• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help? Installed Wrong Bios for X800pro, Cant boot on floppy ?

Thaiman

I have installed a "wrong" bios on my X800pro, - and I can "Not" boot on floppy now - Again, I can "not" boot on floppy ?
Normaly, when you have a "wrong" bios in the card, you can not see anything on the monitor/tv - but, you can always boot on floppy, and then reinstalling the bios to "backup.bin" - Well ofcourse, you have to know the commands (I do) because you dont have a monitor to guide yoy!
But this time my computer "wont boot on floppy" (or HD and CDrom) with my X800pro in it
I have tree different computers here, and If I put my x800pro in one of theese computers then "notthing happens" - I think I do everything right, because I have a bootdisk in the computers (to boot on floppy ) - I meen nothing happens ? - If I put another AGP-card in the mashines then everything seems fine, and the floppy boot as it should do, and I can work wit the flashrom- But with my x800pro, even not a sound from the mashine ? Only a light in the frontpanel that indicates that theres power on
Before I start up, I set (biosoptions) to first bootdevise floppy, and I even have an old PCI-graphiccard to boot on too - My X800 in AGP-slot, and PCI-graficcard in a PCI-slot, and MB-biosoptions "primary displays first PCI/AGP"

I have tried this problem before- for some years ago I delletted my bios in a GF4200 - and there there was no picture on the monitor, but I could restart the mashine, with floppy - and then I new the commands for the biosinstall, even that I couldnt see anything - And "wauuu" I got my GF4200 back to life again - But my x800pro ? ? - I think its gone - But ok, the fan on the card Is working fine - so maybe there is a way, even that no one computer will start with my x800pro in it, even not on floppy,HD and CDrom

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
You need a PCI card to boot your machine, if you messed up the BIOS in the X800 there's no way it'll display anything, not even a DOS prompt, so get an extra card.

NRP

Thaiman,
Are you saying that even with a PCI card installed and the Bios set to boot from PCI first that the computer still won't boot from a floppy? If so, I'm sorry I don't know what to tell you. You may be out of luck.

Thaiman

Yes NRP, thats the problem - even with a PCI card in the mashine, and boot from PCI first PCI/AGP, nothing happens - the computer(s) can not start with this x800pro

Labbetuss

you can allways go look for a msdos 6.22 disk set to be able to boot on floppy.

Thaiman

Thx labbetus, but I have a "Dos 6,22 bootdiskette" and this bootdisk is working fine !! - I always use this bootdisk, before I use any "flashrom programs"! But ass I told here before - Yes, my computer is set to boot on floppy first, and biosoption PCI/AGP - too read the PCI card in the mashine first, but the computer "never" start to boot on the floppy (dos 6.22 bootdisk) with my x800pro in it
If I choose to "only change" the AGPX800pro wit another AGPGraphiccard, and not change "anything" in MainBoardBios, The computer is boothing fine from floppy - And again, I am not touching the bios in the motherboard - I am only chainging the AGP-graphiccard, and the computer can boot "fine" from floppy ?

Thaiman

By the way, If somebody is interresting in some numbers - When I normally use flashroms for my x800pro I use Gigabyte's "GVF11" And ATI's moddified/unmoddified flashroms - I think I have tried over ten different Bios'es on my card now - I have tried Asusxt, Connect3Dxt, Sapphirext, ATIXT/ATIpro, Vivo16pipespro, a.s.o,, And everytime my x800pro can work with theese bioses - No problems detected here !!

Everything went "terrible" wrong when I went to Gigabyte's homepage, and saw that there was a new "GVF12" with a new X800xt bios too - I got it all, - restarted my computer (boothing on floppy, with dos 6.22 bootdisk) - Chainging floppydisk to my GVF12 and Bios,, Installing this new bios [ GVF12 -p -f RX80T8V.F2 ] everything seemes fine here, and no problems detected in installing it - OK, "restart" the mashine - AND HERE WE GO ? ? ? Nothing happend, Black monitor, - And with my "dos bootdisk" in floppy,,,,, - hmmmm, nothing happend - and can not boot from floppy, even that my mainboard bios is set to do that,,, (first bootdevice floppy) - ? ? ? And remember, when I take out the x800pro from my mashine, my computer is boothing fine from floppy ? ? ?

Theese are the files, remember "NOT" to use theese files programs from Gigabyte -
"Flashrom GVF12 and Bios RX80T8V.F2"

Thaiman

Another thing, It is not a problem, that I have a black monitor, - And it is not a problem "that I can "Not" see anything on my monitor"
As I told, I have tried this before - And normally, I will just boot on floppy and then reinstalling the backup.bin (without seeing anything)

But the "main-problem" is - I can NOT boot on floppy, with my x800pro in the mashine now

Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
I'm sorry Thaiman, I didn't notice you were already using a PCI vidcard, my mistake, dunno how to help you, have you tried emailing gygabyte about your problem?
Good luck.

Labbetuss

Thaiman, in the bios ther's an option that say's "First Boot".

When using both pci and AGP you need to specify wich card to boot on, there you can choose PCI and AGP as First Boot.

Just incase you havent changed this before in BIOS.

backspave

Same thing happend to me, used the bios from Gigabyte,,,, and vola dead card

Thaiman

WEEEEEEEEEEEE - I have done it --- I DID IT !!!!!! ? ? ?

A long storry, and no sleep (for tree days) But i am the type who never gives up
Yeahh, I could not boot on floppy -
Here is what I did :

1: Bios option, first bootdevice A: (floppy) and First device to display PCI/AGP - Ok, I could not boot as you know on floppy under this option with my x800pro in my mashine!!

2: With my Pci-graphic-card card in the mashine (I can boot) - So I desided to try a new way -

3: I turn on power, I wait 4 seccunds, and I "very fast" put in my x800pro in the AGPslot,, When I did like this, I noticed that "sometimes" my computer started to boot on floppy - But here I was out of luck, because everytime I tried my flashprograms (when I had a lucky boot) It just told me that, there was no ATI-card in my mashine "flashrom -i"? ? ?
4: But "one time" (after long time doing this process) I Finally got contact with my X800pro, but again just to tell me "Reg mapping error" everytime I tried my "many" flashprograms (command "flashrom -p -f 0 backup.bin" and many others)
4: Yeahh, after many, many times I did this process (this was the only way to have some form of contact with my x800pro) - And every time I had a contact with my X800pro, It was "always" a different contact, sometimes one flashprogram could see the x800pro, sometimes all flashprograms could see the X800pro - And moustly at all, I did "not" have a contact. Another thing "when" I have contact, the romsize of the bios was chainging everytime, and sometimes the bios was lucked, and somethimes unlocked ? ? ? ?
5: But one time, (day tree) I had a contact, and with this command "flashrom -i" everything saw normal - OK, and I flashed with "flashrom -p -f 0 backup.bin" ,,,,,,, AND ? ? ? YEAHHHHHHHH I had the "sweetest sound in my eare" - The bios was installed correctly
6 I rebotted my mashine, and my x800pro is back in life again ? ? ? ? Yeah

Thaiman

A long storry, and no sleep (for tree days) But i am the type who never gives up
Here is what I did :

1: Bios option, first bootdevice A: (floppy) and First device to display PCI/AGP - Ok, I could not boot as you know on floppy under this option with my x800pro in my mashine!!

2: With my Pci-graphic-card card in the mashine (I can boot) - So I desided to try a new way -

3: I turn on power, I wait 4 seccunds, and I "very fast" put in my x800pro in the AGPslot,, When I did like this, I noticed that "sometimes" my computer started to boot on floppy - But here I was out of luck, because everytime I tried my flashprograms (when I had a lucky boot) It just told me that, there was no ATI-card in my mashine "flashrom -i"? ? ?
4: But "one time" (after long time doing this process) I Finally got contact with my X800pro, but again just to tell me "Reg mapping error" everytime I tried my "many" flashprograms (command "flashrom -p -f 0 backup.bin" and many others)
4: Yeahh, after many, many times I did this process (this was the only way to have some form of contact with my x800pro) - And every time I had a contact with my X800pro, It was "always" a different contact, sometimes one flashprogram could see the x800pro, sometimes all flashprograms could see the X800pro - And moustly at all, I did "not" have a contact. Another thing "when" I have contact, the romsize of the bios was chainging everytime, and sometimes the bios was lucked, and somethimes unlocked ? ? ? ?
5: But one time, (day tree) I had a contact, and with this command "flashrom -i" everything saw normal - OK, and I flashed with "flashrom -p -f 0 backup.bin" ,,,,,,, AND ? ? ? YEAHHHHHHHH I had the "sweetest sound in my eare" - The bios was installed correctly

Thaiman

The "very Happy man"

I must do something clear for all - When I start my computer, I have a PCI-graphiccard in a pci slot - and my monitor connected to that ! (I use the first pci-slot for this option) - AND, as I told before the "motherboard bios" is set to boot "first on floppy" with a Dos6.22 bootdisk and PCI/AGP (Read pci as primary) - If I start the computer "under this option" WITH MY X800PRO IN THE MASHINE, I THEN CAN BOOT FOREVER, BACAUSE NOTHING HAPPENS - But as I told, I desided to "Wait" about 4. sec (after turning "ON" the power) and then "very fast" putting in my x800 in the AGP-slot - That was the way I did it !!!!!

Thaiman

Something important

backspave said:
Same thing happend to me, used the bios from Gigabyte,,,, and vola dead card

The "very Happy man"

I must do something clear for all - When I start my computer, I have a PCI-graphiccard in a pci slot - and my monitor connected to that ! (I use the first pci-slot for this option) - AND, as I told before the "motherboard bios" is set to boot "first on floppy" with a Dos6.22 bootdisk and PCI/AGP (Read pci as primary) - If I start the computer "under this option" WITH MY X800PRO IN THE MASHINE, I THEN CAN BOOT FOREVER, BACAUSE NOTHING HAPPENS - But as I told, I desided to "Wait" about 4. sec (after turning "ON" the power) and then "very fast" putting in my x800 in the AGP-slot - That was the way I did it !!!!!

Thaiman

Sorry for all my replies, ? ? ? But I have to learn about this site/forum-options

Thaiman

Thx to all, who interested for this problem, and tried to help me out - Now I did it myself - but I feel happy about this forum - and a specially thx to "15th Warlock" for beeing very seriosly

NRP

Wow, great news, Thaiman! I'm glad you got it working!

Thaiman

Thx NRP, - That was really a "nightmare" - Now I understand that "other people around the world" have the same problems using the flashrom (GVF12) and bios (RX80T8V.F2) from gigabyte - I have several mails now in my mailbox - all the same, people "CAN NOT" boot from floppy (HD,CDrom a.s.o) after using this bios from gigabyte.
After installing "this bios" everything seems fine, but when you "restart" the mashine (to load the new bios in your x800) nothing happens, - just a "dead" x800 and "THE MAINPROBLEM" a "dead" computer too, If you change computer and put in your x800 in another mashine everything is the same, - It seems like the x800 blocks for all bootdevices - Soo people "never have a chance" to boot again, and reinstall a new bios - Thats very spooky ? ?

Thaiman

Backspave, - Here's some commands you can try to bring your card back to life again

1: I guess that you are following the way I did it - Your mashine is dead as long as you have your x800 in it - But if you do as I did you should have a chance

2: I guess that you sometimes have a "lucky" boot, in that case you should try theese commands, and I guess that you have a backup.bin for your x800

3:OK now you have "this lucky boot", and now you have som kind of contact with your x800 (this command: flashrom -i) - Maybe you noticed, that many things seems wrong here - whatever you see now, just dont belive it (Maybe you see that your rom size is dobbled, maybe your card is unlocked now a.s.o - but one thing "you can belive for sure" is that you have an adapter called "0"
4:you should always try this command: [ flashrom -p -f 0 backup.bin ] - If you have a fail here, then try this one (if you see that you dont have a flash under flashrom -i : FLASH = NO) Try this command :[ flashrom - backup.bin -p -f 0 flash/yes ] At last if nothing help, you you can try this command [ flashrom -fhdh backup.bin ]
5: Dont give up, you have to try, try and try - I am sure that you one time can have this "great lucky boot" - and you finally can install your backup.bin

Nice! :)
Good thing you were able to fix your card, though I must admit your method was quite unorthodox, what matters in the end is that it worked! :D
I would have never thought of it :p Congrats M8 ;)

patrikmuse

please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!i have Installed Wrong Bios like thaiman but i dont have any contact whit my x800 pro agp i installed the bios called RX80T8V.F2 and now the sistem dont boot... i have tried the method of thaiman but nothing.... if i try flashrom -i say "no ati card found if i try atiflash -v it say reg mapping error i havent contact with my x800 HELP!!!!!!!!!!! ( sorry for my english but im italian

olivier

hi

i have this problem :eek: :eek:

what version flashrom 2.37 / 2.40 ???

i dont find the command fhdh !!

help me please 5 days et night !!! no succes !

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor Phenom II 940BE @ 3.7ghz
Motherboard ASUS M3A78-T
Cooling Coolermaster V8
Memory 4 x 2gb DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5870 (Asus bios)
Storage 2TB SEAGATE SATA2
Display(s) Samsung T240 24" Widescreen
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi extreme music
Power Supply Corsair TX 850W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Thaiman said:

Here is what I did :

This is one frikken amazing story :D :D :D :D
3 days it rose from the grave...lol