• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD to Unlock Professional Features for Radeon VII to Blunt RTX 2080's Ray-tracing Edge

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I'm sure that somebody is happy to get 4 TFLOPS of double precision compute power. That won't be gamers though.
so what do you think of Nvidias double precision then at 1/32th on 2080 , that would'nt be in the T range, and your arguments moot 4Tflops DP makes it the fastest consumer card on the market for DP afaik.

at least there is more then two apps that use DP, eh.

Generation Fermi of Quadro 5000 and 6000 cards could enable ECC mode and lose 12.5% of memory space in the same time.
If the cards prove to be stable in professional production then they will be very popular with pro people that are used to pay a lot for their cards.

I won't complain about more features, especially since they only need a software update, but as someone pointed out in another thread, this card has a serious identity crisis. Adding more pro-level features to a supposedly consumer product won't help clearing that out.
I don't really think we can speak of consumer product for $700 which is 2nd tier only in the GPU list.

Meanwhile, in an AI lab somewhere, scientists are playing network Doom on some Radeon Instinct accelerator cards.
Meanwhile, in an AI lab somewhere, scientists are checking whether Radeon Instinct / VII supports CUDA. No, it doesn't.
Nice move imho. They can place Radeon 7 as a successor of Vega FE which was costing over $1000 when launched. And at 30% more performance with 30% less money, the VFM is strong there for whoever needs it.
With the tiny issue that Radeon VII is not a card for professional use. And this move by AMD doesn't change much.
Do you really don't know why they do it?
It's meant to attract this very specific kind of customer... who will be so amazed by the "pro features", that he'll buy this for gaming. We have lots of candidates on this forum :)

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Meanwhile, in an AI lab somewhere, scientists are checking whether Radeon Instinct / VII supports CUDA. No, it doesn't.

With the tiny issue that Radeon VII is not a card for professional use. And this move by AMD doesn't change much.
It's meant to attract this very specific kind of customer... who will be so amazed by the "pro features", that he'll buy this for gaming. We have lots of candidates on this forum :)
You seam blinded to it's use cases and veiled in green why argue with you eh ,you still got that 1050 ti?

You seam blinded to it's use cases and veiled in green why argue with you eh ,you still got that 1050 ti?
Man, and when I almost believed you've grown up or found the pills. What's wrong with you?

We're discussing professional use of GPUs and you're still using the argument of what I own (the same one for almost a year).

As for use cases: I'm answering to a particular post that mentions AI. And the case of AI is pretty simple. CUDA dominated it. There's really no point in getting a Radeon.

Low quality post by eidairaman1

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Useless post above

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
I don't think it has ECC, as @xkm1948 has mentioned. That makes it unsuitable for some specific tasks. The Titan Volta card had this issue as well (I think). ECC is what makes the actual compute cards, specifically suited to those workloads.

Yep.

You cannot publish in good journals, or use in biomedical research without stating the computation hardware has ECC support. It is not black and white and seriously frowned upon. Well at least in the field of genomics/epigenomics research that I work in.

I dont get it why one specific member is constantly down voting you for stating a fact.

In scientific research CUDA absolutely DOMINATES. Scientists are there to solve medical problems, not spending days after days to make the software work.

Take a look at NCBI Pubmed publication with "CUDA" in keywords as it partially reflects the amount of work done/developed with CUDA:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=cuda

711 biology related publications

Purely just OpenCL

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=(opencl) NOT cuda

58 publications.

In my specific department, literally NO ONE buys AMD GPU for professional work, which inlcudes but not limited to protein docking simulation and genome alignment.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Man, and when I almost believed you've grown up or found the pills. What's wrong with you?

We're discussing professional use of GPUs and you're still using the argument of what I own (the same one for almost a year).

As for use cases: I'm answering to a particular post that mentions AI. And the case of AI is pretty simple. CUDA dominated it. There's really no point in getting a Radeon.
Yes it might Have, but the pricing pushed customers to make their own (google =Tensor(1st)$$$$$), and AMDs take on it with vII is capable of 8bit Rpm im sure i read 4bit too(think 64bit register how many 8bit ops fit in ,packed, think AI quadratics now possible easier,accelerated) , that's a lot of math in a 64bit wavefront(stream processor) and a potent Ai tool.

Point , price.

Last edited:
I dont get it why one specific member is constantly down voting you for stating a fact.
I though that's pretty obvious. Because he probably has no knowledge of the topic at hand. And because what I say (be it true or not) hurts his feelings.

I don't expect gamers on a gaming-focused forum to know much about professional or scientific computing. It's shouldn't be important to them. And I'm not running around topics with gaming benchmarks saying "but in sucks in AI".
But as we touch other topics - computing, accelerating productivity software - why not simply be honest? :)
This is a community after all and last time I checked communities were about sharing knowledge and experience, not getting votes. If I cared about votes, I'd be active on Instagram or Tinder instead. ;-)

Yes it might Have, but the pricing pushed customers to make their own , and AMDs tske on it with vII is capable of 8bit Rpm im sure i read 4bit too , that's a lot of math in a 64bit wavefront(stream processor) and a potent Ai tool.

Point , price.
You don't understand costs and software development more than I understand your quasi-English.
As far as computing goes, Nvidia GPUs cost more to buy, but they cost less to use. That's the whole story.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
I though that's pretty obvious. Because he probably has no knowledge of the topic at hand. And because what I say (be it true or not) hurts his feelings.

I don't expect gamers on a gaming-focused forum to know much about professional or scientific computing. It's shouldn't be important to them. And I'm not running around topics with gaming benchmarks saying "but in sucks in AI".
But as we touch other topics - computing, accelerating productivity software - why not simply be honest? :)
This is a community after all and last time I checked communities were about sharing knowledge and experience, not getting votes. If I cared about votes, I'd be active on Instagram or Tinder instead. ;-)

You don't understand costs and software development more than I understand your quasi-English.
As far as computing goes, Nvidia GPUs cost more to buy, but they cost less to use. That's the whole story.
Your opinion is not mine, deal with it , not once have you not spoken bullshit ,not once have you replied when I rectified your alarming lack of knowledge of Rpm

And the irony I've been running scientific research flat out for years.

And I can show equally impressive amounts of scientific (legit) work done on Amd hardware, its like opencl and vulkan don't exist as does reallity.

AI does not need ecc.

I fully understand where ecc is and is not needed in scientific research , same goes for precision and im not arguing against some things being beyond Radeon VII but im not dillusional in the opposite direction either .

And as for the GPU, I put my money where my mouth was.. and used it to do scientific research most of the time with slight bouts of gaming , i except im a minority but im not in the minority of people who mouth off without buying their revered brand and doing something with it ??.

your on here saying i cant use my vega 64 or a VII for pro uses yet i think i still will , im not getting a VII though , no money, tut.:)

Last edited:
System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
amd bashed in reviews for releasing a compute oriented card against geforce rtx,adds more compute to "blunt the rtx's edge".
makes sense to some apparently.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Nice move imho. They can place Radeon 7 as a successor of Vega FE which was costing over $1000 when launched. And at 30% more performance with 30% less money, the VFM is strong there for whoever needs it.
This is something AMD should have done back at CES.
This card made no sense without Pro Drivers support.

This is something AMD should have done back at CES.
This card made no sense without Pro Drivers support.
It still makes no sense.
Performance is there and now so are the features (at least some). But this is still not a workstation GPU.
Maybe it would make sense plugged into a server, but clearly not in a desktop.

Also, it still lacks pro support and stuff. I don't think any serious IT department would allow this into an office. There are policies for such things.

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Also, it still lacks pro support and stuff. I don't think any serious IT department would allow this into an office. There are policies for such things.
That is what Quadros / Radeon Pro cards are for.
I doubt there are many non-nVidia or non-Intel hardware at big corporations' IT deprartments anyway.
The fact that those require no explaination to your boss when something goes wrong etc.
IT department is often the first to go when there are lay-offs, so I doubt many would take the "risks" either way.

I am thinking more from the hobbiest / Freelancer point of view.

Funny how Nvidia got bashed by some people, when they unlocked certain pro features in Titan Xp.

"Its an evil company, crippling the GPUs deliberately...", " I will never buy Nvidia again..."

Now, AMD does the same thing, and everyone applauds. Go figure...

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Funny how Nvidia got bashed by some people, when they unlocked certain pro features in Titan Xp.

"Its an evil company, crippling the GPUs deliberately...", " I will never buy Nvidia again..."

Now, AMD does the same thing, and everyone applauds. Go figure...
Funny? It's not even surprising. At least not to me.

Its a 1080ti rival.

Bitter much, don't be a r3+@#

I've had enough with the people of trying to justify that amd performs better at this price point. People are so fucking dumb to remember things nowadays, a few months ago, they criticized nvidia over and over and over again about it's price to performance ratio, now this gpu comes along and all the fanboys are loving it. this is pure and utter bullshit. nvidia brought many different innovations to the market, I wonder what amd accomplished in last 2 years? don't get me started on the 7nm process and hbm2, both are not the technologies of amd. (7nm TSMC, HBM2 Samsung)

This is not a gaming card, if you want to compare this to something else, compare it to Quadro because it has a repurposed chip from MI50 with ECC memory. AMD is losing money just to compete with nvidia and investors soon be aware of it. If and when I get one of these cards, I'll be using on testing my ROCm platform, till then, this card is just a compute card, like all other amd cards, they all have brute force performance with extreme power consumption.

All of the amd processors, since the beginning of their time, consumed much more power compared to innovative companies. they must realize that this needs to stop somewhere.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
it's what amd is capable of delivering at the moment,unimpressive but kicking it won't change much,they have nothing left in the tank to impress us .anyone who saw how pascal massacred vega in high end should've seen it coming with the introduction of a more advanced turing,though tbh the way this card clocks at 7nm is absolutely pathetic and I think everyone expected more.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
it's what amd is capable of delivering at the moment,unimpressive but kicking it won't change much,they have nothing left in the tank to impress us .anyone who saw how pascal massacred vega in high end should've seen it coming with the introduction of a more advanced turing,though tbh the way this card clocks at 7nm is absolutely pathetic and I think everyone expected more.

I am fine with what AMD can offer. I guess the majority of people are simply annoyed but the mental gymastics some crazed AMD fans are performing right now to spin a not-so-desirable product into a win.