• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

System Name hp OMEN X 900-000NX
Processor Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard hp Munich-S Z170
Cooling Asetek liquid cooling
Memory 32 GB DDR4-2133 Hynix
Video Card(s) hp GTX1080 Founders
Storage 256GB M2 Samsung (system)+ 1GB SSD WD BLUE edition GAMING(2x500 RAID 0 config)+2TB SATA (storage)
Display(s) LG TV 43 UJ670V active HDR
Case hp OMEN desktop X 900
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR DSX (Active) ,SBZ (inactive), onboard Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
Keyboard SteelSeries hp OMEN
Software Windows10 64bit hp OMEN edition
To be honest I don't know whatever it is normal however you at least have a media control panel which I don't have for reasons unknown to me I am also msi user msi GT72 DominatorPro with on board ALC 892 and all I have is selection under Control Panel Sound and device setup default format . When I play test sound it also plays only left/right but as you mentioned it works nicely everywhere else so it doesn't concern me to much.

It's not that great. Even with the hacked dlls for 5.1 some games like cod advanced warfare can't seem to utilise the frofront centre speaker. I think it's related to my audio panel and windows thinking it's a 2.0 speaker setup over optical.

Storage 256GB M2 Samsung (system)+ 1GB SSD WD BLUE edition GAMING(2x500 RAID 0 config)+2TB SATA (storage)
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR DSX (Active) ,SBZ (inactive), onboard Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
I checked COD AW and Ghost on both games all 5 speakers are working as they should , it may have something to do with that Realtek |Media CP of yours maybe it interfere in a wrong way it could have priority over default settings and if it doesn't work properly well who knows , as I don't have it in may case it is as it is and I confirm it works .

If you have it installed, mind sending me your configuration file in a pm? Might help me out. Also please confirm the center speaker works in game. It works in videos for me but in game the 2 front speakers kind of make it seem like it's working. Took a while for me to notice it's not

Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
that's kinda amazing , center works confirmed ..but..when someone is speaking it is not always active but I think that's actually OK , the music is distributed thru front/rear and effects all around, cant tell which and how much of effects gets thru center but it works I took it in my hands and listen to it ,what configuration file ? game cfg or what?

speaker system is Z 906 connected with TOS from GT72 DominatorPro

Last edited by a moderator:
User settings cfg. Should be under player in your installation directory
System shouldn't matter.

Mirth

I'm really having trouble getting this to work for games and am looking for advice. First off, I have a new build with Windows 10 OS build 10586. My receiver does not have HDMI so it is using SPDIF (the RCA one) to some SPDIF adapter using the motherboard's SPDIF header.

With the Realtek driver (non-unlocked) I did not have the Dolby 5.1 or DTS option available under the "Advanced" tab. Under the "Supported Formats" tab I can check both of them and test both, and they both play fine.

I did the A1 method for 2.71 and now have the Dolby and DTS option under "Advanced" tab. When I try to Test them, I get a "Failed to play test tone" message, so I have to go back to choosing a 2ch option. If I watch a movie with DTS/Dobly using PLEX, my receiver kicks into surround mode and they work fine, but any game I play only outputs in stereo. Anyone run into this?

(Also, I tried doing the Realtek unlock using the 2.79 method and I got the options unlocked but also failed to play test tones, and it wouldn't play anything again after that).

Did you do the registry edit after installing them in the disabled-driver-signing environment? It doesn't work otherwise.

Mirth

Atrumitos:
Hey thanks sooooo much, that seemed to do it! Silly me, I thought that when I did the registry edit for when I installed 2.79 it would have stayed, but it didn't. Maybe because I did a system restore.

I have another question for the community:

It seems as the volume for my front speakers is controlled by the Windows volume level while my rear speakers are not and are always at full volume. For example, if I have Windows volume set to 30%, I can slightly hear the front speakers and I can hear the rear speakers loudly as if the volume was 100%. If I put Windows volume at 100% then the front speakers match the levels of the rear speakers. Was just wondering if anyone has had this occur with them? I'm on R.71 drivers, and every other device for the surround works as normal (PS4, Blu-Ray player, etc). Thanks!

Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
@2bad PLEASE HELP ME I NEED THIS SO WHEN I GET MY NEWER LAPTOP "HP STAR WARS EDITION" I NEED TO GET THIS WORKING IM BUYING A Z906 SOON AND AM GETTING A ASUS XONAR U7 ECHELON EDITION EXTERNAL SOUND CARD SO I DONT NEED INTERNAL SPEAKERS WITH DOLBY HOME THEATRE V4. PS PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO CONNECT A HOME THEATRE WITH HDMI

What a desperate cry for help ;) ok!! lets get going but I believe you want be very glad what Im about to write so I feel sorry in a way for you already.

First lets get this XONAR U7 sorted out ..here I might be wrong as I only relay on specs and knowledge but this is what I think about getting this DTS mode from Relatek on Xonar

specs says :
  • Chipset
    Audio Processor :C-Media 6632A High-Performance Sound Processor (Max. 192KHz/24bit)
  • Digital-to-analog Converter(DAC)
    Cirrus Logic CS4398
    Cirrus Logic CS4362
Now as much as I would like you to be able to get DTS on this device Im almost sure this wont happen :
1. the chip is C-Media driver modifications on this page are related to REALTEK chip so that's for starter unlikely to work
2. the Xonar is similar in design as Creative OMNI & X-f1 5.1 surround pro which has they own Creative chips and everything described here doesn't work for both (experience I have both Creatives)
3. The Xonar supports
  • Enjoy one-click surround-sound brilliance with Dolby® Home Theater V4
no mention of DTS as well as it is on both of my Creatives which supports DolbyDigital Live only and there is no way I was able to get DTS on them , why ?? well because there is a hardware part in the chip which deals with the DTS and licences so it is not implemented as it is implemented by hardware on most RELATEK Chips where then has to be messed with licences part only .
So i believe that covers the XONAR part

As for your Super Fancy HP StarWars edition..first congratulations on a magnificent and nice looking gaming laptop but disappointments start further
You might be able to get DTS from the on board Reatlek card if it use one i couldn't find out of the specs which chip they are using except the audio system was developed by B&O quite fancy but it will sound like SHIT anyway without your upcoming Z906.

Things here going bad for you as well as there is quite a lot of HP Force Awakening customization they put in this edition and if you lets say want to have DTS on this machine as for now you have to be on the INSIDER version of W10 which do a clean install so all your fancy HP customization will go away .
Maybe you can bring them back with separate installations if they are available and question is will they work properly on new windows my guess it might work just fine but in other hand you could face troubles ..so a good amount of risk involved.
Offcourse you could possible revert to your original HP customized Windows but then again you will lose DTS support.
Then there is an option to wait official Microsoft fix or W10 upgrade version where the surround bug will be resolved but when will this going to take place ..hard to tell , may be soon may be in some near future .

Last edited:
I can confirm that the DLL mod works perfectly; and, easier/less hassle to get working than the other method (involving self-signing driver validation tool, etc). I have it working under Windows 10 Insider Build 10565.

Also, its not a good idea to chang DisableProtectedAudioDG = 1. It will break modern apps like Netflix (and other DRM-ready apps). Anyway, this step is NOT NECESSARY with the Dll hack. Just make sure that AFTER you select "DTS Connect" or "Dolby Live" successfully to go to your C:\Windows\System32; and, rename the hacked Dll that was installed, to RltkAPO64.dll.BAK. Then, put the original RltkAPO64.dll (that came with the driver you installed)back. Then, reboot!

I can't take the credit for this tip though, someone else pointed this out that the hacked DLL is only necessary changing to DTS Connect/Dolby Live! (once you change it and reboot, you don't need the hacked DLL anymore, just the original dll). The only thing that doesn't work is running "Test" produces only two channel audio output or none at all. But, don't worry! DTS Connect/Dolby Live! and all other sound functionality seems to work.

IT ONLY WORKS WITH Windows 10 TH2 10565

I followed this steps exactly point to point :

Method A1: <--- use only files corresponding to A1 method

1. Download 2.79 drivers from Realtek website. <----- iv got it elsewhere (GURU3D)

2. Replace file in the official driver with the one here. ( http://rghost.net/6RfCvqBY9 )<----- replace both files 64 and 32 bit (A1 method files)

3. Disable driver signature enforcement from advanced startup when installing. To get into advanced startup for Win7/8/8.1/10, hold shift and press restart. For previous Windows versions, press F8 on startup. <-----!!!! VERY IMPORTANT TO DO or it wont work!!!!

2. After installation, open Run, type in "regedit" without quotes. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value) type and set it to 1. <--- be sure the DWORD is where it has to be or it wont work

3. Restart normally.

Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
I can confirm that the DLL mod works perfectly; and, easier/less hassle to get working than the other method (involving self-signing driver validation tool, etc). I have it working under Windows 10 Insider Build 10565.

Also, its not a good idea to chang DisableProtectedAudioDG = 1. It will break modern apps like Netflix (and other DRM-ready apps). Anyway, this step is NOT NECESSARY with the Dll hack. Just make sure that AFTER you select "DTS Connect" or "Dolby Live" successfully to go to your C:\Windows\System32; and, rename the hacked Dll that was installed, to RltkAPO64.dll.BAK. Then, put the original RltkAPO64.dll (that came with the driver you installed)back. Then, reboot!

I can't take the credit for this tip though, someone else pointed this out that the hacked DLL is only necessary changing to DTS Connect/Dolby Live! (once you change it and reboot, you don't need the hacked DLL anymore, just the original dll). The only thing that doesn't work is running "Test" produces only two channel audio output or none at all. But, don't worry! DTS Connect/Dolby Live! and all other sound functionality seems to work.

This is quite interesting will definitely give it a try next time I start to mess with the driver again .

look what I found on my UPDATE center > th2_release CoreSingleLanguage 10586 well I give it a try !This came over SLOW RING.

Thanks for letting us know @dvojinov! I just checked, mine... it's almost done installing. I had no idea since I just installed the previous installed build 2 days ago with 10565

After upgrading to 10586, the dll rename trick no longer works. So, I'm forced to turn on DisableProtectedAudioDG = 1 in the registry (for Netflix modern app to work).

This may sound like a dumb question... but, how do I remove the test watermark on the Desktop? So, do all the people who use the "M1" method have to always see that watermark? I'm not sure what's worse, having to stare at that watermark on my main PC all the time or not use Netflix\PowerDVD bluray playback anymore (which require DisableProtectedAudioDG = 0). :)

Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
After upgrading to 10586, the dll rename trick no longer works. So, I'm forced to turn on DisableProtectedAudioDG = 1 in the registry (for Netflix modern app to work).

This may sound like a dumb question... but, how do I remove the test watermark on the Desktop? So, do all the people who use the "M1" method have to always see that watermark? I'm not sure what's worse, having to stare at that watermark on my main PC all the time or not use Netflix\PowerDVD bluray playback anymore (which require DisableProtectedAudioDG = 0). :)
well if you use the M1 method there was an app as I remember an app that did this very nicely , don't know if it still works check it out and search for :
My_WCP_Watermark_Editor

I'm confirming that A1 works the exact same way as before , and you are right makanet that swapping dll's thing didn't work for me without DWORD thingy.
New in this release for starter they removed watermark info about system version from the desktop seems like they preparing for final release .

predprey

DSEO should include all features you need for M1, including removing watermark.
M1 is for people who need HDCP for programs with copyright protection such as netflix. You can still use it but test mode is required to be on, instead of just replacing the dll and turning it off. as long as you're careful in installing drivers i guess it's okay to leave it on.

just for everyone's reference i will just copy and paste the readme here. everything you need to know i should already have written inside.

There are two methods, A1 or M1. A1 is recommended unless you require HDCP.
----------------
!!USE ONLY ONE!!
----------------
Method A1:
1. Download 2.79 drivers from Realtek website.
2. Replace file in the official driver with the one here.
3. Disable driver signature enforcement from advanced startup when installing. To get into advanced startup for Win7/8/8.1/10, hold shift and press restart. For previous Windows versions, press F8 on startup.
2. After installation, open Run, type in "regedit" without quotes. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio". Add "DisableProtectedAudioDG" of DWORD (32bit value) type and set it to 1.
3. Restart normally.

Method M1:
1. Download 2.79 drivers from Realtek website.
2. Replace file in the official driver with the one here.
3. Test sign the file with DSEO.
4. (Optional if not UEFI/no secure boot)Restart and disable secure boot in UEFI if it is enabled.
5. Enable test mode with either method below.
----|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A |1. Open command prompt with administrative rights. |
|2. Type "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON" and "bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" without quotes.|
----|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B |1. Enable test mode with DSEO. |
6. Disable driver signature enforcement from advanced startup when installing. To get into advanced startup for Win7/8/8.1/10, hold shift and press restart. For previous Windows versions, press F8 on startup.
7. Restart normally.
Note: If you want to remove the boot loader values when uninstalling, use "bcdedit /deletevalue [{ID}]".

finally i have said in the R2.75 post, there are audio suites such as X-FI MB3 or DTS Ultra PC, all of which i classify as audio enhancements. please don't confuse them with DTS Connect and Dolby Digital Live, these two merely provide the means of sending 5.1 audio to your speakers or receivers. if your game or music only has stereo audio, it will still only have stereo sound when using these two features. if you want 5.1 from stereo audio ONLY THEN do you rely on these audio suites to UPMIX your audio to 5.1. you can enable dolby pro logic ii that should be included by default if you want basic upmixing.

Last edited:
Updated to 10586 too. Since I had used the A1 method, all I needed to do was put the registry setting in place again and restart. Everything works fine still :)

Thanks for the tips guys. I had read somewhere that using watermark remover may cause issues. I'm guessing by now if there were any issues with hiding the watermark, someone would have mentioned it here.

Power Supply hp 600W
Mouse Logitech G620
Thanks for the tips guys. I had read somewhere that using watermark remover may cause issues. I'm guessing by now if there were any issues with hiding the watermark, someone would have mentioned it here.

I did use it before and cant remember any extra troubles

eitamaa

FYI:

Today my wife told me : "Windows installed some updates, now sound is not working."
I was on 10565 with 2.75 A1, and had everything working.

Long story short, I just followed This post from page 38 again, with 2.79 and now everything is working again.

I think windows installed driver updates, so I disabled that, but I didn't find any evidence in the Update History windows to that.

Does anyone know why Windows Device Manager wont let me install the M1 modded driver? It's preventing the driver from installing because it detected a self-signed driver. The odd thing is that "Test" mode is already enabled (since I have the desktop watermark to prove it). At first I didn't think dseo13b.exe wasn't actually signing the sys file. However, it must have done it correctly since the below method works; albeit, works until reboot.

PS: I have Secureboot enabled in my motherboard. However, it doesn't look like there's a way to disable it on my Asus motherboard. I saw something about clearing Secure boot keys. However, I didn't want to mess anything up.

I "CAN" temporarily let Windows Device Manager install and use the driver only for 1-time temporary disable of driver signature enforcement using below method. However, this only works until I reboot again.
  1. Click the Start
    menu
    and select Settings.
  2. Click Update and Security.
  3. Click on Recovery.
  4. Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
  5. Click Troubleshoot.
  6. Click Advanced options.
  7. Click Startup Settings.
  8. Click on Restart.
  9. On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.

predprey

as i have said in a post
Does anyone know why Windows Device Manager wont let me install the M1 modded driver? It's preventing the driver from installing because it detected a self-signed driver. The odd thing is that "Test" mode is already enabled (since I have the desktop watermark to prove it). At first I didn't think dseo13b.exe wasn't actually signing the sys file. However, it must have done it correctly since the below method works; albeit, works until reboot.

PS: I have Secureboot enabled in my motherboard. However, it doesn't look like there's a way to disable it on my Asus motherboard. I saw something about clearing Secure boot keys. However, I didn't want to mess anything up.

I "CAN" temporarily let Windows Device Manager install and use the driver only for 1-time temporary disable of driver signature enforcement using below method. However, this only works until I reboot again.
  1. Click the Start
    menu
    and select Settings.
  2. Click Update and Security.
  3. Click on Recovery.
  4. Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
  5. Click Troubleshoot.
  6. Click Advanced options.
  7. Click Startup Settings.
  8. Click on Restart.
  9. On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.

bcdedit testsigning on??

perhaps dseo testsigning is a one time only, turning off after a reboot. bcdedit sets it permanently as required

Test signing is on. That's why I get the test watermark on the desktop (mentioned above). I think the problem may be Secure Boot is enabled in the BIOS. Next step is to disable it..

as i have said in a post

bcdedit testsigning on??

perhaps dseo testsigning is a one time only, turning off after a reboot. bcdedit sets it permanently as required

predprey

Test signing is on. That's why I get the test watermark on the desktop (mentioned above). I think the problem may be Secure Boot is enabled in the BIOS. Next step is to disable it..
if u turn on secure boot u wouldn't be able to use bcdedit to modify values. likewise it would probably reset the values if u turned it back on

also bcdedit the disable integrity check entry

maximaler

Everything is made on the instructions. Does not work for me.
* win 8.1 pro (build 9600)
* motherboard a97z gaming 7 with ALC1150

- I install offical driver (realtek.com) R2.79
- Download this unlock driver for R2.79 (http://rghost.ru/6RfCvqBY9)
- Connect with "Toslink" wire

What's wrong? Help me please! )':