• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative Sound Blaster X3

Do you still have it on you? During my time with the card (around two months) they released two firmware upgrades and several driver updates. Perhaps that would resolve your issue. I have to say I didn't run into anything of the sort with my sample, it performed flawlessly.
No, I returned it. From Creative's last reply I gathered they would not be fixing this any time soon, whether due to inability to reproduce the problem, or due to lack of interest, or any other reason.

I made sure to use the latest version of their Command software, driver, and firmware. In fact Command automatically notified me of a new firmware version for both cards. If I recall correctly, both had version 1.2.x.x, and I updated them to 1.3.x.x.

I already own a Sound BlasterX AE-5, but I purchased the X3 to try and avoid some electrical interference I was hearing from my speakers when I turn them up (with nothing playing of course). I figured that USB might be cleaner than PCIe, and even if it wasn't, I could get a powered USB hub to bypass powering the X3 from the motherboard. But the issue I described was a deal-breaker.
Now I'm changing the motherboard, as I suspect to be the cause for the interference + it has some other issues.

Even though I didn't really need the X3, it is a very solid product. I am kind of saddened that do not get to keep it. I was surprised at how many features it has for the price, while having a great balance of flash and style in terms of looks. Plus it felt very well built.

If Creative were willing to send a free sample, I would've been prepared to try various other scenarios to get to the root of the issue, assuming it wasn't also batch-related, in addition to driver-related.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I actually have a bit of a story with this card. The short version: the card exhibited a random pop/crack/glitch during playback. The replacement was the same. With the help of Creative support, I narrowed it down to a driver problem, as it disappeared after I installed the generic Windows Audio Class 2.0 driver. With it, the card worked only in stereo mode, even though 5.1 appeared in the configuration window. Both cards exhibited the same issue on both of my computers, which are completely different hardware-wise, and have few programs that overlap. I provided Creative with detailed logs upon request, but was later informed that no fix was forthcoming.
Still the old Creative Labs then. Stuff like this is a frickin' priority for sound cards because so much of what's on the market works perfectly, or so close to perfectly that it's not an issue. Audio codecs are not a new science, the market is stagnant and everything on the market is super-dooper ultra mature at this point with only Microsoft to blame for occasional screwups.

Noted, and added back to the ignore list.

If Creative were willing to send a free sample, I would've been prepared to try various other scenarios to get to the root of the issue, assuming it wasn't also batch-related, in addition to driver-related.

This is it. I'm not paying Creative to beta-test Creative's products for Creative's benefits. I remeber providing so much information to Creative support when Windows Vista's Universal Audio Architecture completely broke soundcard features. I was using beta drivers and early releases of ALChemy to get EAX and DirectSound to work again and they just took and took and took and never really gave me a working product.

The Universal Audio Architecture wasn't a surprise announcement in 2007, it was included in Windows 2000 and WinXP from 2002 and Vista's launch was the ultimate hard deadline. Creative didn't even start working on ALChemy until 2007 and it was in a barely-usable state with missing 64-bit support for a year or so after that. As an SB16, AWE32, Live!, and X-Fi customer I threw in the towel in absolute disgust. There were other products on the market at that point with working software and the features I needed.

Last edited:
Noted, and added back to the ignore list.
I short disclaimer: I'm not recommending or suggesting that people avoid this or other Creative products. I was simply sharing my experience, which could be an isolated issue.

I'm quite happy with the AE-5 I'm using currently. I'm assuming the interference I'm hearing from my speakers isn't actually coming from the sound card, but from my motherboard, as I hear some slight buzzing coming the socket area, although I'm not entirely certain what the exact source is, as it is somewhat quiet and the CPU cooler is in the way. Point is, my theory is that the board has some issues (whether it's the entire series, a particular batch, or just this specific board, I don't know, but assume the last one), which is why it is getting replaced with a B550 one.

I was also happy with my previous Sound Blaster Z. I've never had any issues with its drivers on Windows 10. I decided to sell it after I saw how it actually measured.

System Name Unreal Machine IV
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Cooling Noctua U9S
Memory Team UD4-4000 @4000 CL18 1:1
Video Card(s) 5600XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston SSD 240GB + WD RED 4TB + WD Blue SN 550 Nvme 1TB X3
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Case Old school Termalthake xaser III black with lots of noctua 80mm fans
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech G502 hero SE
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
I short disclaimer: I'm not recommending or suggesting that people avoid this or other Creative products. I was simply sharing my experience, which could be an isolated issue.

I'm quite happy with the AE-5 I'm using currently. I'm assuming the interference I'm hearing from my speakers isn't actually coming from the sound card, but from my motherboard, as I hear some slight buzzing coming the socket area, although I'm not entirely certain what the exact source is, as it is somewhat quiet and the CPU cooler is in the way. Point is, my theory is that the board has some issues (whether it's the entire series, a particular batch, or just this specific board, I don't know, but assume the last one), which is why it is getting replaced with a B550 one.

I was also happy with my previous Sound Blaster Z. I've never had any issues with its drivers on Windows 10. I decided to sell it after I saw how it actually measured.

Well, im getting white noise from my onboard audio device...
It only appears when idle though, still pretty annoying...

Besides Creative, is there any good 5.1 soundcard out there with solid/stable driver? Need 5.1 analog output (not those digital spdif/optical connections.)

Besides Creative, is there any good 5.1 soundcard out there with solid/stable driver? Need 5.1 analog output (not those digital spdif/optical connections.)
Well, besides Creative, there are only two options: EVGA and ASUS.

The EVGA NU Audio Pro (you will need the main card and its add-on) is supposedly quite decent based on Amir's measurements but it is also quite expensive. He dislikes its driver but he also dislikes Creative's drivers, so take that for what it's worth.

Then there is ASUS. Based on my experience and deductive skills, they do not do drivers in-house, instead they rely on C-Media for drivers, i.e. they rebrand C-Media's driver. At least for their USB cards, but I doubt it is different for their PCI or PCIe cards.
If you are going for ASUS, be sure to check if the driver control panel actually has bass redirection (if you need it for your 5.1 system), as they removed it in one of their updates for the U7 (whose drivers for Windows 10 have been a mess feature-wise), so who knows what features they are including or omitting in the drivers for their newer cards.

When it comes to sound cards, I tend to avoid ASUS for the reasons stated above.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
For what it's worth, my creative sound card lasted over 10 years before switching to pcie, i used custom drivers for a good part...

sauronc

Hi,
Does anyone know if the buttons can be remapped? Is it possible to swap the SXfi toggle with the SBX?

LaurK

Hello,
I have a 5.1 home cinema. When i listen to music the subwoofer doesn`t work. If i do a test from Sound blaster command every speaker works including subwoofer. On movies subwoofer works,but only when i want to listen to music, the subwoofer doesn`t work.

I did a test and i connected the wire from main speakers(RF/LF) to C/SUB from line out and only L front speaker works. So it`s obviously that line out (C/SUB) send signal only through one channel.

Maybe it`s all about software,i don`t know.

Hello,
I have a 5.1 home cinema. When i listen to music the subwoofer doesn`t work. If i do a test from Sound blaster command every speaker works including subwoofer. On movies subwoofer works,but only when i want to listen to music, the subwoofer doesn`t work.
Your songs are in stereo 2.0. Unless you do bass management (speakers small and crossover set), there will be no sound to your subwoofer. 5.1 movies are encoded with LFE channel, which is meant for subwoofer.

copieandpaste

I want to connect my Logitech z906 5.1 what would be better option to connect via analog or optical ? As far I know I will get 32bit/192kHz with analog and 24bit/192kHz with optical ?

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I want to connect my Logitech z906 5.1 what would be better option to connect via analog or optical ? As far I know I will get 32bit/192kHz with analog and 24bit/192kHz with optical ?
Optical if you can. Analogue will pick up all the subtle coil whine and other screechy beepy EMI noises from inside your PC. Having 32bit is almost entirely pointless as 99% of everything you'll ever use in surround mode is going to be 16-bit, maaaaybe 24-bit if you go out of your way to find it but just because Dolby standards now go up to 24-bit doesn't mean that there's much out there mastered at 24-bit.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
But this will require Dolby/DTS live encoding. Doesn't that increase the audio lag?
Sure, anything from 500ns to 2ms which should be completely undetectable by a mere mortal.

If you get more lag than that then there's something wrong with your soundcard/drivers/windows settings.

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
But this will require Dolby/DTS live encoding. Doesn't that increase the audio lag?
It does. Also can be affected by high CPU loads.
If you are playing games where audio delay affects gameplay or if you are playing highly CPU intensive games, I do not recommend using live encoding.
Sure, anything from 500ns to 2ms which should be completely undetectable by a mere mortal.

If you get more lag than that then there's something wrong with your soundcard/drivers/windows settings.
Dolby Digital and DTS formats require a buffer to process; and this time is limited by the format. This is the frame time.
for Dolby Digital it is 32 ms*2 and DTS it is 10ms*2.
*2, because this minimum time is for encoding and decoding.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
If you are playing games where audio delay affects gameplay or if you are playing highly CPU intensive games, I do not recommend using live encoding.

Dolby Digital and DTS formats require a buffer to process; and this time is limited by the format. This is the frame time.
for Dolby Digital it is 32 ms*2 and DTS it is 10ms*2.
*2, because this minimum time is for encoding and decoding.
Ah okay, but doesn't the player take that into account too? If Dolby Digital had a 64ms lag you'd have everyone complaining about lip-sync issues? Lip-sync is generally pretty obvious above 40ms.

System Name Dell Inspiron 7375
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Memory 16GB (total) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics
Storage SanDisk X600 SATA SSD 512GB
Display(s) BOE NV13FHM
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC3253 (Dell Labelling) ALC255 (Real name)
Ah okay, but doesn't the player take that into account too? If Dolby Digital had a 64ms lag you'd have everyone complaining about lip-sync issues? Lip-sync is generally pretty obvious above 40ms.
Yes it does. DDL is super for music/movies. I am using that right now.
But gaming cannot account for this.
(Google say they can correct this ("negative latency") on Stadia. I think, as Google usually says, this is total BS.)

Playing Assassin's Creed Origins, my quad core CPU is always at 100%.

copieandpaste

Optical if you can. Analogue will pick up all the subtle coil whine and other screechy beepy EMI noises from inside your PC. Having 32bit is almost entirely pointless as 99% of everything you'll ever use in surround mode is going to be 16-bit, maaaaybe 24-bit if you go out of your way to find it but just because Dolby standards now go up to 24-bit doesn't mean that there's much out there mastered at 24-bit.
I have tested both and there is no coil whine or any other noises from my pc. I can't hear either my housemates any difference between connections or disruptions whatsoever and the music and movies sound quite identical ...
This is mini itx i3-8100 pc used only for music and movies (projector)

Last edited:
System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
I'm looking to ditch my Sound Blaster ZxR, as i want to move away from PCI-E for my sound device.

What would be better though ?

The G6 or the X3 ?

Form factor wise i would prefer the G6.

I also don't need 7.1 as i'm only a headphone user (AKG K601)

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
I'm looking to ditch my Sound Blaster ZxR, as i want to move away from PCI-E for my sound device.

The G6 or the X3 ?

Irc, the G6 is more geared for gamers and headphone users...
The X3 would be more hi-fi and have 7.1 analog output...

The G6 or the X3 ?

Do you have a problem with that card?
In my case, sometimes windows doesn't recognize the card at startup, but I think that it is a physical problem with the PCI-E, since it happens more frequently on hot days. Sometimes I have to unplug the PC to fix it.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Cooling Noctua U9S
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Im running an older X-fi Fatal1ty pro I bought recently, working like a charm, almost as good as my old Fatal1ty champion...
They don't make 7.1 quality cards anymore...

Jascmu

I just returned the AE-5 plus and bought the X3 also for the same reason as this original post, i need 7.1 audio. Sure the G6 and the AE-5 offer a bit better sound, but I cannot figure for the life of me why no card manufactures offer proper discrete 7.1 sound anymore. I have to sacrifice quality for use of all my speakers. I have emailed Creative and they have no real response for me, hell when I asked about discrete 7.1 sound they didnt even offer up the X3 to me because I don't think their techs even know it does it lol

Anyways I have the X3 now and I love it. Sure there is a bit of loss in quality, but it really isnt that noticeable.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
I just returned the AE-5 plus and bought the X3 also for the same reason as this original post, i need 7.1 audio. Sure the G6 and the AE-5 offer a bit better sound, but I cannot figure for the life of me why no card manufactures offer proper discrete 7.1 sound anymore. I have to sacrifice quality for use of all my speakers. I have emailed Creative and they have no real response for me, hell when I asked about discrete 7.1 sound they didnt even offer up the X3 to me because I don't think their techs even know it does it lol

Anyways I have the X3 now and I love it. Sure there is a bit of loss in quality, but it really isnt that noticeable.
Not that I want to detract from your setup but I think 7.1 is dying off in the market. I bought a 5.1 setup specifically because so little media is actually made to use 7.1. Almost every surround sound standard used for TV, games, movies is 5.1 of some type. If they add more channels than 5.1, it's not for 7.1 audio, but for height channels like in Atmos.

I haven't experienced a 7.1 setup in ages now, but given how similar a properly setup 5.1 sounds it's no surprise that all of the major film publishers and streaming services and AV equipment manufacturers are focusing on 5.1 variants. I'd hang onto your X3 for as long as you can, I can't see 7.1 hardware going mainstream again any time soon.