• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem Playing DVD's

mex

Well I don’t normally use my PC to play movies but I was recently put in a position that I needed to. So as normal i put the DVD into the tray and opened the application I wanted to use to play the DVD and the program opened however as it started to read the DVD it came up with this error message!

The instruction at "0x7c91142e" referenced memory at "0x6c657672". The memory could not be "read".

I found this really strange and couldn't figure it out so I just decided to open Media player and play it through that, But this had a problem too. when selecting the DVD to play It came to halt and brought up the send this error to Microsoft error message.

This is a little annoying because i cant find any related article to this and I don’t really know where to start.

Just to answer some things you might be thinking,

It is a DVD rom device
All Microsoft updates are applied
i can play DVD rom games with out a problem
i can view the contents on the DVD just cant play them
I have tried a number of programs to play the DVD and they all fail
I have the latest version of direct X

Thanks

System Name Xbox 360 Super Elite
Processor 3.2GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon
Memory 512MB 700MHz GDDR3 RAM
Video Card(s) ATI Xenos @ 500 MHz
Storage 250GB
Display(s) 26" Samsung LCD HDTV
Case Super Elite (COD:MW2 Edition)
Audio Device(s) 5.1
Power Supply 120w
Software NXE
you need DVD playing like CyberLink's powerDVD software, this software as the video and audio codec for playing dvd's

mex

Well i was using a program called Asus DVD that came with my motherboard. This software also carries its own Codec and i am sure runs similar to Cyberlinks powerDVD software. I am not sure this problem is todo with the software i am using to play DVD's because the problem also happens in Media player, although its a different error message.

mex

OK i was thinking about this some more and i think Media player uses what ever DVD software you have installed to run the DVD, Media player on its own does not run DVD's.

Can some one confirm that?

If that is the case then i agree with you cjoyce i will get myself a better DVD software.

Thank you

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
mex said:
OK i was thinking about this some more and i think Media player uses what ever DVD software you have installed to run the DVD, Media player on its own does not run DVD's.

Can some one confirm that?
Yes, that's right. I was in your position and couldn't find any good DVD software for free so just bought myself an OEM version of PowerDVD for about £3 from Ebuyer. As it happened, my DVD drive broke before it arrived and I had to buy a new one which came with PowerDVD bundled for free :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: .

Breff

Ok, I know this thread is a bit old but I'm having the same problem. Recently formatted hard-disk with clean windows reinstall. I'm using the OEM version of Power DVD. Worked perfectly before the reinstall. Everything's up to date. Even ran a memory checking utility but my RAM got a clean bill of health. Otherwise problem is identical to first post. Any help much appreciated! :)