• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can I get one big enough??

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
DONT DO IT!!!! This is not a good place for a fan.

1./ Very noisey at the front... Fans should be at the back
2./ Pushing air out of the front is going to get on your nerves. You cannot use a big fan to "suck air in"... it has nowhere to go, and will just create air-resistance noise

You should use this space to install a 5" TFT screen which you can drive from your second GPU port. COOL. You can play movies, MP3 player, temp enviroment monitor, P2P downloads monitor, email client etc.

If you need more cooling, then you have a problem with you PSU fans and your case fans.

A./ Does your PSU have two fans? They should be pushing air out of the case from the CPU area and out the back.
B./ Do you have a additional case fan pushing air OUT? Why not? Is the hole cut well, or it the fan trying to blow air through tiny holes? If so, dremel it open and install a proper fan guard
C./ Is enough "cool" air getting into the case? Make sure there is a hole open somewhere near the bottom of the case. If not, open your unused floppy space and leave it open, or put a small guard there. Better still if the hole was further down the case. Remove unused slot protectors from PCI slots. Consider Drilling a lot of holes into the BOTTOM of your case. Put slightly higher legs on it

REMEMBER the efficiency rule. Push hot air out from the upper quarter of the case. Have enough open holes near the bottom to let cool air draw in.

Casheti

DONT DO IT!!!! This is not a good place for a fan.

1./ Very noisey at the front... Fans should be at the back
2./ Pushing air out of the front is going to get on your nerves. You cannot use a big fan to "suck air in"... it has nowhere to go, and will just create air-resistance noise

You should use this space to install a 5" TFT screen which you can drive from your second GPU port. COOL. You can play movies, MP3 player, temp enviroment monitor, P2P downloads monitor, email client etc.

If you need more cooling, then you have a problem with you PSU fans and your case fans.

A./ Does your PSU have two fans? They should be pushing air out of the case CPU area and out the back.
B./ Do you have a additional case fan pushing air OUT? Why not? Is the hoel cut well, or it the fan trying to blow air through tiny holes? If so, dremel it open and install a proper fan guard
C./ Is enough air getting into the case? Make sure there is a hole open somewhere near the bottom of the case. If not, open your unused floppy space and leave it open, or put a small guard there. Better still if the hole was further down the case. Remove unused slot protectors from PCI slots. Consider Drilling a lot of holes into the BOTTOM of your case. Put slightly higher legs on it

1. PSU has ONE 140mm fan facing into the case. It seems to put a little amount of hot air into the case, and a lot of hot air comes out of the back of the PSU.

2. I only have 1X 80mm pushing air out and it isn't even at 100% speed. It's at the back.

3. I have removed all PCI protectors and drive bay protectors. Makes no fucking difference :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

psychotix11

It's actually a good place for a fan. Provided you have sufficient exhaust fans. Ideally you should be pushing more air out your case then you are pulling in. The standard ATX concept of "intake at the bottom front, exhaust at the upper back" is made to move air in a tunnel and take advantage of the air heating up. However more agressive cooling helps. Pulling air in the top directly over the CPU and sending it straight at the upper exhaust fans, exhausting air out the top, and pushing air out under the GPU will all help drop temps provided you can keep the air flowing.

I cut a hole in the three extra drive covers and attached a high RPM silverstone 120mm fan and slapped on a grille (do so or dust will go everywhere)

Pic of butchered case as I'm changing out the mobo and upgrading.

Casheti

Well, post as many pics of the case as you have please. I wanna see what you have done to it :D PM me if you like :p

psychotix11

Yeah sure I'll snap some. The case is take apart as I'm doing dust cleaning.

It was a cooler master wave master. It's a good case strong and sturdy. However it only had 2 80mm lower intake fans, and 1 80mm upper exhaust fan. I added a high RPM tri blade (really moves air) silver stone top fan. Replaced the 80mm exhaust with a delta tri blade fan (which also serves as the radiator fan for the liquid cooling system) carved out the front for the silverstone upper intake fan and cut a hole in one of the sides upper back parts for a 120mm low rpm exhaust.

My temps went down. The only loud fans are the 80mm exhausts but those are on a fan controler. (I tinkered with the wiring for the silverstone controler). So they can be at dust buster loud for suicide OC's or toned down for regular use.

Casheti

Wow...!!! What did you cut the side panel with? If it's anything I can do I'll cut a hole in the right side panel...put in a 120mm and bam. :D

Last edited:

psychotix11

Wow...!!! What did you cut the side panel with?

I used a specialized dremel and a large circular grind stone. It spins really fast and goes straight through any aluminum case. It's great for any time you need to cut in straight lines. Then after that you just screw the fan and grille onto the case. Simple enough. I used the same tool to cut through the drive bay covers. Then tapped them together while I screwed the 120mm fan + grille onto them, removed the tap and put the drive bay covers back in.

It's really not hard. Took about 10 mins to cut everything.

psychotix11

For you maybe it's not hard...:p

I thought the same until I tried my hand with one. It's suprisingly easy if you follow a few simple rules.

1. Buy a quality dremel, not a POS one. It should run you about 100 just for the tool.
2. Buy quality grinding stones and change them out.
3. Use a pencil to mark where you want to cut and then follow the lines.
4. Secure the item firmly before you cut.
:rockout:

psychotix11

Do you think my school's technology department will have a dremel? And all the right stuff?

If you have any sort of shop class, metal working, mechanical, or electrical type area they should. It's a fairly standard item. Just ask a teacher and tell them you want to cut through xx thick aluminum.

Casheti

Yeah, we got some pretty cool shit at school. I'll ask the teacher tomorrow. If so...then I can have an exhaust on the side :D

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.

psychotix11

Wait.........

One of the problems with water cooling is that you lose the airflow from the CPU fan, which is made to cool the area around it... thus you need to create more air flow so you don't fry you'r fets.

That zalman is passive, it doesn't help cool the fets and the board. It can even lead to a spike in temps.

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista

Casheti

one day....next year when I am 16 (June 5th) I will get some sort of job and build an entirely new PC. Core 2 Duo, Some awesome ram, good graphics, water cooling...I just have to wait....a VERY long time :(

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Cooling stock
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Audio Device(s) on-board
or use one of this: :)

Casheti

So that will let me connect 3 pin case fans to 4 pin molex?? Where do I get one?? Any eBay links? Or has anyone here got one?? :D

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Cooling stock
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Audio Device(s) on-board
So that will let me connect 3 pin case fans to 4 pin molex?? Where do I get one?? Any eBay links? Or has anyone here got one?? :D

i never used one
i jkust googled fan adapter ;)

System Name The 831
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 with X2O Delta CPU Waterblock
Motherboard ASUS P5N-E SLI
Cooling 8 x 120mm fans and X2O Delta CPU Waterblock X2O 400 12V Pump/Reservoir 240mm Radiator 10/8mm Tubing
Memory OCZ SLI Ready 4Gb PC2-6400 DDR2-800 5-4-4-15 (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB
Storage Western Digital 160GB SATA and a Western Digital 250GB SATA
Display(s) 22" ViewSonic Widescreen LCD
Case COOLERMASTER STACKER 831
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Power Supply OCZ ModStream 520w ATX2.2
Software WINDOWS XP HOME SP3