.jpg

When was that toilet produced, someone knows? That could be used as "prior art" to debunk Apple's intentions :laugh:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
To be completely fair we should patent everything humans have created so far.

Do you work for Apple?!? :eek: :roll: (j/k)

There is so much patent litigation these days (by everyone), I've pretty much been completely desensitized to it. Let them sue. I don't care anymore.

Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage PNY CS3140 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
What do they want next? the world? why don't they go patent Planet Earth, better yet the Universe or Galaxy while they are at it.

System Name Queen Bee
Processor 3570k @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte UD3 Z77
Cooling Water Loop by EK
Memory 8GB Corsair 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming WaterCooled
Storage 1x Western Digital 500GB Black 1x Intel 20GB 311 SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2420G
Case CoolTek W2
Power Supply Corsair 650Watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
I don't wanna rant but seriously what the fuck! So a laptop a certain shape and weight is a patent from Apple? Who thought of this bullshit?

Couple days ago went with my step mom to get something for my dads B-day. The only electronics store was an Apple store, fuck me! Went in there and was stoped by a "Apple Genius" when I was check'n out the Ipad3. Ok first off I was comparing it to the Transformer prime 32GB. I found one for $400, the I-pad was $600 wtf! The Apple "Genius's" response it has the most advanced technology and easiest ..... blah blah fucking parrot. Done! Grab the gas an matches!

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
What do they want next? the world? why don't they go patent Planet Earth, better yet the Universe or Galaxy while they are at it.
God holds those patents. The Apple litigation team is not prepared to do battle at that level.

I don't wanna rant ...
Then why did you?
Such conflicting emotions hiding in the bowels of our members' brains. lol

Okay, here's a question. Why does anyone here care if Apple is granted this patent?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Wow someone makes software that has become trendy and you wish eternal damnation on his immortal soul? Overreact much? :laugh:

Apple is so defensive of patents because of the amount of industrial incest that goes on today. Apple creates a trend via product and marketing and EVERYONE copies them. So now they have just become super defensive. Its not right but anyone in their position would do the same thing I think.

No, its his treatment of humans in the factories that make the overpriced plastic garbage most of us want him to burn in a lake of fire and sulpher (tm) for all of eternity, giving away little while being regarded as a genius by masses of blithering idiots with marshmellow cream for brains.

Okay, here's a question. Why does anyone here care if Apple is granted this patent?

Prices go up for us when normal companies are forced to pay more to worthless companies like apple, or competition goes away when they are closed down due to the generous bribes to officials make sure the litigation goes their way.

sykozis

Wow someone makes software that has become trendy and you wish eternal damnation on his immortal soul? Overreact much? :laugh:

Apple is so defensive of patents because of the amount of industrial incest that goes on today. Apple creates a trend via product and marketing and EVERYONE copies them. So now they have just become super defensive. Its not right but anyone in their position would do the same thing I think.

Apple also has a habit of applying for patents on technology they've had nothing to do with.... Apple allied for a patent for using multiple OLED screens to produce 3D images, yet Apple was in no way related to the development of OLED screens according to the information I can find. So, why can they file for a patent that's specific to a technology they have no claim to?

Processor Intel i5 2500K @4.5GHz
Motherboard MSI Z68-GD65-G3
Cooling Kuhler 620
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) 2xASUS GTX670 DC2 TOP
Storage 1x128GB SanDisk SDSSDX + 1x1TB WD Black
Display(s) Dell U2312HM
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX850
I love the design of the MBA and hate the fact that Ultrabooks had to blatantly rip off it. If this patent had been applied for before the release of the UBs or at the time of MBA's debut then no one (but haters of course) would have an issue with it.

...but why now? A lot of the products are already out, so I don't want the patent to pass completely cause it'll other the other companies and slow down the growth of UBs (yes even despite the fact that they copied it).

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
I love the design of the MBA and hate the fact that Ultrabooks had to blatantly rip off it. If this patent had been applied for before the release of the UBs or at the time of MBA's debut then no one (but haters of course) would have an issue with it.

...but why now? A lot of the products are already out, so I don't want the patent to pass completely cause it'll other the other companies and slow down the growth of UBs (yes even despite the fact that they copied it).

Other companies didn't copy jack. Apple ripped off the entire laptop/notebook concept from the genius that invented the first laptop. If anyone should be sued, it's Apple.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Sorry, but thie idea of a thinner lighter laptop is what ALL laptop makers have been doing for years.

And actually if anyone has a right to sue, its IBM/Lenovo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad_X_Series#X60_and_X60s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad_X_Series

2005 VS 2008

Sorry, but mac is worthless.

So you would rather NOT have any competition to drive prices lower and performance higher?

Genius.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified

http://img.techpowerup.org/120427/wedgetoiletseat.jpg

unique design should based from research and development not by using law and say we patent that innovation.
some apple's design not far from their competitor. so if apple 'copy' the design then patent that what would you do?
it aint fair or in other words is selfish

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Looks like the heretical populace are suddenly showing themselves here.

Hail to the Holy Apple!

Morgoth

Fueled by Sapphire
System Name Wopr "War Operation Plan Response"
Processor 5900x ryzen 9 12 cores 24 threads
Motherboard aorus x570 pro
Cooling air (GPU Liquid graphene) rad outside case mounted 120mm 68mm thick
Memory kingston 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ecc 2x16gb
Video Card(s) sapphire RX 6950 xt Nitro+ 16gb
Storage 300gb hdd OS backup. Crucial 500gb ssd OS. 6tb raid 1 hdd. 1.8tb pci-e nytro warp drive LSI
Display(s) AOC display 1080p
Case SilverStone SST-CS380 V2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 850MX watt
Mouse corsair gaming mouse
Keyboard Microsoft brand
Software Windows 10 pro 64bit, Luxion Keyshot 7, fusion 360, steam
Benchmark Scores timespy 19 104
i dont like appels i prefer banana's

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
The Atari 400 and 800 used a wedge design. So did the Commador 64 and some early TI systems. The Colecovision PC add on too. The Apple IIe and other Apple designs didn't,....it had some odd cut off shape. Apple is actually decades late on the wedge design,....

I don't hate Apple, I use some of their products but not exclusively. Still, I'd like to tell them were they can stick there wedge design patent application,....

sykozis

I have issue with any patent of this type. I also have issue with patents filed purely to prevent competition or innovation, which is Apple's typical motivation. Maybe if Apple actually created something new or unique, it'd be a different story. Problem is, Apple is the least innovative "tech" company in existance....yet claim to have created every market they've entered into. I'd honestly be surprised if Apple even has 1 patent that wasn't filed for based on "proof of concept"....

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
I think people should be more worried about how crappy of a drawing and laptop design that pic is...

EarlZ

Processor Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 Rev1.1
Cooling Noctua D14
Memory 4GB G.Skill 9-10-9-27-1T 2133Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX580 1.5Gb
Storage 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Samsung T220
Case Lian Li PC-P80
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Extreme Music
Power Supply Silverstone Strider Gold 850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
So Apple is getting ready to jump into the OLED tech?

Either they have found a very good manufacturer for it or they are gambling with a very great screen but has tons and tons of manufacturing inconsistencies, coming from a S8500, Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note and Galaxy Tab7.7, I know first hand.

F1reFly

Processor Phenom 2 965 Black Edition OC
Motherboard MSI G65
Cooling H50 Liquid Cooling
Memory 6 gig DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 580
Storage Corsair Real SSD c300
Display(s) Sony 40" 3D LED TV
Case Fractal Design-define mini
Audio Device(s) Creative Sigma 3d
Power Supply Tagen 900 watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Apple products have a great user experience. That's all i care about.
i pick up Android and Windows stuff and they have too many inconsistancies when using them, from stutter scrolling to various other quirks not to mention cheaper quality parts, you can often tell that no one before production of these various mobile devices ever sat down with the product and tried to perfect it.
what Apple innovates or not or what patent they have doesn't mean crap to a product that has a great feel and does what is expected with consistancy. Something that my Windows laptop has never had nor my Android phone...at least when i buy something Apple, i know what i can expect. i don't have to research 200 models from various companies just to use the same apps and OS they all offer.
My ipod and ipad to this day, have literally outlasted with consistant performance and quick access from a great feeling UI than any MP3 player and touch device that i've ever owned, which was quite a few more than i'd care to admit.
That alone speaks volumes more than what Patent they are abusing or what they stole from some company that obviously couldn't do enough with on their own.

sykozis

Problem is, Apple likes to use patents to hinder innovation/competition...not promote it. Would be quite a bit different if Apple's intention was the contrary of what it's been proven to be.