• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

5870 DP issue on wakeup w/Dell 2408

Processor R7-7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 rev B
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Video Card(s) Some 3080 10GB
Storage dual Intel DC P4610 1.6TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34MQ + Dell 2708WFP
Case Lian-Li Lancool III black no rgb
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
i just finished installing my snazzy r5870 lightning coming from a 7800gtx, since i have a 2408WFP rev a02 with displayport how could i let this chance slip?.
so i hook the monitor with the Dell DP 1.1 cable(very high quality one, with ferrite filters, quite thick cable, latched connectors, etc, it's even thicker than the DVI cable!) that came with my monitor, install everything, everything works like a charm.

What's more, in textmode(boot) i notice that the monitor does not antialias the text(or tries to scale them weirdly as with DVI-D) and instead displays evberything 1:1, i also noticed this on the first boot when i was @640x480 everything was so sharp!. anyway, i'm digressing....

so after being all wamr and fuzzy inside :D i go to grab a bite(i have my powersaving set @10minutes) and leave the moni on, i come back... display was in powersave.. nice... i move the mouse.. nothing... punch some keys.. nothing(but i was hearing people talk over the TS which i left connected)....
i power off/on the monitor, switch inputs, nothing UNTIL i pulled the DP connector, i heard the windows "blingbling" for connect/disconnect and voila, video was back and a ATI CCC warning popup was in the middle(i regret not capturing the screen) stating that a "DisplayPort link failure was detected and unable to reconnect the link".

now i don't know if the error appeared due to my unplugging or it was when the VGA tried to wakeup(i was too lazy to go to the other comp to use VNC to my station).

i'm pretty sure this will happen again and unplugging and pluggin is extremely unproductive, i really don't want to go back to DVI.

Anyone had any experience with displayport and powersaving problems?.

i forgot to mention i'm running 10.4.

cheers

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Welcome to TPU L' :toast:

Sorry I can't help you, but I am sure someone will be along soon to assist you.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
AS i've already mentioned in a thread today, DP issues are many, and in such a way, it's hard to beleive that there isn't some sort of hardware issue with these cards...

Anyway, try flipping teh DP cable so teh plug in the GPU goes in the monitor, and see if that fixes any issue, as well as please let us know what brand/model of cable.

Also, by chance...XFX card?:laugh:...if it is...XFX cards have issues with Dell2408, hit 'em up for a bios update...if they don't have one ready yet...

Processor R7-7700X
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
the cable is a Dell one, the one that came with the 2408wfp.
i haven't had a chance to test the DP issue as i got a HORRID hangup whilst playing a light game, even resetting had no effect.
so i got fedup and back to DVI....

card is MSI R5870 Lightning, already posted in first post

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If you don't need to use DP, I suggest you do not. Kinda stupid that I have to recommend it that way...I dunno if it's teh Dell Monitors DP connector, the crappy cable, or teh videocard's hardware, but I've no love for DP, and I have 4 monitors with problems...or hsall I say...4 monitors that exhibit this behavir, through 4 different cards, 6 cables, and 3 OS'es.

Something is SCREWEDED UP!

I've tried every bios imaginable for my cards, too, so something is definately up.

Processor R7-7700X
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
so much for the "display connection of the future".....
back to league of legends, i TRULY hope i don't see another horrid crash...

btw, i have also disabled the MSI phase-disabling crap

Processor R7-7700X
Memory no name DDR5-5200
Power Supply CM UCP 750W
Software Win 10 Pro x64
well.. i left the pc on overnight with DVI and everything was ok, monitor woke-up as expected, no hangs, nothing...

Ar3s

but i use my asus 5870 ref card with displayport daily. 10.4 works great even waking it back up. No issues with displayport. Even audio thru the displayport to the monitor speakers work flawlessly. What was wrong with the connection of the future i don't know. However i'm not using the Dell monitor.

poo417

Processor I7 920 @ 4GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GAX58AUD3R
Cooling Titan Fenrir
Memory Corsair 6 GB 1600
Video Card(s) 3 x GTX 480's SLI
Storage OCZ Vertex 2E
Display(s) 3 x Dell 23" Surround
Case Coolermaster HAF-X
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX 1200
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
I have problems with my DP monitor misbehaving as well a dell p2310h. It just sometimes goes off and only way to sort it out is pull the lead and put back in. It has to be said most of the people have DP problems seem to dell users. We all went for native DP instead of using a active adaptor. I am still considering getting an active adaptor to see if the problems go away.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I think maybe pointing the finger at Dell monitors might be the ticket. I'll call 'em up yet again and see what they say this time...last time they blamed the vga.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Sry for doubleposting, but needed the bump, and I talked to Dell today.

They are sending me new monitors. I got mine before they were even really released, so I'm hoping to get a new revision that might fix the issue.

Problem with DP is a hardware conflict...well, the firmware of the gpu and the monitor aren't working well together, anyway. Seems a common issue for Dell monitors, and my sales agent tried to convince me to not use DisplayPort...but that ain't gonna happen here!

If this doesn't rectify the issue, I'll be upgrading to U2310H's, and for free. That means I'll have 6x U2310H...sounds like maybe time for some 6-monitor S-IPS eyefinity!

poo417

Processor I7 920 @ 4GHz
Cooling Titan Fenrir
Memory Corsair 6 GB 1600
Storage OCZ Vertex 2E
Case Coolermaster HAF-X
I spoke to dell and as per dell 'UK' I would have been better to poke myself in the eye with a stick. They want me to get order number that they gave scan when scan bought the monitors from them!!! I guess I am going to have to look at getting some different monitors. I won't be getting any more dell monitors that's for sure.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, Dell support can be problematic. It took some patience on my part, but they are checking hardware conflict issues, and should get back to me by tuesday.

They've replaced 3 monitors already for me on this issue, but of course, that doesn't change anything. They just wanted to swap out the monitor again...

I spoke to 10 different people, including a couple of "supervisors".

They have some database issues too, as apparantly I no longer have any warranty, but I paid extra for one, that includes accidental damage replacement, and it has not expired yet.

Also, according to Dell, my monitor has never left thier warehouse.

I spent that majority of the day on the phone with them yesterday...6 hours, actually...but I am happy with the outcome as it stands now.

poo417

Processor I7 920 @ 4GHz
Cooling Titan Fenrir
Memory Corsair 6 GB 1600
Storage OCZ Vertex 2E
Case Coolermaster HAF-X
Well I have finally got the numbers they required and they are sending me out the replacement monitors as well. Which like you I know they will be exactly the same. I did try and explain that there seems to be a growing number of people with the problem. For months I have been blaming ATI and Sapphire but it does seem to be pointing more to dell. Mine are coming on tues so will need to remember and bring them from home to work... great fun. :eek:

I am not sure what will happen after that. Like you I think the problem is just that these are older display port monitors and it is just a hardware conflict. I would not mind getting the U2410 either or the HP LP2475. Will see what happens.

System Name Project Neverending
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Corsair HX 150i Pro, Corsair ML 120/QL 120 fans
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo NVMe, 2 Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 (3440X1440), Samsung U28D590 (3840X2160)
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX X-Fi, Logitech 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000i
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Updates coming soon ®
I've got the opposite problem since installing the 10.5 drivers. My BenQ monitor connected via an active DP to DVI adapter now won't power off and sleep. Both straight DVI monitors power off properly.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
yeah displayport sucks... why they couldn't just make it vga is beyond me... :(

poo417

Processor I7 920 @ 4GHz
Cooling Titan Fenrir
Memory Corsair 6 GB 1600
Storage OCZ Vertex 2E
Case Coolermaster HAF-X
I've got the opposite problem since installing the 10.5 drivers. My BenQ monitor connected via an active DP to DVI adapter now won't power off and sleep. Both straight DVI monitors power off properly.

That has been a bug in the drivers for a while. I have used most of the beta's that have been out since march. The problem has been in and out of various versions since then. It started with all 3 not going to sleep but now it is just the DP monitor unless of coarse it decides it no longer is a display port monitor!!! then switches to sleep mode needing a cable pull. :laugh:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Well, the three new monitors arrived this morning(I love next-business day replacement), and they all have the same problem.

Maybe an issue with the vga firmware and DP, I dunno, but this is 6x XFX 5870 1gb, 1x HIS 58702GB, and now 10 monitors, all with the same issue. Or was it 12 monitors...so many parts now I can't keep track of it all.

At least Dell's hardware team should be looking into it.

I'll keep you guys informed of any info as it arises.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Ok, so today's testing is done. Here is a pic of the Dell monitors, all of which do not work right under DP. I tested both HD5870 1GB, and an Eyefinity6 2GB model. Sadly, I'll not be doing any 6-monitor gaming this weekend...I can toss up pics of the cards and such later, I just thought I'd leave you'all with this before I head out the door...I had really hoped to show you guys this working, and give some feedback on it.:cry:

:shadedshu

Attachments

• 189.jpg
    189.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,024
System Name Project Neverending
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Corsair HX 150i Pro, Corsair ML 120/QL 120 fans
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo NVMe, 2 Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 (3440X1440), Samsung U28D590 (3840X2160)
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX X-Fi, Logitech 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000i
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Updates coming soon ®
What's funny/sad/ironic/interesting is that all the displays ATi sends it team out with and sets up for reviewers are Dell based.

Model specific perhaps?

0Pluisje0

System Name mainsystem
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Motherboard standart intel fx58 rev12
Memory 6134MB RAM 1066mhz samsung
Video Card(s) ati radeon hd4650 saphire gfx card
Storage 1tb wdc
Display(s) acer 24inch x243h lcd monitor
Audio Device(s) onboard 7.1 channel audio
Power Supply 500watt delta psu
Software Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
these monitors look like 22 inch models. resolution should be like 1920x1080. or am i wrong fully thinking?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
What's funny/sad/ironic/interesting is that all the displays ATi sends it team out with and sets up for reviewers are Dell based.

Model specific perhaps?

Yeah, i don't get it. It should work just fine, but doesn't. It might be model specific..however, I have the same issues with Dell 3008's.

Some monitors won't even work at all if not connected while windows is running..cold boot, they(the monitors themselves) say there are issues with the cable....but I got me 6 DP cables, 3 different brands, even, 6, 10, and 20 FT. I'll go buy some new cables tomorrow, and try that too...

I'm probably even one of the first "consumers" to try it out...I don't see anyone else posting up about running 6 monitors....but DP issues are pretty commonly reported.

And I quite seriously spent 6 hours on the phone with Dell yesterday...I tried to get them to NOT send the monitors, as I knew it wouldn't fix it...even told the techs..."THIS WILL NOT FIX THE ISSUE". but as you can see, the monitors with green labels are the ones that arrived this morn.

Because the problems are evident for me, even before trying to get into any OS, I know it's not drivers or anything like that...

So when I comment that Eyefinity sucks...I'm not making this up, or exaggerating. God damn it, I wish I was...:shadedshu

But I'm not going to give up on this...

these monitors look like 22 inch models. resolution should be like 1920x1080. or am i wrong fully thinking?

Pretty close....They are P2310HC monitors...1920x1080 23-inch.

System Name i7 Rig.
Processor i7 3930K @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition
Cooling Custom, Liquid Cooled.
Memory 32gb DDR3 2133mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum
Video Card(s) 2x Gigabyte 780Ti Gigahertz Edition in SLI
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Display(s) 1x 30" Dell U3011, 2x 24" Dell U2414H
Case Corsair Obsidian 900D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply be quiet! Power Zone 1000W
Mouse Corsair Gaming CG M65 RGB
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Brown MX
Software Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit
Hey man, I had a similar problem as you in that the screen that was plugged into my Dell DP adapter was flickering every 10 minutes and no doubt if I did have sleep mode enabled I would have the same problem as you.

After doing some research, most people were saying to re flash the BIOS on your GPU (which I did) and it has been working like a dream ever since. I was googling for my problem but I have read about your problem along the way.

So I urge you to flash your GPU BIOS and feel excited about Eyefinity again :)

EDIT: Here is the link I used - http://www.overclockers.com/hd-5870-bios-flashing/ it was easier than I thought.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm no stranger to bios flashing.:laugh:

But...

Why the hell should I need to?:laugh:

J/K. Seriously, though, I really shouldn't need to. I agree that it might be the issue, for sure...it's either that or the bios for the monitor causing the issues...

So, what bios did you use? I will gladly tet it out. I have already tried ASUS, Sapphire, adn MSI, as well as the stock bios for my cards, and an updated one released by XFX in February.

I also have the issue on two completely different cards, so if this is a vga bios issue, we need to get it addressed ASAP, so other users don't have to deal with this.

Of course, XFX is dragging thier butts with my RMA with one of my cards. As they still have the card, and have yet to send back either the card, or a replacement, I'll be sure to bring it up with them..but aparantly they needed 3 days to acknowledge that they had received my card(and only did after I told them they signed for it, and if they didn't sign for it, I'd be filing a claim with the shipper), and another 3-4 days to test it(which is a joke, they've already told me testing should take no more than 24 hours.), so with all that said, I'm not feeling very confident on XFX's ability to provide good support...heck, the RMA was started over a month ago now...and I had to hold thier hands through the troubleshooting process, otherwise, they'd have simply told me there was nothing wrong..in fact, they basicalyl told me I was full of shit until I just outright told them the issue..when they should have directed me to test for the problem...I should start a thread about the experience I have had with them...

And on that note, I am more than ready to blame XFX. But before I go that route, i want to make perfectly sure that there can be no other cause.

System Name i7 Rig.
Processor i7 3930K @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition
Cooling Custom, Liquid Cooled.
Memory 32gb DDR3 2133mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum
Video Card(s) 2x Gigabyte 780Ti Gigahertz Edition in SLI
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Display(s) 1x 30" Dell U3011, 2x 24" Dell U2414H
Case Corsair Obsidian 900D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply be quiet! Power Zone 1000W
Mouse Corsair Gaming CG M65 RGB
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Brown MX
Software Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit
Ah ok.

It was the latest Sapphire one (as I have a Sapphire 5870 - first time GPU flashing).

If it is any help, this is my GPU-z:

From what I have read, Dell are very aware of the issues with the DP adapter and are happy to replace it. Some people have had good ones that work out the box and others haven't. I believe there are two versions of the Dell adapter to try and solve this problem (don't know if it does or not though).