• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Announces Updated Macbook Air Lineup

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
heat probably is a problem though

Naaah, I don't think so. Ars answered some quick questions before the real review:

"Heat and noise. Do they get toasty under prolonged use?"

No noise that I can determine. I tried baking it with YouTube videos and I was able to get each core going at 30-40 percent, with the CPU core temperatures up to around 60°C. The bottom of the device did get pretty warm.

I then played four YouTube videos simultaneously to get the processors pegged around 75-80 percent, and five videos got the machine pushing both cores into 90 percent usage for a while. Obviously, most of the video wasn't playing well at this point, but the cores seemed to max out around 72-75°C, mostly because the fans kicked on after around 2-3 minutes.

I had to put my ear right up next to the back of the laptop to actually know for sure that the fans were really running. The fans are very quiet.

The temperature on the bottom of the device was what I would describe as mild. You can tell it's warmer, but maybe only 10 degrees above ambient. After about 5-7 minutes of this, and with the fans running for a while, it got slightly warmer. Still, it's nothing I haven't felt on any other laptop before, and nothing I would describe as "hot."

W

wahdangun

It's on a small, long, custom logic board. The long video pic showed it pretty clearly.

oh, but its doesn't change the fact that we can't upgrade it, and with just 2 GB ram? , with that cramped space i hope it won't overheat like ipad

that's why everybody, and i mean everybody, is making and selling 'laptop coolers' now...

oh, but its doesn't change the fact that we can't upgrade it, and with just 2 GB ram? , with that cramped space i hope it won't overheat like ipad

1. Yes it does. It's a normal SATA drive, just in a different form factor, similar to "mini PCI-E" SSDs. It is very likely that there will be third party upgrade parts.

2. Ars already stated it doesn't get very hot.

3. You can pay more for 4GiB.