• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rumor: Apple Preparing a Netbook ?

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
According to both DigiTimes and the Chinese Commercial Times, Taiwan-based Wintek will supply touch panels for a new Apple portable device, which brings forward again the question if Apple is really going to introduce a netbook any time soon? Although company chief Steve Jobs commented that Apple couldn't successfully build a suitable netbook for under the $1,000 price range, reports say exactly the opposite.
Taiwan-based Wintek will supply touch panels for Apple's new netbook, and shipments will start in the third quarter this year, according to a Chinese-language Commercial Times report. Wintek revealed that it is currently working with Apple to develop some new products, but it said it does not know what applications the new products are for. Wintek added that no shipment schedule has been worked out yet, but shipments are likely to begin in the second half of the year. Quanta Computer will be the maker of Apple's new netbook, the Commerical Times report said.
, DigiTimes says. I personally can't see Apple selling a netbook somewhere near the $500 price tag, a price that's high but acceptable for a netbook now a days. Apple's badge has been a symbol for people with deep pockets for ages, all Apple PCs are overpriced we must admit and a single netbook (if true) will change nothing.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I see nothing unbelievable about this.

Apple know whatever they make they can charge whatever they like, and their hordes of seemingly brainwashed fans will pay whatever they charge simply BECAUSE it is an apple product.

Anyone with this kind of customer base would be foolish NOT to produce another overpriced gimmick just to pocket a few more million.

Honestly, I'm jealous - I WISH I could create such a .. "Milk - able" market... Hats off to Uncle Steve.

I personally cant wait for Apple to develop their clothing line further - I cant WAIT foir those HOT new iBoots - they are $600 plastic shiny shoes that have a lil' LCD display on the top, and you can download custom "iLaces" and display them on your feet for $25 / month.

Celebriton

The most expensive netbook may be, but the features inside. May be it's more like big screen iPhone + Laptop. Since Apple always makes revolution in their product, I think this netbook is not ordinary netbook. Worth to wait.

Processor AMD FX 8320 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 rev1
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 4 x 4GB DDR3 Ripjawz 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vapor-X AMD R9 280X
Storage 1 x 500GB Samsung Evo 850, 1 x 500GB Vrap Data Drive, 3 x 2TB Seagate, 1 x 1TB Samsung F1
Display(s) 3 x DGM IPS-2402WDH
Case Coolermaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The most expensive netbook may be, but the features inside. May be it's more like big screen iPhone + Laptop. Since Apple always makes revolution in their product, I think this netbook is not ordinary netbook. Worth to wait.

Big Screen iPhone? You mean it has most of the features of standard netbooks, but is missing some rather important features and costs far more than it ever should?

If Apple can't make a netbook for under $1,000 then maybe they need to look at their manufacturing processes, have you seen the Macbook Air? they could reduce the costs on that thing by 60% if they really tried.

Apple make some fantastic looking products, but they're ridiculously expensive and don't offer much over other similar products.

System Name Becca 2
Processor AMD A10 4600m quad core @ 2.3 ghz
Motherboard dunno
Cooling Logitech alto connect
Memory 16 Gig ddr3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Ati HD 7660G + & 7470M
Storage 1 TB
Audio Device(s) onboard crap
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with sp1
I think they could reduce there cost on most of there systems not just the Macbook air.

Your right on the last bit great looking products tad overpriced though.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
1./ Apple will not be happy about an information leak like this. I'm sure it is against the "spirit" of their NDA with OEM suppliers even if the information shared is a bit grey.

2./ Apple will be very successful with a "netbook" if they choose a format which is a size somewhere between their MacBook Air and a netbook. The Air is too big... for a machine that is supposed to be transportable... but the weight is fine. It's a ungle duckling in that sense. Very light and "cool" but too big for the executive or roadwarrior. Get that size down to a 11" format with thinner screen/keyboard bezel and they will have a winner.

3./ There is no need for apple to build a student/discount "netbook". They can just go for the "ultra-portable" format. Just like SONY and thier $3000 machines. There is a lot of scope between $500 and $3000 to find a price/solution that fits.

If they build an "Air light" 11" format with a high-res screen, e.g. 1280x1024 or better, then I am a buyer. I'm tired of these lower-spec machines with their silly 1024x600. You cant even get a proper spreadsheet on there after toolbars. And neither can you read a PDF without scrolling every 3 lines.

Keiki

Processor Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz @ 3.6 Ghz
Motherboard P4P800-E Deluxe
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 4, Arctic-cooling VGA cooler Rev.3
Memory 1 GB (2 512mb) DDR 480 Corsair 3200 XL @2-4-4-8 timings
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon 9800 pro
Storage 120GB Maxtor ATA, 200GB Maxtor ATA, 200GB Maxtor SATA
Display(s) Viewsonic VX924
Case Casedge Diabolic Minotaur (Storm Blue)
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
Apple will do really well with a netbook, they address a huge part of the market they've been neglecting. Also, for users like me who haven't gotten into Macs, a cheap netbook would be a great gateway computer to try out their OS. I still prefer windows, but if they come out with a netbook with a full OSX that I can dual boot on, I can't say I won't be tempted to try it.

All they need to do is have the specs on par with the other netbooks and have it around the $400-$500 mark. But the price is a factor as Apple is famous for their Apple tax

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Apple will try to get on the netbook trend, but the one prototype I have seen looks stupid. Touch screen, no actual keyboard, and a price only an Apple fan would love.

Johnytxtc

Yeah they are a rip off. I had an apple once it went rotten after a few weeks :(

turtile

Why does a netbook have to be cheap? Apple will have to charge $1000+.

Johnytxtc

I think the low price point was originally the idea so that pikey kids could afford them to help with their school work.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Apple will try to get on the netbook trend, but the one prototype I have seen looks stupid. Touch screen, no actual keyboard, and a price only an Apple fan would love.

Get ready for it, because that's exactly what it's going to look like. Touchscreen keyboards are the way of the future, and Apple will have to have a "futuristic" netbook to maintain their image.

If Apple can't make a netbook for under $1,000 then maybe they need to look at their manufacturing processes, have you seen the Macbook Air? they could reduce the costs on that thing by 60% if they really tried.

This is the very true. Macbook Air's are vastly overpriced -- the reseller market on a Macbook Air has them going for less than $1000. This is on a laptop that originally cost $1800 in its cheapest configuration. It has the highest depreciation of any Macintosh I've ever seen.

PCpraiser100

System Name REBEL R1
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS P6T
Cooling Stock
Memory 6GB OCZ GOLD TC LV Kit 1866MHz@1.65V 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) Two Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X Xfire'd and OC'd (920/1330)
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB 32MB
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 PCI Sound Card
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 16585 Performance Score on 3DMark Vantage
Finally! I hope they start getting it under $2000 though, as their current family is extremely expensive for a stinking 8600GT chipset :wtf:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
The problem with this is that the OS is what makes buying an Apple computer worth the extra cost. Now, if they build a netbook, it is going to be severally under powered, probably to the point that OSX will not run on it. Meaning they will have to use a custom designed OS like the iPhones, still based on OSX, but stripped down to the basics. This eliminates everything that makes a Mac worth the extra money, so there really is no point in picking the more expensive Mac netbook over anyother more cheaper netbook, as both will probably offer the same features, but the Mac will likely cost at least double the price.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
I think the low price point was originally the idea so that pikey kids could afford them to help with their school work.

They can buy any netbook for that matter. Nothing productive in singling out pikey kids. That was borderline offensive.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
The problem with this is that the OS is what makes buying an Apple computer worth the extra cost. Now, if they build a netbook, it is going to be severally under powered, probably to the point that OSX will not run on it. Meaning they will have to use a custom designed OS like the iPhones, still based on OSX, but stripped down to the basics. This eliminates everything that makes a Mac worth the extra money, so there really is no point in picking the more expensive Mac netbook over anyother more cheaper netbook, as both will probably offer the same features, but the Mac will likely cost at least double the price.

You're joking, right? You honestly think most Mac users buy the computer for the OS? :D

Most buy for the trend -- to be part of the "club." Apple could released a polished turd with an Apple logo on it, and it would sell like hotcakes.

Stripped down OS or not, an Apple netbook is going to sell incredibly well.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
You're joking, right? You honestly think most Mac users buy the computer for the OS? :D

Most buy for the trend -- to be part of the "club." Apple could released a polished turd with an Apple logo on it, and it would sell like hotcakes.

Stripped down OS or not, an Apple netbook is going to sell incredibly well.

I said nothing of most Mac users, I was speaking for myself and most enthusiasts here.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
I said nothing of most Mac users, I was speaking for myself and most enthusiasts here.

Well, next time make that clear. ;)

Because I really don't think that Apple even thinks of the "enthusiast" segment for even a second when they're making a new design!

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Thanks Newtekie1, you are absolutely right. Not all of us are "Kids who buy Macs to be trendy". Some of us are older adults who buy Macs because we want to use a OS that doesn't have the drawbacks that a Windows or Linux system does. Some of us spent enough time in Mac Vs. PC flamewars back in the 80's to realize that it is all so much of a waste of time. You should buy what you want because you want it and you shouldn't bash others who choose something else. I'm really not happy that there seems to be so much Apple bashing on TPU. I thought this was a place of intelligent discussion not ignorant and angry bias. I guess I was wrong. I mean look at the opinion that got injected into the news headline...

" I personally can't see Apple selling a netbook somewhere near the $500 price tag, a price that's high but acceptable for a netbook now a days. Apple's badge has been a symbol for people with deep pockets for ages, all Apple PCs are overpriced we must admit and a single netbook (if true) will change nothing."

I mean if that kind of lack of integrity is coming from the top I guess that says a lot about TPU. I don't see one other headline on the front page that has additional opinion added to it.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
Thanks Newtekie1, you are absolutely right. Not all of us are "Kids who buy Macs to be trendy". Some of us are older adults who buy Macs because we want to use a OS that doesn't have the drawbacks that a Windows or Linux system does. Some of us spent enough time in Mac Vs. PC flamewars back in the 80's to realize that it is all so much of a waste of time. You should buy what you want because you want it and you shouldn't bash others who choose something else. I'm really not happy that there seems to be so much Apple bashing on TPU. I thought this was a place of intelligent discussion not ignorant and angry bias. I guess I was wrong. I mean look at the opinion that got injected into the news headline...

" I personally can't see Apple selling a netbook somewhere near the $500 price tag, a price that's high but acceptable for a netbook now a days. Apple's badge has been a symbol for people with deep pockets for ages, all Apple PCs are overpriced we must admit and a single netbook (if true) will change nothing."

I mean if that kind of lack of integrity is coming from the top I guess that says a lot about TPU. I don't see one other headline on the front page that has additional opinion added to it.

Unfortunately though its true. Apple doesn't cater to the budget segment or enthusiast. Although I agree opinions should be left for the discussion and not in the original headline.