• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maps, science, data & statistics tracking of COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize that nCoV also has the knock on effect of overwhelming the healthcare system, besides leading to secondary diseases like pneumonia?
Flu does the same thing. Your point?

Hell, this year alone FLU is more deadly;
Keep in mind, these numbers and the numbers above are ONLY for the US. Let that sink in.
They don't know that yet. Here in my country they have 1700+ cases tested and 42 killed. that is 2.5% which is much more than the "normal" flu. Only there are so many more people who have not been tested because of mild symptoms, the estimate here is around 12,000+ and then you suddenly come to 0.3% which is comparable to the flu.
Exactly. And everywhere in the world is following the same methodology. Those with mild symptoms will recover as their immune system can adapt and handle the virus.

Something else that should be noted, observation is showing that people with COVID19 are not staying contagious. Once their immune system adapts, they are non-contagious 24 to 36 hours later.

Last edited:
I'm giving you a conservative estimate, the 100 million doesn't even come close to the absolute worst case scenario especially if this thing mutates quickly. You can easily calculate how bad it can get when the number of cases are doubling 2-5 days in different places around the world.

As for the Flu, you do realize it's treatable in most cases don't you? Why are you drawing a false equivalence with nCoV :rolleyes:
Exactly. And everywhere in the world is following the same methodology. Those with mild symptoms will recover as their immune system can adapt and handle the virus.

Something else that should be noted, observation is showing that people with COVID19 are not staying contagious. Once their immune system adapts, they are non-contagious 24 to 36 hours later.
I've already accounted for the vast under-reporting, otherwise if you see only confirmed cases the mortality rate is at least 20x higher than influenza.
There's no solid evidence as yet that once infected you'll not get the disease a second time, there's nothing confirming this theory.

Last edited:
I'm giving you a conservative estimate
Thanks for the input. I think we should all look at the real world numbers instead of taking the word of some random internet user.
the 100 million doesn't even come close to the absolute worst case scenario especially if this thing mutates quickly.
There is no evidence that there has been any mutation at all, or indications that such is likely.
You can easily calculate how bad it can get when the number of cases are doubling 2-5 days in different places around the world.
Yes and then when we compare that data to worldwide FLU data and the bigger picture comes clearly into focus.
Why are you drawing a false equivalence with nCoV :rolleyes:
I'm not the one failing to see what is obvious. :rolleyes::slap:

I've already accounted for the vast under-reporting, otherwise if you see only confirmed cases the mortality rate is at least 20x higher than influenza.
That is not a credible source of data. Please cite a source of data that has credibility.
There's no solid evidence as yet that once infected you'll not get the disease a second time, there's nothing confirming this theory.
The same can be same of the FLU. You seem to be trolling. Please stop.

The whole point of this thread and the information provided within is to help people understand the reality of this "threat". The raw numbers and real world data are all that is needed to understand.

Last edited:
I think we should all look at the real world numbers instead of taking the word of some random internet user.
The numbers are right there in front of you, no need to take the word of any stranger.
There is no evidence that there has been any mutation at all, or indications that such is likely.
It doesn't need a mutation to infect over 100 million, it's doing a swell job as it is. Again the R0 is about 3, which as experts have said is roughly 2x as contagious as influenza!
Yes and then when we compare that data to worldwide FLU data and the bigger picture comes clearly into focus.
Didn't realize the FLU could infect up to 70% of the world population in a relatively short span. Yes that's what the numbers Canada & Germany have put up for their (nationwide) infections, you sure they aren't cuckoo too?
I'm not the one failing to see what is obvious.
:rolleyes:
:slap:
Which is? I'm dying to know what you're implying o_O
That is not a credible source of data. Please cite a source of data that has credibility.
Does MS sound credible to you? No then I guess you'll have to find a more "credible source" yourself :rolleyes:
The same can be same of the FLU. You seem to be trolling. Please stop.
Oh so you conveniently skipped over the part that Flu can be treated as of now, how naive of me to think you were being objective!

Last edited:
Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
I'm so done with this. Please God take me
Sorry brother, stick with it. I'm in Redmond if you wanna stop by for a Red Chair, or a chat.
Speaking of Redmond, we are a major spoke off of Sea-Tac, PDX, and SFO. LAX is there too, but not nearly as much as the others mentioned. Right now, we have about 10% of the total infections for Oregon, with 6.

I am really suprised our totals are not higher. Maybe because of "light symptoms," folks aren't going to the hospital to get checked out. In reality, that is good, because the only real problem we (humanity) are going to face is a shortage of hospital facilities capable of keeping people alive long enough to get over it. That brings me to the next point...if we keep up a disciplined social distancing practice, we will be able let the really sick folks trickle in over a few months, instead of blasting the system in a few weeks.

I wish I could stop by TPU a bit more often. You guys were my first online community. Thanks for being here

And please, if you need to call for help, because of things outside of your control, someone will be there. You don't have to be sick to need help.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Going to put this here and extract a few quotes. This source is the European Centre for Disease Control.

Take aways:

1 - it's not the flu.

While the viruses that cause both COVID-19 and seasonal influenza are transmitted from person-to-person and may cause similar symptoms, the two viruses are very different and do not behave in the same way. ECDC estimates that between 15 000 and 75 000 people die prematurely due to causes associated with seasonal influenza each year in the EU, the UK, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. This is approximately 1 in every 1 000 people who are infected. By comparison, the current estimated mortality rate for COVID-19 is 20-30 per 1 000 people.

2 - it has a higher mortality rate.

Preliminary findings indicate that the mortality rate for COVID-19 is 20-30 per thousand people diagnosed. This is significantly less than the 2003 SARS outbreak. However, it is much higher than the mortality rate for seasonal influenza.

3 - As humans have no immunity built up for it, it has the potential to infect every human on the planet.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

Just a quick note here, Lex: There's already been more than one confirmed cases of re-infection.

Oh so you conveniently skipped over the part that Flu can be treated as of now, how naive of me to think you were being objective!

The treatment for COVID19 is basically the same as for the flu, which is rest, plenty of fluids and isolation from others. Just like the flu, serious cases can result in serious complications, but it appears that the complications for the ones more vulnerable to respiratory illnesses can be much more severe.

There's a Reddit AMA with 4 Swiss scientists here that had tons of information. I recommend those serious about their concerns (or lack thereof) check out the AMA. thanks, and keep it civil please.

System Name schweinestalle
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
Motherboard Asus Prime - Pro X 570 + Asus PCI -E AC68 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter
Cooling Standard Air
Memory Kingston HyperX 2 x 16 gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8 GB Strix
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Display(s) Asus XG 32 V ROG
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Audio Device(s) Realtech standard
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular
Mouse CM Havoc
Keyboard Corsair Cherry Mechanical
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Unigine_Superposition 4K ultra 7582
Here is an info-graphic of contact tracing for all Covid 19 infection people in my place here in Singapore. Quite an impressive feat of police work here.

geezuz that is a impressive stats sheet

1 - it's not the flu.
I never said it was. I'm using the flu as an example because of how similar the symptoms are.
2 - it has a higher mortality rate.
Evidence? So far the CONFIRMED numbers on offer do not fully support that statement.
3 - As humans have no immunity built up for it, it has the potential to infect every human on the planet.
And how is that any different from new strains of the common cold or flu? The human immune system has evolved to be very adaptable. Greatly more people are recovering than dying.
Just a quick note here, Lex: There's already been more than one confirmed cases of re-infection.
Ok. I never said that wasn't possible, didn't even imply it. In fact I said...
The same can be same of the FLU.
...because everyone has had or will have the flu more than once. So not only are secondary cases of COVID19 very possible, such is entirely likely. That doesn't make it anymore or less serious than a cold or the flu.

My point is that all of the panic, over-reactions and doomsaying is very much-ado-about-nothing. Something new has popped up. It happens, it's always happened and it's always going to happen. The big difference between now and decades/centuries past is simple; Medical knowledge and technology. The social panic and the unrest being displayed by supposedly civilized people is unwarranted. Factual information and reasonable perspective are all that is needed to realize that this too shall pass as it always has and always will.

System Name Minotaur
Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2800Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3167,Cinebench R20=7490.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
Evidence? So far the CONFIRMED numbers on offer do not fully support that statement.
Well...We can not be sure just yet but when I saw how many of those basketball players have Covid-19 without any symptoms it does make you wonder what is actual number of infected people I was always under impression that is probably around 10x more then what we know and even with those numbers I believe that death rate was still way higher than common flu but there is a possibility that the number of "infected"people is even much higher then those predictions.....

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
I never said it was. I'm using the flu as an example because of how similar the symptoms are.

And how is that any different from new strains of the common cold or flu? The human immune system has evolved to be very adaptable. Greatly more people are recovering than dying.

Ok. I never said that wasn't possible, didn't even imply it. In fact I said...

...because everyone has had or will have the flu more than once. So not only are secondary cases of COVID19 very possible, such is entirely likely. That doesn't make it anymore or less serious than a cold or the flu.

My point is that all of the panic, over-reactions and doomsaying is very much-ado-about-nothing. Something new has popped up. It happens, it's always happened and it's always going to happen. The big difference between now and decades/centuries past is simple; Medical knowledge and technology. The social panic and the unrest being displayed by supposedly civilized people is unwarranted. Factual information and reasonable perspective are all that is needed to realize that this too shall pass as it always has and always will.

I hear you, I do.

But UK data analysis based on Italian rates of transmission and mortality put the UK death rate at 250,000 by August 2020. That's why we moved to suppression. But yes, absolutely, people panicking and buying massive stockpiles is a human disgrace. I think we're both agreeing but speaking a slightly different dialect. Ye ken?

Well...We can not be sure just yet but when I saw how many of those basketball players have Covid-19 without any symptoms it does make you wonder what is actual number of infected people I was always under impression that is probably around 10x more then what we know and even with those numbers I believe that death rate was higher than common flu but there is a possibility that the number of "infected"people is even much higher then those predictions.....
Exactly. The real numbers are not known because the instances of people who either have it and are unaware because the symptoms are so mild, or because the symptoms are mild enough that they don't feel the need to report it, perhaps because they believe they have something else.

The reality is this; Of the known numbers, the morality rate is somewhat higher than the flu. Of the estimated numbers, the mortality rate is on par with the flu.

So why all the nonsense? People, companies and governments are pressing the panic button over something that is little more serious than that of the common flu.
But UK data analysis based on Italian rates of transmission and mortality put the UK death rate at 250,000 by August 2020.
I'm not buying that. Italy is an outlier, an exception rather than the rule. Most of the rest of the world(including the British commonwealth) is not getting hit that hard. This suggests strongly that there is something unique about that region/populous that make them more vulnerable. The rest of the world's populous however is reacting medically on a level that would be expected of a seasonal illness, such as the aforementioned flu.
That's why we moved to suppression.
But that's my point, isolation is not the solution. The virus is already out there(the horse has bolted and been gone for a long while). The best course of action is prevention on a local level. Teaching people proper preventive personal hygine, the use of face masks and gloves, environmental sanitation and so on. These are the actions that will have the best effect for the general populous.
But yes, absolutely, people panicking and buying massive stockpiles is a human disgrace. I think we're both agreeing but speaking a slightly different dialect. Ye ken?
Yes, but social, economic and education event cancellations are an equally disgusting disgrace as well. It's sheer stupidity and ignorance. The virus is already out there. What are we going to do, cancel the whole damn planet? Yes, let's trash our entire civilization and see how safe everyone is afterwards...

EDIT; Rant over. Frustration vented...

System Name Minotaur
Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2800Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3167,Cinebench R20=7490.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
Exactly. The real numbers are not known because the instances of people who either have it and are unaware because the symptoms are so mild, or because the symptoms are mild enough that they don't feel the need to report it, perhaps because they believe they have something else.

The reality is this; Of the known numbers, the morality rate is somewhat higher than the flu. Of the estimated numbers, the mortality rate is on par with the flu.

So why all the nonsense? People, companies and governments are pressing the panic button over something that is little more serious than that of the common flu.
As always it could be some agenda behind all of this....As we saw in many countries governments bring easily some laws that in normal/regular conditions is impossible to implement also things that worry's me the most is how many people are going to lose their jobs because of this and how are they going to pay their taxes/credits/bills/food,and there are migrants in EU that now barely anyone talk about and their numbers still rising each day.....Well we can only just speculate about all of this atm. and I am afraid that this is not the right topic for it.....

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
And how is that any different from new strains of the common cold or flu?
How is it different? We are able to immunize vast swaths of the public against influenza. And despite the fact that the strain immunized for mutates as it travels the globe, the immunizations are able to at least weaken any infection most people get because the mutations still share many structural similarities with the immunized-for strain. This is why anti-viral drugs like Tami-flu have great success if administered early. We are also able to have high risk people get a pneumonia vaccine, which lessens their risk as well.

With COVID-19 there is no vaccine, so there is no way to even partially help people’s bodies prepare for it. And it does not actually cause pneumonia in people’s lungs like influenza does. It actually attacks the lung lining directly in a manner like shoving ground glass into the lungs, literally tearing the tissue. With no defense, the only deterrent to its spread is to be distant from each other.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

I'm not buying that. Italy is an outlier, an exception rather than the rule.

The problem with your reasoning is that you are switching cause and effect around happily and then draw your own conclusions.

Italy is an exceptional case. The reasons for that are evident though: they underestimated and did not respond in time. This 'disgrace' you speak of which is a partial shutdown of public and social life, and it is partial, a whole lot of things are still working as planned, is the reason many other countries are not mimicking Italy.

So Italy being the exception only underlines the need for what is happening now around the globe. The fact that all these governments do this, despite differences in ideology or type of government/state, should tell you enough. This is real, and the effects of dampening the infection rate as much as possible are real too. Here in Netherlands we have an extremely transparent government when it comes to this crisis, every decision is explained in how it was weighed and people give interviews on it daily; the info we get, I have no reason to believe is false or overly panicky. It is very fact based and I am very pleased to see this, honestly..

Also another issue and hidden corpse is that less developed countries have a grossly inaccurate count, and you can rest assured there is a serious number of deaths and infected over there that is completely invisible to us, and might remain so. Immigrants were mentioned, but that's just a tiny tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6GV2
Storage Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB | Seagate ST1000LM024 1TB | WD My Passport Slim 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 24" 144hz IPS
Case Montech Air ARGB
Audio Device(s) Massdrop + Sennheiser PC37X | QKZ x HBB
Power Supply Corsair CX650-F
Mouse Razer Viper Mini | Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 | Logitech G402
Keyboard Drop + The Lord of the Rings Dwarvish
Software Windows 10 Education 22H2 x64
Supposedly 14 infected and 1 death in the country. Don't believe the numbers for a moment.
Loads of workers coming back from abroad and giving the middle finger to self-quarantine. People near/close to them from around the country are posting that they are scared of their in facebook.

Then there was another case where people actually gathered in a hospital suspected of having a covid-19 patient, to sate their curiosity. Fucking lol.

Oh and there's this: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...-testing-negative-for-COVID-19/7711584456914/

Oh and here's this too: https://philnews.ph/2020/03/18/covid-19-cases-100000-in-3-months-12-days-to-for-another-100000/

Since you don’t think it’s not that deadly you should sign up for a ncov vaccine trial if anyone in your country is offering. Free monies. Make the most of the downturn in the economy. @lexluthermiester

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Well...We can not be sure just yet but when I saw how many of those basketball players have Covid-19 without any symptoms it does make you wonder what is actual number of infected people I was always under impression that is probably around 10x more then what we know and even with those numbers I believe that death rate was still way higher than common flu but there is a possibility that the number of "infected"people is even much higher then those predictions.....

I'm not buying that. Italy is an outlier, an exception rather than the rule. Most of the rest of the world(including the British commonwealth) is not getting hit that hard. This suggests strongly that there is something unique about that region/populous that make them more vulnerable. The rest of the world's populous however is reacting medically on a level that would be expected of a seasonal illness, such as the aforementioned flu.

But that's my point, isolation is not the solution. The virus is already out there(the horse has bolted and been gone for a long while). The best course of action is prevention on a local level. Teaching people proper preventive personal hygine, the use of face masks and gloves, environmental sanitation and so on. These are the actions that will have the best effect for the general populous.

Yes, but social, economic and education event cancellations are an equally disgusting disgrace as well. It's sheer stupidity and ignorance. The virus is already out there. What are we going to do, cancel the whole damn planet? Yes, let's trash our entire civilization and see how safe everyone is afterwards...

EDIT; Rant over. Frustration vented...

As always it could be some agenda behind all of this....As we saw in many countries governments bring easily some laws that in normal/regular conditions is impossible to implement also things that worry's me the most is how many people are going to lose their jobs because of this and how are they going to pay their taxes/credits/bills/food,and there are migrants in EU that now barely anyone talk about and their numbers still rising each day.....Well we can only just speculate about all of this atm. and I am afraid that this is not the right topic for it.....

A few points...

Indeed, the real numbers are going to be far above and beyond what's actually reported. I've been sick with what I ascribe to be a mild form of even the common cold and still went to work. My energy level was slightly reduced, but I got through just fine. It's interesting that the symptoms can range anywhere from barely anything at all to death... I wouldn't expect it to vary so wildly.

Isolation won't make the virus go away. The point, again, is to attempt to curb the number of infected individuals who are going to need health care if/whenthey catch it so they can get the care they need. The system can't deal with entire populations infected at once.

The economic fallout is as worrisome as the virus itself, perhaps moreso... but it's not really something that can be avoided. The governments of the world have decided that it's better to deal with the consequences of attempting to slow this thing down than it is to just do business as usual while the virus does what it does. I've heard of our government here supposedly helping people out, but I can't confirm it personally. I heard something on the radio about tax breaks or even checks here in the US, but I don't remember the limited details I heard of at the time, or who it even applies to... o_O

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Reuters finally built a full page for the SVG time lapse along with lots of other metrics tracking how it is unfolding:
This link will likely be relevant until it passes so if you really want to track it, bookmark/favorite it.

Global fatality rate is 4.26%.

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
@the54thvoid

This is turning into the other CoVID thread already simply because it shows up in the browsed thread. The content is 100% off top topic now. Can we get this merged with the other CoVID19 thread?

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
@the54thvoid

This is turning into the other CoVID thread already simply because it shows up in the browsed thread. The content is 100% off top topic now. Can we get this merged with the other CoVID19 thread?

I'm going to give this thread a chance. If I submit to defeat again, I may as well hand in my hall pass.

However, I have free-reign in this world (Sci & Tech is my mod sub-forum) so all folks take note - Stay dead centre on topic and keep opinions based on fact from reputable sources. Of note, if the publication isn't from this century, it's likely not relevant.

I suggest everyone uses this site as an excellent starting point:

I've used it for years as a reference source to smack peopole about with good, hard evidence-based science.

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
@the54thvoid

FWIW, I appreciate your insight on the topic. While I don't understand all the genome jargon, the bits and pieces I do catch are of interest to me. I'm sure many of us feel the same.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Flu does the same thing. Your point?

Hell, this year alone FLU is more deadly;
Keep in mind, these numbers and the numbers above are ONLY for the US. Let that sink in.

You're focusing on the death toll: it's the forced hospitalization with assisted breathing you should be focusing on.

Have you ever heard of seasonal flu overwhelming hospitals to the extent they have in Italy, actually forcing doctors to CHOOSE who to give the assisted breathing to, thus effectively condemning to death those that are denied? That's why the death toll in Italy is so high.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
Have you ever heard of seasonal flu overwhelming hospitals to the extent they have in Italy, actually forcing doctors to CHOOSE who to give the assisted breathing to, thus effectively condemning to death those that are denied? That's why the death toll in Italy is so high.

No, but we have vaccines, and some level of natural immunity to the seasonal flu. I guess it's like the difference between getting shot with and without a bulletproof vest... bit of an odd analogy... but it seems to reflect the situation we're in.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
And why the rest of the world is taking extreme measures. There's not enough ventilators.

Italy has an almost 10% mortality rate.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Two weeks of isolation in Italy and they've still recorded their largest jump in fatalities. Over 400 (3000 total). Question is: on the bell curve, is this near the peak? If not... oh dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.