• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

q9650 - how to get a stable oc at 4ghz???

gourlaya

Hi

Please could anyone here give any guidelines as to how to get a stable 4ghz overclock with the following q9650 and P5k (p35 chipset) if this is posible? I think the settings are correct for such an overclock, but the pc tends to lock.

Are there any settings below that people can suggest are to high or need to be lowered to get a stable 4gz Oc with the settings below?

Hoping of some help,

Thanks Andrew :)

P5k (Revision 2) premium black pearl p35 chipset motherboard. bios 1101
Ocz reaper heatpipe pc2 6400 (ocz2rpr800c42g) memory 2x4gb sticks
Intel core q9650 retail stepping A revision E0 vid 1.25
vista ultimate
ocz water block, idle temp 35-38 degrees.

Cpu ratio x9
fsb strap 333
fsb frequency 450
pci-e frequency 100
dram frequency auto
command rate auto
timing control
timing:
5-5-5-18-3-54-6-3-3
Dram static read control disabled
transaction booster disabled
relax level 3

Cpu voltage 1.43v
cpu pll voltage 1.70v
fsb termination voltage 1.40v
dram voltage 2.3v
nb voltage 1.55v
sb voltage 1.20v

Clock overcharging voltage auto
load line calibration enabled
cpu gtl voltage reference 0.63
Nb gtl voltage reference 0.67
cpu spread spectrum disabled
pci-e spread spectrum disabled
cpu clock skew auto
nb clock skew auto

c1e support disabled
max cpuid value limit disabled
vanderpool technology disabled
cpu tm function disabled
execute disable bit disabled

EnglishLion

Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
Cooling Akasa EVO 120
Memory 2 x 1Gb OCZ Gold DDR3 1066Mhz 6,6,6,18
Video Card(s) GeCube ATi X1950Pro 512Mb PCIe (Accelro X2)
Storage Samsung 320Gb SATA2
Display(s) Samsung SM206BW 20" Widescreen TFT 1680x1050
Case Coolermaster Centurion 532
Audio Device(s) On board AC'97
Power Supply Hiper Type-R 580W
Software Windows Vista Home Premium
Benchmark Scores See my OC Blog @ http://www.rowan-house.net/
Hi

You can't just copy someone elses settings, apply them to your system and expect the overclock to work. If that's what you've tried to do. As 'I think the settings are correct for such an overclock' suggests.

I have an ASUS P5E3 Deluxe (X38) with a Q9550 that I'm overclocking at the moment. Not quite the same as your system but similar, I'll let you know what I find out if you like. Currently I'm at 3.8GHz and trying out different CPU GTL voltage ref values. Unfortunately I don't get that much time on the system to try these things out so my progress tends to be quite slow - too many other things need my attention too.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Hi

Please could anyone here give any guidelines as to how to get a stable 4ghz overclock with the following q9650 and P5k (p35 chipset) if this is posible? I think the settings are correct for such an overclock, but the pc tends to lock.

Are there any settings below that people can suggest are to high or need to be lowered to get a stable 4gz Oc with the settings below?

Hoping of some help,

Thanks Andrew :)

P5k (Revision 2) premium black pearl p35 chipset motherboard. bios 1101
Ocz reaper heatpipe pc2 6400 (ocz2rpr800c42g) memory 2x4gb sticks
Intel core q9650 retail stepping A revision E0 vid 1.25
vista ultimate
ocz water block, idle temp 35-38 degrees.

Cpu ratio x9
fsb strap 333
fsb frequency 450
pci-e frequency 100
dram frequency auto
command rate auto
timing control
timing:
5-5-5-18-3-54-6-3-3
Dram static read control disabled
transaction booster disabled
relax level 3

Cpu voltage 1.43v
cpu pll voltage 1.70v
fsb termination voltage 1.40v
dram voltage 2.3v
nb voltage 1.55v
sb voltage 1.20v

Clock overcharging voltage auto
load line calibration enabled
cpu gtl voltage reference 0.63
Nb gtl voltage reference 0.67
cpu spread spectrum disabled
pci-e spread spectrum disabled
cpu clock skew auto
nb clock skew auto

c1e support disabled
max cpuid value limit disabled
vanderpool technology disabled
cpu tm function disabled
execute disable bit disabled

The P35 chipset isnt notorious at overclocking E0 stepping Yorkfields sadly but you may still be able to acheive your goal, the overclock is more about your motherboard than the CPU however which is why settings vary so much for chipset to chipset.

To keep things simple and to start with, at those settings, what speed is your RAM running at? for the sake of the overclock ensure you manually set a lower divider to give you a slower ram speed to factor that out of the equation, once you have acheived the overclock then you can increase and tweak the ram. I had a Q9650 that I managed to get to 4.5gig stable but that was on the P45 chipset which is ideally suited for this chip.

to start with, once you have lowered your memory speed, lower your V core to 1.4V and try all the other voltages on "auto", if that does not work then try these, some of your problems may be related to too high voltages causing NB/SB overheats.........

Cpu voltage 1.40v
cpu pll voltage 1.6v
fsb termination voltage 1.45v
dram voltage 2.2v (because you have slowed the memory down)
nb voltage 1.50v
sb voltage 1.25v

Put your CPU and NB Gtl ref's to "auto" also.

Also try enabling your transaction booster if any of the above does not work.

take your time, report back when you have tried all of that, if it does not work at least we have narrowed down our options.

qamulek

I don't know how load line calibration is on other motherboards, but for me load line calibration helped to get an easy early over-clock but sucked for getting those last few hundred MHz out of my cpu.

I think I only have one reference voltage in my bios, but whatever its for it really affected stability. I would change the reference in one direction till the system was obviously unstable, then start changing the reference voltage in the opposite direction till the system was again obviously unstable, then finally pick a voltage in between which I thought should allow for maximum stability.

I don't have any experience with the cpu/nb clock skew since I don't have that option in my bios, but I've read in other posts that those settings also affect the stability of the system allowing for either higher clocks or lower cpu voltages. A quick google search found this and this post explaining what exactly is skew. Keep gtl ref and skew in mind while trying to achieve your maximum over-clock.

From experience on my current motherboard random lock ups have occurred due to:

Cpu voltage ping either up or down due to load line calibration being enabled.

Cpu voltage set to low/high. At my highest stable over-clock(3.6GHz) if I change the Cpu voltage in either direction the Cpu starts to chug and eventually crashes =/

Gtl ref was a life savor in stability. Too far one way or the other and the system became unstable.

Ht voltage helped a bit. I just increased it and if it helped then I kept it, but if not then I put it back down. Most of the time Ht voltage didn't really help me, but when I was very near stability(but not quite) my last tweak that pushed my system into stablity was increasing Ht voltage just a bit.

For w/e reason NB/SB voltages haven't seemed to impact how stable my system was. It was as if keeping them on auto was just as good as trying to mess with it myself. This could be the bios actually choosing suitable voltages for the FSB speeds though.

Good luck with your overclock. :toast:
PS wtf is clock overcharging voltage? *goes to google to find out as I post this* The settings available to you in your bios makes my Asus motherboard feel so limited x.x

Last edited:
Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
450 mhz is frequently the maximum you`ll see for a combination like that. I would take the proc. back under 440 to see if the stabilty goes back up.