• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why did we abandon hydrogen cars so quickly?

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Hydrogen storage is measured in GW-hrs or even 10s of GW-hrs.

Meanwhile, Li-ion storage is 10x smaller at best. 100MW-hrs, 10MW-hrs, or so.
Portable storage?

Portable storage?

If they're talking about "nuclear" energy, I don't think that's very portable.

But in regards to transportation energy storage, Hyundai XCIENT Hydrogen trucks are traveling pretty far, and only taking 10 to 20 minutes to refuel. I think we're already in a regime where H2 for truckers is superior over electric.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

But in regards to transportation energy storage, Hyundai XCIENT Hydrogen trucks are traveling pretty far, and only taking 10 to 20 minutes to refuel. I think we're already in a regime where H2 for truckers is superior over electric.

Where does the Hydrogen come from? Most from Natural Gas, and CO2 is a byproduct. Its worse for the environment than just burning the natural gas to create electricity. There is no way around the laws of thermodynamics. Hydrogen cells are 40-60% efficient about the same as burning the natural gas directly for electricity, but without the carbon emmissions from compressing, cooling, transporting, storage, and then only getting 50% of that energy back.

If we had stable nuclear fission as a base load and used excess electricity to break down water for clean hydrogen it would make more sense, but even then, it would be better for everyone to plug in their car and charge off peak, or make hot water.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD

For trucks at current tech levels, electric is a terrible choice.

I believe the nuclear comments were as to the original generation of power, to be used for generation of H2 or direct battery storage.

I think that battery tech will move beyond Lithium before the infrastructure and portability issues of hydrogen are worked out for general transportation.

Personally, my opinion is that ICE vehicles running on "green fuel" are much more likely to gain widespread acceptance, and would be able to reuse existing infrastructure.

There is no way around the laws of thermodynamics. Hydrogen cells are 40-60% efficient about the same as burning the natural gas directly for electricity, but without the carbon emmissions from compressing, cooling, transporting, storage, and then only getting 50% of that energy back.

When energy is free, it won't really matter if your methodology is 50% effective or 100% effective. Or alternatively: if the cost is "only" double, but allows something to become possible, its well worth the price.

Solving energy storage GW-hrs at a time, rather than MW-hrs at a time, is probably worth the loss of efficiency.

it would be better for everyone to plug in their car and charge off peak

Doesn't work for apartment dwellers. Meanwhile, we can run H2 plants at off peak hours or other times which is more convenient.

Low quality post by Steevo
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
When energy is free, it won't really matter if your methodology is 50% effective or 100% effective. Or alternatively: if the cost is "only" double, but allows something to become possible, its well worth the price.

Solving energy storage GW-hrs at a time, rather than MW-hrs at a time, is probably worth the loss of efficiency.

Doesn't work for apartment dwellers. Meanwhile, we can run H2 plants at off peak hours or other times which is more convenient.
I see you believe in perpetual motion.......

Attachments

• science-wise.gif
    science-wise.gif
    799.2 KB · Views: 46
In science fiction? Even if you don't have to pay money for energy, that doesn't mean it's free. The point of view from the bottom of the wallet is infinitely wrong and arrogant.

Nuclear, Wind, and Solar are effectively free energy, but costly capex. This leads to a very different economic model than your math is concerned about.

On a daily basis, the USA roughly doubles its electricity consumption to peak hours, and halves it during off-hours. Furthermore, electricity usage during the summer (for air conditioning) can be 2x more than winter (heating costs). So our day-to-day peak/off-peak cycles are roughly on a 1-to-4 ratio. We are already seeing this effect in practice. In states with severe amounts of solar deployment, the price of energy drops to negative, which is even "better than free". That's just the free market and the realities of our energy market talking.

So the economic reality is... grossly different... than what you seem to understand.

------

So some areas of our country, at certain times, are facing a huge amount of negative electricity prices. My answer: build a H2 plant there to take advantage of free (or even negative-cost) electricity. It doesn't matter if its 50% efficient or 100% efficient, you just benefit from the excess solar power / renewables that already exist in this country. And as more-and-more renewable energy is deployed, we will see more-and-more of these economic activities pop up.

This economic mismatch happens because grid stability is exceedingly complex in practice. We will not be able to "fix" negative electricity prices, because we need perfect weather prediction to do that. (If the weather is 5F cooler than expected, AC won't spin up as much and bam, excess electricity will be generated). This combined with unpredictable (on a day-to-day basis) solar or wind means that the price of electricity will swing on an hour-to-hour basis as we deploy more renewables. Having plants that can spin up and take advantage of these effects (like H2) is a serious possibility. (Kind of like a reverse-peaker plant: a plant that will consume electricity on demand to stabilize negative, free, or low electricity prices)

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Nuclear, Wind, and Solar are effectively free energy, but costly capex. This leads to a very different economic model than your math is concerned about.

On a daily basis, the USA roughly doubles its electricity consumption to peak hours, and halves it during off-hours. Furthermore, electricity usage during the summer (for air conditioning) can be 2x more than winter (heating costs). So our day-to-day peak/off-peak cycles are roughly on a 1-to-4 ratio. We are already seeing this effect in practice. In states with severe amounts of solar deployment, the price of energy drops to negative, which is even "better than free". That's just the free market and the realities of our energy market talking.

So the economic reality is... grossly different... than what you seem to understand.

------

So some areas of our country, at certain times, are facing a huge amount of negative electricity prices. My answer: build a H2 plant there to take advantage of free (or even negative-cost) electricity. It doesn't matter if its 50% efficient or 100% efficient, you just benefit from the excess solar power / renewables that already exist in this country. And as more-and-more renewable energy is deployed, we will see more-and-more of these economic activities pop up.

This economic mismatch happens because grid stability is exceedingly complex in practice. We will not be able to "fix" negative electricity prices, because we need perfect weather prediction to do that. (If the weather is 5F cooler than expected, AC won't spin up as much and bam, excess electricity will be generated). This combined with unpredictable (on a day-to-day basis) solar or wind means that the price of electricity will swing on an hour-to-hour basis as we deploy more renewables. Having plants that can spin up and take advantage of these effects (like H2) is a serious possibility. (Kind of like a reverse-peaker plant: a plant that will consume electricity on demand to stabilize negative, free, or low electricity prices)
All those people who have solar they were promised they could "sell" to the grid and not have a bill didn't realize "the grid" isn't free and they were duped. The grid needs a upgrade to help carry the base load that small pockets of unreliable power that have "negative value" that only cause planning problems and the need for larger upgrades to the grid to balance out the distribution, and have caused the installation of multiple natural gas high demand stations. One is being built in Laurel MT for this very reason, the wind power that is "replacing" stable base load needs a large, noisy, gas turbine install to remain reliable.

All those people who have solar they were promised they could "sell" to the grid and not have a bill didn't realize "the grid" isn't free and they were duped. The grid needs a upgrade to help carry the base load that small pockets of unreliable power that have "negative value" that only cause planning problems and the need for larger upgrades to the grid to balance out the distribution, and have caused the installation of multiple natural gas high demand stations. One is being built in Laurel MT for this very reason, the wind power that is "replacing" stable base load needs a large, noisy, gas turbine install to remain reliable.

Or alternatively, you build massive Solar Panels for production. Instead of turning off the solar panels in times of negative energy prices, you build an H2 plant to absorb the excess electricity and turn it into Hydrogen Fuel (which can be saved for next season, when the price of electricity increases again). Seasonal-scale electricity storage. Or the H2 could be used as an intermediate step to Ammonia / Fertilizer, generated with 100% green energy.

My point: "cost of electricity" is more complex than you might believe. There's numerous amount of opportunities here if we start getting creative. And H2's use manages to fit into this situation, at least in theory. Maybe we'll come across practical issues, but Europe is already beginning to create Solar+Hydrogen plants for this reason. It seems like H2 production could very well be a better storage mechanism than Solar+Li-ion batteries in practice.

The future of energy is discovering how to use this "free" electricity, as well as "free" sources of energy storage (ex: asking the various plants out there to spin up or spin down depending on grid load).

-----------

EDIT: One example of a commissioned plant in 2022. The experiment has begun.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Or alternatively, you build massive Solar Panels for production. Instead of turning off the solar panels in times of negative energy prices, you build an H2 plant to absorb the excess electricity and turn it into Hydrogen Fuel (which can be saved for next season, when the price of electricity increases again). Seasonal-scale electricity storage. Or the H2 could be used as an intermediate step to Ammonia / Fertilizer, generated with 100% green energy.

My point: "cost of electricity" is more complex than you might believe. There's numerous amount of opportunities here if we start getting creative. And H2's use manages to fit into this situation, at least in theory. Maybe we'll come across practical issues, but Europe is already beginning to create Solar+Hydrogen plants for this reason. It seems like H2 production could very well be a better storage mechanism than Solar+Li-ion batteries in practice.

The future of energy is discovering how to use this "free" electricity, as well as "free" sources of energy storage (ex: asking the various plants out there to spin up or spin down depending on grid load).

-----------

EDIT: One example of a commissioned plant in 2022. The experiment has begun.

A 2018 Study shows a average of 173Kwh per ton at large scale to create urea the most common and stable fertilizer we need.
2019 we needed 177 Million tons.

30,621,000,000 Kwh needed per year, or 3.5Mwh per day. Assuming 100% efficiency, current 1Kw systems take up 5.5Sqm and cost roughly 1K. So we only need 62 Trillion for panels, and slightly less than the whole surface area of the earth (3/4 the surface) to put them on. Genius idea. prevents global warming by blocking our ALL the sun. Also would be hard to grow crops to feed people, but with no food or sun people would die quickly.

My math may have been slightly off here, I was using my phone. I used Excel to do the math and we only need 39,000 Sq Km of solar panels. So cover China or Switzerland or someplace and we will call it good.

I love your passion, but it needs a tempering of reality. Also Urea production represents 10-15% of our total global energy need, so we just need 20 more planets to cover in solar panels to make it all come together.

Last edited:
I'm also a big proponent of nuclear energy. But that's probably off topic?

My point stands in any case. The unreliable solar panels pair up nicely with H2 production, which needs to be solved. Green Hydrogen might be more important than green transportation, as H2 directly leads to our food supply in practice.

Our grids have a sizable amount of free energy that's currently being wasted, and this wasted energy is going to only grow as more solar panels are made. We might as well take advantage of these free energy effects where we can.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
I'm also a big proponent of nuclear energy. But that's probably off topic?

My point stands in any case. The unreliable solar panels pair up nicely with H2 production, which needs to be solved. Green Hydrogen might be more important than green transportation, as H2 directly leads to our food supply in practice.

Our grids have a sizable amount of free energy that's currently being wasted, and this wasted energy is going to only grow as more solar panels are made. We might as well take advantage of these free energy effects where we can.
You keep using the term Free Energy, and it makes sense in the context that you are using it if there wasn't capex, carbon and other costs associated with it and someday there needing to be a replacement and maintenance cost. You are making the same argument that people who think Insulin and other products should be free use, but fail to consider that its cost covers so much more, and that nothing is free, its just the future or taxpayers that pay for it, and everyone needs paid to buy food, make house payments, buy the new cars, pay doctors, taxes etc......

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
A 2018 Study shows a average of 173Kwh per ton at large scale to create urea the most common and stable fertilizer we need.
2019 we needed 177 Million tons.

30,621,000,000 Kwh needed per year, or 3.5Mwh per day. Assuming 100% efficiency, current 1Kw systems take up 5.5Sqm and cost roughly 1K. So we only need 62 Trillion for panels, and slightly less than the whole surface area of the earth (3/4 the surface) to put them on. Genius idea. prevents global warming by blocking our ALL the sun. Also would be hard to grow crops to feed people, but with no food or sun people would die quickly.

I love your passion, but it needs a tempering of reality. Also Urea production represents 10-15% of our total global energy need, so we just need 20 more planets to cover in solar panels to make it all come together.

Something's off with either your math or notation. Or my math. Probably that, cuz what I get from your numbers is: 30.6B kWh/yr = 84M kWh/d = 84k MWh/d. Sticking with kW scale since you used 1kW systems as an example, 12h of max production gets 12 kWh of electricity. 84M kWh / 12 kWh = 7M systems. 7M x $1k = $7B and would cover ~40M sqm, or 40 sqkm. Which doesn't seem like nearly enough, so I must have screwed up somewhere. Even cutting daily output in half again only doubles cost and area to $14B and 80 sqkm. Which ain't nothin', but also isn't $62T and 3/4 earth's landmass.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Hydrogen has more issues than electric storage, current advances in Lithium Iron and fast charge capacitors, plus the whole thermodynamics laws makes hydrogen one step further away from the electrical energy that a battery provides and thus less efficient. Creating hydrogen from electricity, storing it under high pressure and low temperature, fuel cell recreating electricity to then power a vehicle VS Electricity from a stable nuclear base load, solar or wind, direct storage and electricity use. Fewer steps, more efficient.

my argument is still the same on this, I mean if Toyota can already provide a 400 mile + range Mirai hydrogen car (and it costs the same as most EV's btw), than that can be scaled if it gets proper investments.

Looks like the EV bubble is finally popping.... It won't be long before hydrogen takes over.

There are massive insurmountable challenges to mass EV adoption.

Hydrogen fuel can be produced off peak with renewable and nuclear energy.

Existing fuel stations can be converted to use it. In time.

System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I am still at a loss as to what is meant by a hydrogen car
  • Internal combustion engine
  • Fuel cell electric
The first is inherently inefficient and does not gain much.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I am still at a loss as to what is meant by a hydrogen car
  • Internal combustion engine
  • Fuel cell electric
The first is inherently inefficient and does not gain much.
Well so far every hydrogen car has been a fuel cell design.
Looks like the EV bubble is finally popping.... It won't be long before hydrogen takes over.

I dont see the EV bubble popping for cars anytime soon. For big vehicles, like heavy duty trucks, trains, and airplanes, hydrogen make a LOT more sense due to density.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Oh? What looks like it?

No issues here whatsoever, the issues wrt solar panels on roofs and EVs on the network is talked about though. Energy transfer is more decentralised in every way. You need to adjust your network for it. That is all. But once you drive electric... hard to go back imho. The only caveat is range, which will fix itself in due time.

Hydrogen has a place, I think its perfect for heavier duty vehicles than personal transport. Also there is no doubt in my mind its not matter of which - we just need everything to remove fossil. Including nuclear - renewable on its own is never going to satisfy demands. And is a way too influential pressure on land mass/space. Nuclear will be the tool to save space, it will be its primary unique selling point. The energy you can actually provide per square meter is going to be huge on a planet that is slowly overpopulating.

We are already 2023, hydrogen has been trying to impose itself safely for a whole century. Meanwhile, supercomputers with teraflops of performance like The Earth Simulator (First Generation 2002), are already outclassed by a single cut-down Nvidia Lovelace graphics chip in your RTX 4090, and even more cut-down in the RTX 4080...
What I want to say. If hydrogen were a road, we would have walked it.

We are already 2023, hydrogen has been trying to impose itself safely for a whole century. Meanwhile, supercomputers with teraflops of performance like The Earth Simulator (First Generation 2002), are already outclassed by a single cut-down Nvidia Lovelace graphics chip in your RTX 4090, and even more cut-down in the RTX 4080...
What I want to say. If hydrogen were a road, we would have walked it.

We are walking it.

This is, right now, a commercially available semi-truck being used across real life routes.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Well so far every hydrogen car has been a fuel cell design.

Incorrect.

Those are but 2, from major manufacturers.

H2ICEs would be 'the ideal' solution to all parties' desires *if* storage and transfer of the fuel can be made both safe and affordable. To my knowledge, there are 'safe' tanks; well-tested, and highly-resistant to catastrophic failure. The problem: very expensive.
Since even 'shelved' technologies like Hydride-storage haven't demonstrated meeting the need, I do not blame those that think Hydrogen-powered automobiles (Fuel Cell or ICE) are just another pipe dream.
To me though, the concept still seems more viable than mass-proliferation of EVs (under current and near-future battery technologies and mains/grid power generation)

We are walking it.

This is, right now, a commercially available semi-truck being used across real life routes.

Toyota (and others?) also offer Hydrogen-powered fork-lifts and other 'warehouse-industry' utility vehicles.
There's even industrial systems for on-site production of H2. Apparently, Toyota (and/or others?) have made an electrolysis system that's more affordable than Propane.

Fuel cell electric hydrogen would be the future.

If it's also possible to run hydrogen fuel in existing combustion engines, then you've got a bridge that leads to mass adoption of the former.

It's been done with diesel:

H2 will run in an unmodified 'Petrol' ICE.
However, Issues arise:
A. 'flashback' in carburation/air-fuel mix (a 'backfire' becomes a potentially very damaging event)
B. The computerized monstrosities on the road today being inadaptable, due to decades of regulation-reactionary engineering.

MythBusters was far from the first, but is the most public proof of an unmodified gasoline ICE running on Hydrogen.
(of course they purposely did it purely for entertainment, but the concept has been proven many times over)

Last edited: