• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cross-straits Conflict May Have Spooked Warren Buffett to Liquidate His $4 Billion Stake in TSMC: Report

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Ace investor Warren Buffett held a US $4 billion stake in TSMC as of January, and has reportedly sold all of it over a period between February to April, 2023. The sale has triggered alarm bells in some circles over the possible reasons someone like Buffett—who wrote the book on long-term strategic investments—would liquidate their holdings. The ongoing slump in the semiconductor industry, and economic recession in the West, seem to cut it as valid reasons. Fortune Magazine has a more grim theory.

Fortune writes that the possibility of a cross-straits conflict between Taiwan and China is at an all-time high, and this could have been a consideration for Buffett to sell his TSMC stake. It is assessed that a Chinese invasion of Taiwan now—with global chip supply chains not yet having attained "resilience"—would minimize economic reprisals on China from the West. The other side of the story could be that the economic slump, in combination with semiconductor manufacturing facing its biggest technological challenges as it approaches the 20-angstrom realm, may have soured TSMC's long-term prospects for Buffett.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Or he has an other idea to put the capital he is managing, which will make him a more money faster.
There is a liquidity crisis lots of people need money and banks aren’t lending.

Or he has an other idea to put the capital he is managing, which will make him a more money faster.

At his age, I wonder if it's really even about the money anymore? lol
He probably just really likes his job to continue doing it.

“in combination with semiconductor manufacturing facing its biggest technological challenges as it approaches the 20-angstrom realm”

Its not like they hit the shrink wall and just stop. TSMC will continue to make chips until the entire world is using silicon on the last node. That will take some time.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
At his age, I wonder if it's really even about the money anymore? lol
He probably just really likes his job to continue doing it.

Yeah, the guy is 92 years old with a net worth of 113 billion dollars. He has said that he is a contrarian. He buys when other investors are panicking and racing to sell and he sells when other investors are too confident of value in investments.

Its not just his money it’s his companies money.

I believe it was his own money invested in TSMC. The company that he is CEO of (Berkshire Hathaway) has a Market Cap of 708 billion dollars and revenue of 302 billion dollars.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason to buy TSMC or any fab when they are gradually being restricted to whom they can do business with. For instance, US dictates that the fabs cannot freely so business with China, or any nations on their cross hair. So with limited upside, and a big downside, I don't see why you would like to invest in such companies. Given very gloomy economic outlook, these restrictions will squeeze the profits of these companies hard.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
I don't see any reason to buy TSMC or any fab when they are gradually being restricted to whom they can do business with. For instance, US dictates that the fabs cannot freely so business with China, or any nations on their cross hair. So with limited upside, and a big downside, I don't see why you would like to invest in such companies. Given very gloomy economic outlook, these restrictions will squeeze the profits of these companies hard.

China is being restricted because it's threatening war with Taiwan and other countries are fed up with having their IP stolen. The only other sanctioned country is Russia for obvious reasons. Not sure what your argument here is other than that you either think nothing should restrict capitalism or that China and Russia should not be punished for their actions.

Last edited:
This or he thinks the threat of China invading Taiwan is credible. That would spook anyone. What Buffet fails to understand is that Taiwan is a close and very nearly critical economic partner to the US and most of the western world. If China attacks Taiwan, they will get pummeled. The problem is, they have viable nukes and we don't know how willing they are to use them. What needs to happen is the Chinese leadership being removed and a sensible government taking power. Otherwise we are headed into World War 3. China wants Taiwan and we can't let them have their way. We're at an impasse an the only way out is for China to yield or have their moron leadership removed.

(Note to mods: This was not intended to be a political statement, only an opinion based on a conclusion of available facts.)

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
This is tenuous tech news at best. It's investor news. Might as well get info on who has major shares in Intel, AMD, or Nvidia. Never seen an article on that.

System Name Home
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asrock Taichi x370
Cooling Thermalright True Spirit 140
Memory Patriot 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 10gb
Storage Too many to count
Display(s) U2518D+u2417h
Case Chieftec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply seasonic prime 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
While the commoner can make a guess, the 92 years old billionaire has access to information right from the people who run the country, probably someone came to him and said, SIR, SIRRRRR, CAN YOU HEAR ME ? A WAR MIGHT HAPPEN IN TAIWAN! YOU SHOULD SELL YOUR STAKE IN TSMC NOW! SIR, SIRRRRRR!!!
Warren Buffet, visionary!

Just move tsmc brick by brick to US soil and give all the employees green cards. Problem solved ?
Not by a long shot. TSMC is far from the only important tech company with facilities in Taiwan. Name your brand and they likely have a presence in Taiwan.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
This is tenuous tech news at best. It's investor news. Might as well get info on who has major shares in Intel, AMD, or Nvidia. Never seen an article on that.
I agree, though its interesting in the case of Buffett.

You can't say TSMC isn't slowly becoming a high risk investment, if you consider the political development around Taiwan.
At the same time though TSMC is a 100% certain investment in terms of short term value. The question is, when do you extract that value, or will you sit with dividends. If China starts something (or the US), that share price might redline entirely overnight. Their new US branch isn't going to be the same thing, we all know this.

Just move tsmc brick by brick to US soil and give all the employees green cards. Problem solved ?
People aren't bricks, and those are key here. Give all employees green cards... who said they want to live in the US?

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't know but I've always held the opinion that understanding financials is a necessary component of understanding why things happen the way they do in the tech world. When a guy like Buffet backs billions of dollars out of a tech company then it's probably a good thing to pay attention to or at least be aware of it.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I don't know but I've always held the opinion that understanding financials is a necessary component of understanding why things happen the way they do in the tech world. When a guy like Buffet backs billions of dollars out of a tech company then it's probably a good thing to pay attention to or at least be aware of it.
That's exactly why we're sharing such bits with you.

This or he thinks the threat of China invading Taiwan is credible. That would spook anyone. What Buffet fails to understand is that Taiwan is a close and very nearly critical economic partner to the US and most of the western world. If China attacks Taiwan, they will get pummeled. The problem is, they have viable nukes and we don't know how willing they are to use them. What needs to happen is the Chinese leadership being removed and a sensible government taking power. Otherwise we are headed into World War 3. China wants Taiwan and we can't let them have their way. We're at an impasse an the only way out is for China to yield or have their moron leadership removed.

(Note to mods: This was not intended to be a political statement, only an opinion based on a conclusion of available facts.)
I donno man, feels like China is going to wait for opportunity, such as KMT return to power, then do a naval blockade for a few month to starve Taiwan out, outright invasion will trigger lots of country, China knew it too.

System Name 2rd-hand Hand-me-down
Processor Ryzen R5-1600
Motherboard ASRock X370
Cooling Wraith Spire
Memory 2 x 8Gb G.Skill @ 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 8Gb Radeon RX 580 (TPU-enhanced)
Storage 2 x 500 Gb Crucial MX500
Display(s) LG 19.5"
Case (early) DeepCool
Audio Device(s) Ubiquitous Realtek
Power Supply 650W FSP
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
VR HMD What?
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores [REDACTED]
If I had that much money, or even a fraction of that much money, at risk, I'd probably be looking for an exit along with an alternative investment, myself.

I mean, it's all well and good at the moment, but if somebody, either deliberately or accidentally, drops a few 2000 lb. bombs through the roofs of the fabs, I'm not so sure you can come back from that. I think that is a situation where people use the term, "costly delays..."

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
It's not "Quite" that simple.

You need sand and not just any old sand... You need the right kind of sand/silicon to start with and although you could probrably get it shipped in, that also depends on where it's coming from.
If China is the one with the sand and your country has sanctions on them guess what?

To say it like the old Soup nazi in NYC would say it....
No sand for you!!!

There is also the thing about rare earth minerals, something else China has an abundance of vs other countries and it doesn't help that Russia also has a majority, if not a lock on at least a few of these rare earth mineral types/kinds.

In either case if you can't get them and you need them, guess what you'll be doing regardless of where the building is?
Not a damn thing.

Think about it.

And that's just from a materials viewpoint, there is also a personel issue(s), logistics issue(s), equipment issue(s), enviroment/enviromental issues...... So much that goes into where a place is built to do something of this kind of specalized production nature you must take into account before scooping up the literal first shovelfull of dirt onsite to build it.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Excruciatingly hard to keep this thread on track and non political, good luck:).

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
China is being restricted because it's threatening war with Taiwan and other countries are fed up with having their IP stolen. The only other sanctioned country is Russia for obvious reasons. Not sure what your argument here is other than that you either think nothing should restrict capitalism or that China and Russia should not be punished for their actions.
He's not making EITHER argument, stop trying to make this a black or white political decision. The argument is simple: with TSMC cut off from the largest growth market (china), and the west dealing with the Not A Recession (tm) its future growth will be limited, so investing into it further doesnt make much sense

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Well the motto is buy low and sell high
Being 93YO dude is likely also simplifying investments for his exit
To sell or dump shares you have to have buyers so it's just money/ risk changing hands only thing that would be interesting is the dump/ sell price Buffett accepted ;)

One thing I remember from reading a biography of Buffett many years ago was he had a particular fear of nuclear war, almost considering it inevitable, and that leads me to think he could tend toward pessimism or hypervigilance when it comes to geopolitical risks. This sort of move, even motivated just by general fears based mainly on public information, might not be out of character.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It's not "Quite" that simple.

You need sand and not just any old sand... You need the right kind of sand/silicon to start with and although you could probrably get it shipped in, that also depends on where it's coming from.
If China is the one with the sand and your country has sanctions on them guess what?

To say it like the old Soup nazi in NYC would say it....
No sand for you!!!

There is also the thing about rare earth minerals, something else China has an abundance of vs other countries and it doesn't help that Russia also has a majority, if not a lock on at least a few of these rare earth mineral types/kinds.

In either case if you can't get them and you need them, guess what you'll be doing regardless of where the building is?
Not a damn thing.

Think about it.

And that's just from a materials viewpoint, there is also a personel issue(s), logistics issue(s), equipment issue(s), enviroment/enviromental issues...... So much that goes into where a place is built to do something of this kind of specalized production nature you must take into account before scooping up the literal first shovelfull of dirt onsite to build it.
Mining of rare earth metals is more of a choice than an actual rarity at this point. China has taken the massive pollution it causes in its stride. We (EU) chose to preserve nature on several occasions, I can dig up the examples. We also now are moving to opening mines in Scandinavia. The resources are there. We were just too lazy and could simply pay to get our Chinese slaves to get it instead. Sounds harsh, but it really is the bitter truth.