• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ZM-G200-coolant. Conductive or not?

ShadowXP

System Name AbominationBox
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14
Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD6870 1Gb
Storage 2x320Gb Samsung SpinPoint
Display(s) 2x24" ACER P243w
Case Thermaltake Matrix VX
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi ExtremeAudio
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate, 64Bit
Topic says it all, really.

Short version: Cracked polycarbonate top of the Thermaltake CPU waterblock (cracked over time, as I've been very careful not to overtighten at install). Leakage of coolant onto the vidcard below the CPU-slot, coolant has gotten into the PCIe16x-slot while power was on.

Anyone got tips on how to clean the PCIe-slot? Compressed air, perhaps? I've ripped the guts out of the computer to perhaps let the damn thing dry out on it's own, but I'm not too optimistic about that.

Long story for those that bother to read it:

So. I've most likely fried my system. I've over a period of time noticed that I had to top off my liquid cooling about once every 4 to 5 weeks. This hasn't really struck me as strange, but yesterday I noticed something that alarmed me. First I saw through the sidepanel of my Kandalf that the coolant-lines ran white. In other words; Foam. Which again means that there's too little coolant for the pump, thus making it cavitate. Definately NOT good.

Just as I reach for the powerbutton in alarm....the system shuts itself off. I quickly top off the tank again, and fires the system back up. Get the POST-screen, but the second the box tries to fire up Windows....black screen. System boots up fine (I can hear the Windows 7 startup-sound in the speakers), but no picture on the monitor. Shut down again and fires everything back up, and I'm greeted by the omnious sound of one long and three short beeps. Which usually means that the Vidcard isn't properly seated and/or missing.

I check and recheck the box, and yep, vidcard has not been abducted by aliens, and hasn't been overrun by Tribbles (which there are plenty of in a house with two cats). I also notice that the coolant-level has dropped below the level I topped it off to, which sets me into a panic. The next few minutes can be described as the following:

1: desk is swept clean of clutter (keyboard, mouse, glasses, laptop etc).
2: every cable is rather roughly removed from the box, and it's hoisted up onto the desk.
3: I notice what looks like some sort of oil on the top of the vidcard.
4: *insert various prime choices of Norwegian and English cursing*

So the question is this: is the ZM-G200-coolant conductive? I already know that it'll cause oxidation on the back of the vidcard (have pictures that I'll post as soon as I get them ripped out of the camera), but I'm really interested in knowing if anyone has been in the same situation with the same type of coolant, and have their system survive it.

Processor Core i7-930
Motherboard Asus P6T
Memory 2x2GB Corsair DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Asus HD4850-1GB
Storage OCZ Summit 120GB
Display(s) Dual Dell SP2208WFP 22in
Power Supply Corsair 520HX
You should really be running a test on the loop jumping the PSU instead of turning on your system. But you can try to rinse it out w/ rubbing alcohol (best part is that it dries quick). But it seems that by powering on w/ the coolant still there, it might have shorted something out, but try the alcohol rinse, then see how it goes.

Make sure to dismantle your entire system and run your loop outside the case to make sure there isn't coolant anywhere else (and clean as appropriate)

Even "non conductive" coolant will be conductive the moment you expose it to your parts, because of particles etc that can get into your loop, it isn't the liquid that's conductive, but various particles that can be traveling in the liquid

Just goes to show that I usually stay awake from thin clear tops whenever possible, they just get too much pressure and prone to cracks =S (though the XSPC mcp350/355 clear top has been doing well for me, but it's nice and thick)

ShadowXP

Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3
Thanks!

Will be looking at a new, all-metal waterblock. Clear-tops are nice for a flair, but I'd much rather like the security that comes with an all metal one. They, at least, don't crack over time.

Have gone over both the card and the slot with an alcohol-based cleaner they have at a TV repair-shop here in town (They kindly let me buy a liter, even though they're not supposed to :D), so I'm letting it sit until tomorrow before cleaning it again, reassemble things using a fan-based system since I don't have the parts to rebuild the coolant-loops and then testing it.

Will be interesting.

System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
Good luck with that...Hope everything turns out fine!!

Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333
Concider getting the Enzotech Luna. I modded mine so it has a solid blue glow.. its pretty easy to mod, you could change the leds easy enought too if you want a different colour.

this block is better than a Swiftech GTZ by a little from what Ive read, and Ive read up alot on it.

Processor Core i7-930
Motherboard Asus P6T
Memory 2x2GB Corsair DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Asus HD4850-1GB
Storage OCZ Summit 120GB
Display(s) Dual Dell SP2208WFP 22in
Power Supply Corsair 520HX
Thanks!

Will be looking at a new, all-metal waterblock. Clear-tops are nice for a flair, but I'd much rather like the security that comes with an all metal one. They, at least, don't crack over time.

Have gone over both the card and the slot with an alcohol-based cleaner they have at a TV repair-shop here in town (They kindly let me buy a liter, even though they're not supposed to :D), so I'm letting it sit until tomorrow before cleaning it again, reassemble things using a fan-based system since I don't have the parts to rebuild the coolant-loops and then testing it.

Will be interesting.

Get the Heatkiller... it's orgasmic ;)

ShadowXP

Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3
Thanks for replies, people. Much appreciated :)

Well, tested the vidcard today. It is, as I suspected, fried. Managed to cobble together an old Dell Optiplex 745 we had at work, and it works well enough for now. Testing the Asus P5Q I have in the ex-liquidcooled case will have to wait until a cooler day. Us fjordmonkeys aren't build for temps like they are now (currently peaking at 31c in the shade here in Larvik, Norway. Way too hot for me...).

Both the Heatkiller and the Luna looks awesome. Partial to the Heatkiller, since I'd like things to be as simple as possible. Don't need flashy, but rather would like efficiency and performance.

On the other hand, if the Luna had red or green LED's....

:toast: