• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X Cooling Requirements & Thermal Throttling

I'd argue thats an efficiency preset rather than an optimal one. But yeah, if anything AMD's communication definitely sucked on this.
You can always set your own PPT, TDC, EDC limits & most AMD boards will strictly enforce them. Intel users who claim that their locked chips are more efficient conveniently forget they're comparing locked (Intel) vs unlocked (AMD) chips. When restricted by ECO mode or some of these limits & undervolted, AMD chips can be anywhere between 10~80% more efficient (also depending on the workload) heck look at 7950x results! Not pointing fingers at you but poking holes in their theory that Intel's locked chips are more efficient :shadedshu:

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360, 13 x Lian Li P28
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 STRIX
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Acer X38S, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Topping DX9, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1600
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + Universal Blue
You can always set your own PPT, TDC, EDC limits & most AMD boards will strictly enforce them. Intel users who claim that their locked chips are more efficient conveniently forget they're comparing locked (Intel) vs unlocked (AMD) chips. When restricted by ECO mode or some of these limits & undervolted, AMD chips can be anywhere between 10~80% more efficient (also depending on the workload) heck look at 7950x results! Not pointing fingers at you but poking holes in their theory that Intel's locked chips are more efficient :shadedshu:

Of course. Perhaps poorly articulated by myself, but as with most chips there is a point where temperature/power/heat increases exponentially for further gains, it'd be nice if we could simply set a chip to operate on the optimal curve rather than us having to do it ourselves, and I really dislike the trend from vendors to go smacking up against that wall all the time with users having no simple options to dial them back.

If I was AMD personally, I'd have 3 modes, Xtreme, Optimal & Eco, with X class chips coming by default as the Extreme preset, and non X as Optimal, but it being a simple BIOS toggle to go between them.

As for Intel, it is disgusting how much extra power you use for those last few mhz. It'd be nice to see the same from them personally.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Ugh, that doesn't sound good. So the ability to throttle has been taken away completely?
Correct, this is intentional, because when dual manual OC you're setting a fixed clock and don't want the chip to mess with your clocks.

W1zzard, i'm curious - is there a dedicated page where you announce your up-n-coming reviews?
Before publishing? No.

When published, we have an RSS feed: https://www.techpowerup.com/rss/
or Twitter / Facebook / Linkedin

me too, i would love to see power usage in relations to which cooler used. Does lower frequency means lower power?
Yes it means lower power, it must. Good question indeed, let me see what I can do

direct die the measured power consumption dropped. If the software measurement is accurate to reality that means the IHS thickness is not only causing higher temps than needed, but also increasing power consumption.
Silicon that runs at lower temperature is more efficient, too, maybe that's what happened. I doubt the power sensors have that much thermal drift, still, that's part of the reason I do proper power measurements with test equipment and don't trust the in-chip power sensors.

Platform Thermal Throttle Ctrl
Just to clarify, that settings only lets you lower the throttle temp, not increase it. Default is 95°C, so you can go 90, 85 .., but not 100, 105 ..

@W1zzard What is the ambient temp for your testing lab?
Temps are based on delta T and normalized to 25°C.

If you sit outside in the cold, your CPU will run cooler at first, and then boost higher, back up to 95°C or as high as possible, given the clock limits, either way you will get more performance. If that's what you are asking ;)

Of course. Perhaps poorly articulated by myself, but as with most chips there is a point where temperature/power/heat increases exponentially for further gains, it'd be nice if we could simply set a chip to operate on the optimal curve rather than us having to do it ourselves, and I really dislike the trend from vendors to go smacking up against that wall all the time with users having no simple options to dial them back.

If I was AMD personally, I'd have 3 modes, Xtreme, Optimal & Eco, with X class chips coming by default as the Extreme preset, and non X as Optimal, but it being a simple BIOS toggle to go between them.

As for Intel, it is disgusting how much extra power you use for those last few mhz. It'd be nice to see the same from them personally.
Yeah heat is a big issue at my place & no way I'm running anything around 95C, I'd rather lose 10~15% performance & be able to run these 15-20C lower but that's just me!

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Wrong. And and this article proves it.

TechPowerup:

Our testing in this article shows that the performance losses are minimal, even when pairing the Ryzen 9 7950X flagship with an entry-level cooler that's running at slow fan speed settings. You can simply get started with whatever AM4 heatsink you have lying around and you'll be safe and almost get maximum performance. AMD was wise to make their new Socket AM5 compatible with AM4 coolers, so you have plenty of choice, also on the used market.

The biggest problem is probably psychological. For years we have been trained that "95°C is bad". This is no longer true. 95°C is the new 65°C
.”

TechPowerup is basically describing you.

And with the ability to run these at reduced watts - it’s minimal performance drop is astounding.

Temperature drops are fantastic. Nobody who owns these worries about temperature or cooling. Nobody.

Watch that video for proof. Very clear and easy to understand.
Except my beef isn't with the performance. It's with the power dissipated as heat. This is only a tiny bit less demanding than the 12900k, which was labeled right here on TPU as "Very high heat output / power usage".

Plus, the benchmarking here doesn't feel right. There are 4 productivity apps pitted against 4 games (but games are tested several times). So the most you can say is, if you're a gamer, you're good. Which you already knew, because high-res gaming isn't CPU limited anyway. If you buy this for productivity (and work in an office with these installed in several workstations), I'm pretty sure you won't want to run on air.

NB This isn't a critique of the review, it's just that, as it stands, whether you can do with air cooling or not seems to be dependent on your workload.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5600X@4.85 CO
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m S2H
Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Slim
Memory Patriot Viper 4400cl19 2x8@4000cl16 tight subs
Video Card(s) Asus 3060ti TUF OC
Storage WD blue 1TB nvme
Display(s) Lenovo G24-10 144Hz
Case Corsair D4000 Airflow
Power Supply EVGA GQ 650W
Software Windows 10 home 64
Benchmark Scores CB20 4710@4.7GHz Aida64 50.4ns 4.8GHz+4000cl15 tuned ram SOTTR 1080p low 263fps avg CPU game
Wow! Just wow! Awesome testing!

System Name Uzuki Toune
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 7700X (ASUS PBO 90C Mode)
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Frostspirit 140 White V3 ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR6000 CL36 Kingston (EXPO)(16GBx2)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050TI
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Crucial P2 + 480GB Samsung Evo 850 + 480GB Kingston A400
Display(s) Dell U2723QE + Philips 221V8 (Portrait)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-FI Forte + Onboard Realtek 4080 -> Creative Gigaworks T40II
Power Supply EVGA G+ 650W
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 (Work) & G103 (Play)
Keyboard iRocks K71M
Software Windows 11 Professional
Got my 7700X last week and have been setting up and testing for past few days. I just put my previous ID Cooling SE 224 XT on it, didn't want to buy a new cooler yet. Seeing it jump to 95C every now and then, and the fans ramping up noisily was unsettling at first, but hey I'm slowly getting used to it. I am now running ECO mode because I currently can't use its power to its full potential until I get a new GPU.

I will probably get a new quieter air cooler in the near future. The stock fans on this cooler is way too noisy at higher RPMs. If I'm gonna need to replace the fans, I might as well get a better tower so that the fans don't need to ramp up so much as well under normal loads.

Why not water/AIO? I used to run an 240mm AIO before switching to the SE 224 XT. Right after a year, which is the standard warranty for most things outside of EU, it started leaking. I got back from an outing one day, switched on my PC before heading to the bath so that its fully ready for me to use it. To my horror, after I came out of the bath, my PC casing was emitting smoke from the top exhaust fan and the room smelled of burnt plastic and electronics. I've got phobia towards using an AIO ever since. No please do not try to convince me that todays AIO are safer and better quality. It's a mental thing.

I don't know about phobias but I don't trust anything with water in it around electronics, that especially includes sugary stuff like Coke & Pepsi or tea o_O

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Got my 7700X last week and have been setting up and testing for past few days. I just put my previous ID Cooling SE 224 XT on it, didn't want to buy a new cooler yet. Seeing it jump to 95C every now and then, and the fans ramping up noisily was unsettling at first, but hey I'm slowly getting used to it. I am now running ECO mode because I currently can't use its power to its full potential until I get a new GPU.

I will probably get a new quieter air cooler in the near future. The stock fans on this cooler is way too noisy at higher RPMs. If I'm gonna need to replace the fans, I might as well get a better tower so that the fans don't need to ramp up so much as well under normal loads.

Why not water/AIO? I used to run an 240mm AIO before switching to the SE 224 XT. Right after a year, which is the standard warranty for most things outside of EU, it started leaking. I got back from an outing one day, switched on my PC before heading to the bath so that its fully ready for me to use it. To my horror, after I came out of the bath, my PC casing was emitting smoke from the top exhaust fan and the room smelled of burnt plastic and electronics. I've got phobia towards using an AIO ever since. No please do not try to convince me that todays AIO are safer and better quality. It's a mental thing.
Hm... maybe a custom water loop then? Only joking. :toast:

Anyway, how do you find the Eco mode? How did it improve the temperature? What about clock speeds?

Sorry for the thousand questions. So far, I haven't seen as much media coverage of Eco mode as I'd like to. :ohwell:

The frenzy around the 95°C load temperature of the processor had gotten so bad that some predicted that cheap air coolers could "start fires."
Well, this is what you get when you skip basic physics course in high school.

System Name Dirt Sheep | Silent Sheep
Processor i5-2400 | 13900K (-0.025mV offset)
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE | Gigabyte AERO Z690-G, bios F26 with "Instant 6 GHz" on
Cooling Scythe Katana Type 1 | Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Memory G-skill 2*8GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5 5200Mhz C40 @4000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 970GTX Mini | NV 1080TI FE (cap at 85%, 800mV)
Storage 2*SN850 1TB, 230S 4TB, 840EVO 128GB, WD green 2TB HDD, IronWolf 6TB, 2*HC550 18TB in RAID1
Display(s) LG 21` FHD W2261VP | Lenovo 27` 4K Qreator 27
Case Thermaltake V3 Black|Define 7 Solid, stock 3*14 fans+ 2*12 front&buttom+ out 1*8 (on expansion slot)
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or the screen speakers when I'm too lazy)
Power Supply Enermax Pro82+ 525W | Corsair RM650x (2021)
Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Benchmark Scores CB23 SC: i5-2400=641 | i9-13900k=2325-2281 MC: i5-2400=i9 13900k SC | i9-13900k=37240-35500
Very good and informative article but I'm missing a key element: noise.
Not a single word about it.

How do you set fan curve with reasonable noise output when you get 95 degree all time?

As someone who is sensitive to noise, I want to tweek and fine-tune noise to preformance. I can't see how it can be done on zen4 cpu's.
In this regard, zen4 is a step back from past platforms and might be the deciding factor when buying my new system.

This is a "design choice" that turn into desing-flaw, if no matter the workload it causing maximum noise and no, setting 40-60% max noise at 95 degree is out of the question as part of what I do is long rendering. I know that on those occasions I will need to cope wite max noise, but at other cases it`s a no-go.

I suggest doing an iso-noise test or noise to preformance curve to see what is the sacrifice that auto 95 degree carry, because according to the article all is sunshine and flowers while disregarding a very important factor.

Last edited:
It's not, really they're just allowing the chips to boost higher & going nearly crazy hot in order to match Intel's speeds. Now we can debate ad nauseum who's at fault for this arms GHz race but the fact is these chips can run cooler & a lot more efficiently, you'll just need to tune them accordingly!

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
This would be 100% a no go as silent enthausiast.

There is a reason i went with a overkill NH-D15 on my Non-K 11700, it means it only has to spin 600 RPM to keep it 45-55C during gaming.

The coolers arent the issues theese days, it's the damn heatspreader.

Now that LGA is the standard. Why don't they start removing the heatspreader. The bracket holding the cpu down can be used to create a barrier from putting too much preasure from the die.
The LGA socket itself will provide the preasuret to the heatsink.

We had direct die cooling for year in the past, and that was with mounting and supporting big heavy copperblocks directly on a small die. With LGA it would be a lot safer

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.

There is a reason i went with a overkill NH-D15 on my Non-K 11700, it means it only has to spin 600 RPM to keep it 45-55C during gaming.
You're not alone with that. I also have a non-K 11700 that I'm water cooling with a 280 mm AIO. 40-50 °C in gaming is nice, but so is 75 °C in Cinebench while maintaining 4.4 GHz across all cores. :)

If I go with AMD in the future (I might because I'm curious), I'll definitely give Eco mode a try.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
me too, i would love to see power usage in relations to which cooler used. Does lower frequency means lower power?
Power charts have been added, great suggestion, thanks!

Plus, the benchmarking here doesn't feel right. There are 4 productivity apps pitted against 4 games (but games are tested several times).
I picked a few applications that cover the whole spectrum of workloads, this part was easy.

Picking games was harder. I wanted something light that represents MOBA games: CSGO.. I also wanted something that scales across cores: Cyberpunk .. then I wanted Far Cry 6 because it scales very well with CPU perf, and then I felt like I could add one more. Then I realized that things will depends on the resolution, so I tested all of them.

Is your underlying question: what are the app-only averages?

If you buy this for productivity (and work in an office with these installed in several workstations), I'm pretty sure you won't want to run on air.
Why? Maybe you actually definitely want to run them on air and sacrifice a few percent in perf, but you won't have to worry about maintainability? Which costs a lot of $$ in downtime and support man hours?

Last edited:
Software Windows 10 Pro
It's not, really they're just allowing the chips to boost higher & going nearly crazy hot in order to match Intel's speeds. Now we can debate ad nauseum who's at fault for this arms GHz race but the fact is these chips can run cooler & a lot more efficiently, you'll just need to tune them accordingly!
A little preview for TLDR (TLDW?):
It looks like Eco mode basically lowers your TDP class from 105 W to 65 W, your temperature by a lot, and your performance by 5-10%.
1.png

Now I'm sure that if I end up buying a Zen 4 CPU at some point (the B650 motherboard lineup looks pretty grim at the moment, but we'll see), I'll definitely run it in Eco mode.

One more thing to note is that if you're going with something like a 6 core, or even 8 core zen4 chip, with a poor cooler like the Wraith's then you should lower the "TDP" to even below 65W for better thermals. Also with CO & default power limits the 7600x will run like a furnace :ohwell:

Basically whatever you get don't run them with sh!t cooling!

Processor i9-10850K @ 125W Power Limit
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming Z590-PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Kingston KF432C16RBK2/64
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 TUF GAMING O8G @ 950mV / 2010MHz
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 2TB + Samsung 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) ASUS PB287Q + DELL S2719DGF
Case FRACTAL Define 7 Dark TG
Audio Device(s) integrated + Microlab FC330 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50s/LE
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-650, 80+ Titanium, 650W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL – CHERRY MX SPEED
Very informative read! :)

Some typos that I have noticed:
- the NH-U14S is able to keep temperatures well above the 5 GHz-mark / probably should be frequencies
- and when when all 32 threads are maxed out
- to stay as close possible to 95°C / to stay as close as possible to 95°C
- gains from going water are are relatively small
- Overall this great news for Zen 4 buyers / Overall this is great news for Zen 4 buyers

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Very good and informative article but I'm missing a key element: noise.
Not a single word about it.

How do you set fan curve with reasonable noise output when you get 95 degree all time?

As someone who is sensitive to noise, I want to tweek and fine-tune noise to preformance. I can't see how it can be done on zen4 cpu's.
In this regard, zen4 is a step back from past platforms and might be the deciding factor when buying my new system.

This is a "design choice" that turn into desing-flaw, if no matter the workload it causing maximum noise and no, setting 40-60% max noise at 95 degree is out of the question as part of what I do is long rendering. I know that on those occasions I will need to cope wite max noise, but at other cases it`s a no-go.

I suggest doing an iso-noise test or noise to preformance curve to see what is the sacrifice that auto 95 degree carry, because according to the article all is sunshine and flowers while disregarding a very important factor.
Then re read it.

If a wraith spire at 20% is fine, and it was.

And that's too noisy for you get a MacBook air simple.

But regardless get used to hot chip's, as above hints so AL confirmed, hot chip's are now the normal, unless you do nothing with it.

Excellent article with comprehensive and clear testing.
I’m not totally sure about the ‘95 is the new 65’ though. If the manufacturer says it’s fine it doesn’t mean it’s a good thing. AMD can’t possibly say ‘yeah it’s way too high but we had no other choice’
That’s my personal opinion of course.

You can run an advanced Ryzen CPU with an NH-D15 on low fan RPM, as shown, and still enjoy its performance with very high clocks

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Very informative read! :)

Some typos that I have noticed:
- the NH-U14S is able to keep temperatures well above the 5 GHz-mark / probably should be frequencies
- and when when all 32 threads are maxed out
- to stay as close possible to 95°C / to stay as close as possible to 95°C
- gains from going water are are relatively small
- Overall this great news for Zen 4 buyers / Overall this is great news for Zen 4 buyers
Whoops .. big fail .. I've read it several times and missed those .. also other staffers .. thank you!

No performance comparison between 3200mhz and 5700mhz?
Wraith Spire at 20% was slightly unstable in some tests, so I didn't include it, but still wanted to get you the frequencies

Processor i9-10850K @ 125W Power Limit
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming Z590-PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory Kingston KF432C16RBK2/64
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 TUF GAMING O8G @ 950mV / 2010MHz
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 2TB + Samsung 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) ASUS PB287Q + DELL S2719DGF
Case FRACTAL Define 7 Dark TG
Audio Device(s) integrated + Microlab FC330 / Audio-Technica ATH-M50s/LE
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-650, 80+ Titanium, 650W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL – CHERRY MX SPEED
Whoops .. big fail .. I've read it several times and missed those .. also other staffers .. thank you!
It's not a "big fail", as the content quality makes up for the typos. ;)
You're welcome!