• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HDMI 2.1 Specification Sets New Resolution Standard

HDMI Forum, Inc. today announced the release of Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification which is now available to all HDMI 2.0 adopters. This latest HDMI Specification supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps. Supporting the 48Gbps bandwidth is the new Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable. The cable ensures high- bandwidth dependent features are delivered including uncompressed 8K video with HDR. It features exceptionally low EMI (electro-magnetic interference) which reduces interference with nearby wireless devices. The cable is backwards compatible and can be used with the existing installed base of HDMI devices.

Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the specification, and was developed by the HDMI Forum's Technical Working Group whose members represent some of the world's leading manufacturers of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables and components.

"The HDMI Forum's mission is to develop specifications meeting market needs, growing demands for higher performance, and to enable future product opportunities," said Robert Blanchard of Sony Electronics, president of the HDMI Forum.

HDMI Specification 2.1 Features Include:
  • Higher video resolutions support a range of high resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail. Resolutions up to 10K are also supported for commercial AV, and industrial and specialty usages.
  • Dynamic HDR support ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast and wider color gamuts-on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by- frame basis.
  • The Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable supports the 48G bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support. The cable also features very low EMI emission and is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.
  • eARC simplifies connectivity, provides greater ease of use, and supports the most advanced audio formats and highest audio quality. It ensures full compatibility between audio devices and upcoming HDMI 2.1 products.
  • Enhanced refresh rate features ensure an added level of smooth and seamless motion and transitions for gaming, movies and video. They include:
  • Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.
  • Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and video eliminates the delay that can result in blank screens before content is displayed.
  • Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency for smoother no-lag gaming, and real-time interactive virtual reality.
  • Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) allows the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity.
The HDMI 2.1 Compliance Test Specification (CTS) will be published in stages during Q1-Q3 2018, and HDMI adopters will be notified when it is available.

The HDMI Forum Reaches Out to Grow Global Membership
The HDMI Forum is an open trade association that guides the future direction of HDMI technology and develops new versions of the HDMI Specification. The HDMI Forum currently has a membership of 92 companies, and is actively inviting more companies to apply for membership and help shape the future of HDMI technology. There is also a focus to encourage more companies to participate as the global presence of HDMI-enabled products and solutions continues to grow.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Damn, they've just leap frogged ahead of DisplayPort.

RIP Displayport and PC monitors in general. The trend is that TVs are dropping like mad in price and input lag while having a way better picture quality and way bigger screen for the money. HDMI 2.1 gives us 4k 120hz and VRR. When all of these actually hit the market, there’s no room for Asus and Dell to overcharge for their crappy edgelit LCDs that doesn’t even have HDR, or render them correctly. OLED is also continuing to drop in price and guess what? They’ll use HDMI 2.1 exclusively.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
And here I am enjoying the life of 1080p on a 50" TV and on my 24" monitors.....I must be doing something wrong for not rushing out to buy an overpriced 4K TV.....

Help me! I think I'm broken!

And here I am enjoying the life of 1080p on a 50" TV and on my 24" monitors.....I must be doing something wrong for not rushing out to buy an overpriced 4K TV.....

Help me! I think I'm broken!
Dont think you are broke, even though I have a 1440p monitor still I prefer to play at 1080p.

The HDMI 2.1 spec was finalized back in Q1 2017 iirc, so this is more of a symbolic announcement than anything. It's probably not a coincidence though that this was announced just the 2nd business day after Black Friday. Consumers doing tv or monitor shopping for BF would have been more inclined to wait if the upcoming hdmi 2.1 spec had been more publicized. But we're still probably looking at 2019 before tvs and monitors really start to ship with it and use it. I'm hoping we start to see some early products that use it in 2018 though.

The naming conventions on a lot of these tech improvements always confuses me though. That big of a leap and it's just ".1" in the name? I feel like that just makes it visually confusing for consumers who aren't the type to constantly read up on these things.

System Name Sillicon Nightmares
Processor Intel i7 9700KF 5ghz (5.1ghz 4 core load, no avx offset), 4.7ghz ring, 1.412vcore 1.3vcio 1.264vcsa
Motherboard Asus Z390 Strix F
Cooling DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 360
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB (B-Die) 3600 14-14-14-28 1t, tRFC 220 tREFI 65535, tFAW 16, 1.545vddq
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1060 Strix 6GB XOC, Core: 2202-2240, Vcore: 1.075v, Mem: 9818mhz (Sillicon Lottery Jackpot)
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2430 1080p 144HZ + (2) Samsung SyncMaster 913v 1280x1024 75HZ + A Shitty TV For Movies
Case Deepcool Genome ROG Edition
Audio Device(s) Bunta Sniff Speakers From The Tip Edition With Extra Kenwoods
Power Supply Corsair AX860i/Cable Mod Cables
Mouse Logitech G602 Spilled Beer Edition
Keyboard Dell KB4021
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores 13543 Firestrike (3dmark.com/fs/22336777) 601 points CPU-Z ST 37.4ns AIDA Memory
The naming conventions on a lot of these tech improvements always confuses me though. That big of a leap and it's just ".1" in the name? I feel like that just makes it visually confusing for consumers who aren't the type to constantly read up on these things.

Im guessing it is due to the fact that this is an improvement and modification to HDMI2.0, theoretically HDMI3.0 would be a new design, or im talkin out my ass i dunno but thats my thoughts

RIP Displayport and PC monitors in general. The trend is that TVs are dropping like mad in price and input lag while having a way better picture quality and way bigger screen for the money. HDMI 2.1 gives us 4k 120hz and VRR. When all of these actually hit the market, there’s no room for Asus and Dell to overcharge for their crappy edgelit LCDs that doesn’t even have HDR, or render them correctly. OLED is also continuing to drop in price and guess what? They’ll use HDMI 2.1 exclusively.
More likely is that the DisplayPort spec will be updated, monitor features will be improved, and prices will be adjusted. Monitor manufacturers aren't simply going to roll over and die because the HDMI spec improved.

Input lag of TVs is still worse on average than monitors last I knew. Unless OLED gets some entries under $1000 in the next year or two it's probably not making it to the mass market.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I don't care that HDMI claims to have outpaced DisplayPort because I know I'm not going to have problems with DisplayPort. HDMI is physically designed to handle 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz. Now they're trying to ram a semi through it. It's not going to go over well.

Businesses don't want HDMI to connect their monitors because they have enough headaches without it. Two DisplayPort 1.3 cables is preferable to one HDMI 2.1 cable.

lol what you on about? Ofc you will need new HDMI 2.1 Ports, don´t expect to use HDMI 2.0 with this cable and get HDMI 2.1.

And yes I hope displayport dies and monitor companies adopt hdmi2.1. Enough of the fragmentation we currently have (hdmi 2.0 vs DisplayPort). Some monitors don´t even have HDMI2.0 ports and they ended up being a glorifired heavyweight for many players that bought a console aswell (ps4pro/xbox one x).

Better they catch up or good luck. You don´t even need Oled to have superior tech and image compared to any PC monitor out there. Even samsung LEDs rape any monitor.

But keep paying for your overpriced blacklight bleed/glow/muddy fest Asus/Benq crap.

Meanwhile the consoles have most recent titles with HDR and the TV tech keeps developing. But hey, PC is only relevant for CS GO and Pubg anyway /sarcasm

lol what you on about? Ofc you will need new HDMI 2.1 Ports, don´t expect to use HDMI 2.0 with this cable and get HDMI 2.1.

And yes I hope displayport dies and monitor companies adopt hdmi2.1. Enough of the fragmentation we currently have (hdmi 2.0 vs DisplayPort). Some monitors don´t even have HDMI2.0 ports and they ended up being a glorifired heavyweight for many players that bought a console aswell (ps4pro/xbox one x).

Better they catch up or good luck. You don´t even need Oled to have superior tech and image compared to any PC monitor out there. Even samsung LEDs rape any monitor.

But keep paying for your overpriced blacklight bleed/glow/muddy fest Asus/Benq crap.

Meanwhile the consoles have most recent titles with HDR and the TV tech keeps developing. But hey, PC is only relevant for CS GO and Pubg anyway /sarcasm
My monitor is rocking only 4ms of input lag, what about your OLED that cost you four, five ten times as much?

System Name lazy ass
Processor Intel i5 7600k 4.2 GHz
Motherboard MSI Enthusiastic Gaming Z270 (Z270 GAMING M3)
Cooling H80i GT V1 liquid cooling
Memory CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 8G 11Gbps
Storage seagate 2tb HDD/boot drive SSD Samsung 960 evo M.2
Display(s) ASUS 28inch 4k
Case Corsair Graphite Series 760T
Audio Device(s) mobo
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750G1 750 watts
Mouse Razer Mamba wireless/ needs a new one razer sucks
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
Software Windows 10 home
Benchmark Scores to be updated soon
Oh great and I just updated all my tech to 4K lol time to start saving.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
That's exactly why they changed to digital: encourage everyone to replace their TVs every few years instead of every decade.

System Name lazy ass
Processor Intel i5 7600k 4.2 GHz
Motherboard MSI Enthusiastic Gaming Z270 (Z270 GAMING M3)
Cooling H80i GT V1 liquid cooling
Memory CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 8G 11Gbps
Storage seagate 2tb HDD/boot drive SSD Samsung 960 evo M.2
Display(s) ASUS 28inch 4k
Case Corsair Graphite Series 760T
Audio Device(s) mobo
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750G1 750 watts
Mouse Razer Mamba wireless/ needs a new one razer sucks
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
Software Windows 10 home
Benchmark Scores to be updated soon
I just got a 4K tv in April and the Xbox one x and my pc so it’s like whatever I give up. Just brought a new phone with 1440p I wait till 20k lol

My monitor is rocking only 4ms of input lag, what about your OLED that cost you four, five ten times as much?

Oh really? Tell me more about how on many games do you need 4ms of input lag? twitch shooters? competitive multiplayer? nice, high refresh monitors are targeted for those ones, but anything else is way better on an Oled TV with HDR. 18ms input lag won´t bother you at all, won´t make you play worse on those games.

But yeah keep enjoying your 4ms input lag monitor on single player non competitive games with backlight bleed, glow, crappy colours, inexistant 700:1 contrast ratio aka Fog window.

Oh really? Tell me more about how on many games do you need 4ms of input lag? twitch shooters? competitive multiplayer? nice, high refresh monitors are targeted for those ones, but anything else is way better on an Oled TV with HDR. 18ms input lag won´t bother you at all, won´t make you play worse on those games.

But yeah keep enjoying your 4ms input lag monitor on single player non competitive games with backlight bleed, glow, crappy colours, inexistant 700:1 contrast ratio aka Fog window.
TVs have been dropping their input lag every year while still offering a much superior picture quality vs PC monitors. We went from average of 40ms in 2015 to 20ms 2017 because TV makers finally realized how big the gaming market is compared to home cinema. It will not be surprising if they reach sub 10ms in the coming years.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
TVs have been dropping their input lag every year while still offering a much superior picture quality vs PC monitors. We went from average of 40ms in 2015 to 20ms 2017 because TV makers finally realized how big the gaming market is compared to home cinema. It will not be surprising if they reach sub 10ms in the coming years.
not too concerned with input lag so much as text on screen. TV's have had terrible text on screen in the past. Is that no longer the case? Because a 50" 4k TV is dang cheap these days, far more so than 4k PC monitors.

System Name Darkside
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard Aorus Elite X570
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx l240
Memory Thermaltake Toughram DDR4 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX Vega 64 Gaming OC
Storage ADATA & WD 500GB NVME PCIe 3.0, many WD Black 1-3TB HD
Display(s) Samsung C27JG5x
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XL
Audio Device(s) iFi xDSD / micro iTube2 / micro iCAN SE
Power Supply EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Benchmark Scores Not sure, don't care
" The cable ensures high- bandwidth dependent features are delivered including uncompressed 8K video with HDR. It features exceptionally low EMI (electro-magnetic interference) which reduces interference with nearby wireless devices. The cable is backwards compatible and can be used with the existing installed base of HDMI devices. "

Must use the same magical tech that USB3 cables use. :p

While I completely understand the need for better materials to ensure consistent, uninhibited signal flow (like CAT-5 vs CAT-6), this will only give 3rd party vendors a reason to charge a premium for these cables, slapping on star-bursts and bullet points on how superior they are to their predecessor. Unless the pin configurations have changed (looking around at the available data, it hasn't), any good quality HDMI cable should work. :cool:

Pipe down dickhead. No one I know uses a TV for competitive PC gaming. TVs have their place, and it isn't on a desk two feet from your face.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
That's exactly why they changed to digital: encourage everyone to replace their TVs every few years instead of every decade.
How does that have literally anything to do with digital vs analog in display tech? That's complete nonsense.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

yeah ok, come back when you have a clue and can have a conversation like an adult instead of some 4chan kid.

iO

Processor R7 5700x
Motherboard MSI B450i Gaming
Cooling Accelero Mono CPU Edition
Memory 16 GB VLP
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6700 XT
Storage P34A80 512GB
Display(s) LG 27UM67 UHD
Case none
Power Supply SS G-650
Finally a HDMI spec that isnt already outdated before its release.
But this wont get adopted anytime soon..

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64

My benq VA panel has 3000:1 static contrast, actually registers more in reviews.

Not sure where you are getting the idea that all monitors are crap, and that HDMI is good for even TV signal. It's in general a shitty standard.

Pipe down dickhead. No one I know uses a TV for competitive PC gaming. TVs have their place, and it isn't on a desk two feet from your face.

How 'bout we keep the namecalling out of this?